Old 10-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Littleton , Colorado
1972 27ft over lander rear bath

I'm not new to trailers but new 2 airstream. I just got this trailer (now owner manual), I live in Colorado so witerizing has to be spot on. This trailer has no bypass valve near the water pump so I could have the pump suck in antifreeze. I was not able to find a drain plug for fresh water tank. I found a valve under the sink marked (tank drain valve) when open I didn't see any water out side. So not sure what the best way to winterize. I didn't find any bypass to hot water tank nor drain plug for hot water tank.
I don't think I should just pump antifreeze in to the fresh water tank - any help is appreciated, thanks in advance . Dan

goodcardio4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There should be drains scattered around the trailer. If your Overland is like my Tradewinds, there'll be a couple down below the floor under the galley sink and another in the bathroom behind the toilet and possibly another in the closet of the bathroom. They look like the red, cast metal handles you see on an outdoor hose bib. The drain for the water heater is a little plug right at the face of the water heater, not likely a bypass on yours unless someone installed it. Open all the drains and raise and lower the trailer with the jack to drain the water and then blow the lines with a compressor.

You can order the owners manuals for your model year from Airstream.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Littleton , Colorado
Ok I'll give that a try - I saw the blue and red handle valves under the sink and in the rear, I'll open every thing and see I've I can find a drain plug behind toilet for the hot water tank. I think figured out there is only one holding tank ( for black and grey water) let me know if I'm wrong on that. I'll bite the bullet and get an owners manual and service manual.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Yes, the 1972 only had the black tank. The drain behind the toilet won't be for the water heater but for the pipes serving the bathroom (of course I'm assuming that the 27' might be similar to my 25' of the same year). There should be a threaded nut somewhere on the face of the heater (viewed from outside) that can be removed and the water will flow out onto the ground. I'm assuming that you have the original Bowen water heater.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Littleton , Colorado
Hi Cameront120
First let me say thanks for the tips. I've made some progress and will work more on it today. I have a window of 5 days or so -- weather is being cooperative.
1) I ordered the owners manual, so that will help, hopefully.
2) I opened all valves under the sink and in the rear driver street side.
a) water drained out to the street from a tube under the galley ,the trailer is fairly level, left/right, front/back (at least according to my IPHONE ha ha)
b) I got a very minor drip from the cap on the sewer pipe (water must have collected in the line)
c) I connected an air compressor to a pipe connection next to the rear bumper street side- it looks like a standard hose connection. all it did was push air out of a small tube that came out below the bumper street side.
d) I turned on the water pump and ran the sinks until no more water came out (before i opened valves)

My next trick is to install a bypass line on the input line of the water pump. This will allow me to have the pump suck in antifreeze from a jug. Then I can turn on shower, both sinks and run toilet - until everyone is pink.

I will first have to investigate draining the hot water tank. My first guess is the red and blue valves in the rear that I opened went to the hot water tank. The back side of the water tank is in a small cabinet in the bathroom, however it has a housing that has never been removed. I looked twice for a drain plug on the outside but will look again. I'll have to send a note to the previous owner and ask him.

Once again, thanks and your thoughts are welcome - any better ideas, I would like to know.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I think the drain on the water heater depends on the year/model. I've seen the Bowens with and without, so yours may not have one. Do you know if the water heater is original to the trailer? Does it still work? The new Atwood water heaters are a straight swap and give you the option of electronic start as well as having both gas and electric heating. I replaced mine with a new model several years ago and loved the fact that I didn't need to go outside to light the water heater.