Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
2016 25A Rear Twin Winterizing

I know, I know, there's all kinds of threads on this, google is your friend, read the manual, etc.

But you see, my name ain't majorairhead for nothin

I have a big Craftsman air compressor. What say YOU? Should I hook that bad boy up to the city water inlet with appropriate fitting, set the psi regulator to 60, have the kitchen sink faucet open in my airstream, and have at it, working my way through hot and cold all around the interior, not forgetting the outside shower? I think this is what my manual tells me to do, but sheesh, I'm scared

And, what about that air vs air/antifreeze argument? I mean, if I hit the lines with 60psi do I REALLY need to pump antifreeze through the freshwater lines?

Also, if I ONLY do air, what to do with water pump, just disconnect the outflow tubing and pump it dry? How's a guy know what the inlet/outlet side of the pump is anyhow? (that's a dumb question right there but hey, I wanna make sure )

But even more so, anybody know where the hot water heater bypass is on my unit?

And finally......promise, what's this about a filter under the kitchen sink, anybody have specifics on how to do that? Remove filter? Replace with some kind of pipe, is that true?

What's a 57 yr. old country boy to do but ask?

Thanks friends,
majorairhead

Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I blow out and pump in antifreeze. My water heater by pass valves are at the water heater. I have a plug that replaces the filter canister under the kitchen sink.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
MajorAirhead: I have a 25A Signature Twin. The WH bypass valve is located behind a removable panel INSIDE your street-side storage compartment under the bed.
The filter is under the kitchen sink against the side wall closest to the door. I removed mine some time ago because it leaked and I used an external filter attached to the hose. Your dealer should have given you a 14 inch piece of pipe (with fittings on each end). Just take out filter, and, replace with this pipe.
BTW: We're neighbors --- I live in Littlestown.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Winterizing with Anti freeze is a 10 min process. Why make it more complicated by blowing out water that won't be there once the antifreeze is pumped thru. Remove Filter it is just a waste to pump anti freeze thru it.

Just MHO.

Thanks
Joe D
Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Winterizing with Anti freeze is a 10 min process.
But it takes a lot of flushing the lines in the spring to ensure there's no anti-freeze aftertaste.

Just blow out all the lines (kitchen hand sprayer, toilet flush, black tank flush too)

IMO.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I use both air pressure directly from my air compressor, (properly regulated to 60 psi), and anti-freeze. Then I'm sure I'm safe if all the water didn't get out of a low spot somewhere. I also use the air to blow out at the black tank rinse fitting.

Also, unless you've somehow gotten all the water out of your P-traps, you need to pour anti-freeze in all the drains.

Why risk an expensive repair job for such a small amount of time and money invested?

In almost 30 years of RVing, I've only once had trouble getting the anti-freeze taste out of a system, and that was when I made the mistake of buying peppermint flavored anti-freeze. Yuck!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
In answer to your original question, YES. Your compressor will do a fine job. It's what I have been doing for the past 9 years. Anti-freeze ONLY in the sink/ drain traps and a little in the toilet. ( not the tank ). Don't forget the black tank flush and outside shower if you have one. I hooked my water pump up with push plugs and plan to remove it this year just for good measure. I have a whole house water filter so I unscrew the canister and just put a new filter in in the spring. EZY.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Thank yo.u each for your input. I'm undecided on exactly when to winterize, I imagine some time before November. I'll be snooping around here looking for the hose that replaces that water filter, it may be under the sink, or in a kitchen drawer. I do have the hose that I assume connects to the pump to pump anti freeze through. Thanks again
Old 10-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Oradell , New Jersey
I have a 25A rear twin FC as well, and thanks, glcmranger, I was wondering how to get at the bypass valve. The Airstream manual only shows the location for the FB's and the other lengths. As far as the winterizing is concerned, I was told this from an Airstream tech in northern California: Just put some anti freeze in the freshwater tank(after emptying everything), pump it through all the faucets, put some in the p-traps and DONE. Avoids all the direct hookups with the pump itself. Anybody else done this? This will be my first winterizing.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
Just put some anti freeze in the freshwater tank(after emptying everything), pump it through all the faucets, put some in the p-traps and DONE. Avoids all the direct hookups with the pump itself. Anybody else done this? This will be my first winterizing.
Now that's almost too easy. I'd really like to have this process confirmed as an option, as majorairhead would only have to take a half a day to wrap his head around the idea, and another half day to accomplish the task

Would be super fantastic if an airstream tech from the company would confirm this as being an acceptable option.....It would make an easy on the road winterization process too, when returning north from a trip south over winter.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
I was told this from an Airstream tech in northern California: Just put some anti freeze in the freshwater tank(after emptying everything), pump it through all the faucets, put some in the p-traps and DONE. Avoids all the direct hookups with the pump itself. Anybody else done this? This will be my first winterizing.
Bad advice. Have to use too much antifreeze to make sure the tank pickup pipe can suck it up. Latent water in tank would dilute the antifreeze. Plus you now have to flush the tank as well as the lines.

Install a winterizing valve near the water pump and pump the antifreeze through the lines directly from the container.

Me, I blow out, circulate antifreeze and blow that out. Use a shop vac to suck water out of the traps. Use the residual antifreeze to fill the traps to keep sewer smell at bay. Use only glycol based RV antifreeze, not the alcohol based solution.

Greg
Old 10-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
My 2016 19 ft flying cloud doesn't seem to have an easy way to connect a pump bypass.all the connections seem to be pressed on with no easy unscrew connections
Any ideas out there for Winterizing
The pump is located under the front dinette compartment,,,no idea where the hot water tank or bypass is either
Old 10-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
My thoughts

I don't think winterizing an AS is much different than any other RV. Just keep it simple, install a winterizing kit, this will bypass the WH and allow you to draw antifreeze from near the water pump vs. the freshwater tank. Pull the plug or drain valve on the WH to drain and I leave the drain open. I take out my undersink filter and install the filter "plug". Attach a hose or set your valves on the water pump to draw RV anti-freeze into your system, turn faucets on furthest away from pump first and work your way back until pink RV anti-freeze comes out of all of them, including the shower and toilet. I then pour a cup of anti-freeze in each drain and into the toilet bowl. Make sure all paper, food products, etc are removed. Drain all tanks, remove batteries, set mouse traps ( I do). I don't add anti-freeze to fresh water tanks or blow out lines(have before, but made little difference) Never had any water freeze damage and reside in upstate.New York... I'm sure others have techniques that work for them... good luck...
JDB
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Here are the instructions I developed after following a good Airstream mechanic's method with a 5HP compressor. Note that with the blowout method the water heater bypass is irrelevant. It is needed to avoid filling the water heater with antifreeze if that method is employed.

Airstream Winterization, Small Compressor Blowout Method

1. Dump Holding Tanks
2. Drain Freshwater. The tank drain plug on the side of the tank uses a 7/16 square wrench (I replaced the plastic valve with a plug before I want to Alaska.)
3. Open the freshwater Low Point Drains on the bottom of the freshwater tank

4. Drain the water heater
a. Open the water heater overpressure valve
b. Open the water heater drain valve in the curb-side storage compartment
c. Syphon residual water from the heater through the drain plug .(this is optional. The Atwood manual says the residual water can freeze without damage. The step does help to get the crud out of the tank though.)
d. Replace the drain plug and close the overpressure valve

5. Connect a HP air compressor to city water inlet and turn it on. Always leave at least one valve open.

6. When no more water comes from the low point and water heater drains close them. With a large (~5HP) compressor they should remain open.)

7. Turn on each faucet individually.
a. Galley and galley sprayer
b. Bath sink
c. Shower
d. Outside shower
e. Close toilet lid, then open flush valve for about five minutes

8. Turn on the water pump and let it run until it is silent/no water present.

9. Continue air pressure until only light mist escapes
10. Turn off and disconnect the air compressor
11. Galley water filter, if present, may remain installed
12. All faucets remain open
13. Reopen low point drains
14. Divide a gallon of RV antifreeze among the galley, shower, and bath sink. Pour and inch into the head and leave it to lubricate the seal.
15. Disconnect the hoses from the water pump and drain the water pump strainer. Leave disconnected.
16. Blow out the black water flush