Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Mountlake Terrace , Washington
Yet another jacking question

First I read all the threads and then looked at my 77 argosy 24t. My axle mount plates are just vertical plates and I see now C channel for the frame. The shock mounts are also bolted to this vertical plate. Can I jack at the shock mount between the tires?
Sorry for the question but I want to be clear on this before I jack up the trailer to ck the brakes. Hoping for help.
Brian

Old 05-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I usually jack on that vertical mounting plate, myself. Many posts will tell you to never jack on the axle. The location of the "jack here" stickers on my Caravel were just aft of the mounting plate, directly under the frame.

Some folks think you will bend the frame, others are concerned that the thin edge of the mounting plate makes it more likely to somehow scoot off the jack. I think either the frame right aft of the mounting plate or the moutning plate itself are fine, just watch out for interference of tire/wheel as you jack.

Stay off the axle.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
After dropping belly panels I will never jack anywhere but on verticle axle bracket. The indicated spots are merely for stabilizer locations - lifting trailer from these points damages frame and chances collapse from betting the jack is at correct point; attempting to lift from axle is final doom to the axle...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you jack on the axle mounting plate you can easily bend it or slip off it. It is particularly dangerous if your jack is on a soft surface like grass or uneven such as gravel. If you are on asphalt you might get away with it. I always go the safe route and jack on the frame just ahead of or behind the wheels. If the decal is missing, you can judge by the location of the rivets. Remember to always have the unit still attached to the TV or blocked front and back on the other side to prevent movement. The tonque jack stand is not enough to guarentee things will stay stationary.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Mountlake Terrace , Washington
I've jacked hundereds of vehicles from the shock point as it is a stressed member and supports the frame/body. So am I safe in assuming that it is safe to jack from this point Between the wheels>
Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w/oapaddle
I've jacked hundereds of vehicles from the shock point as it is a stressed member and supports the frame/body. So am I safe in assuming that it is safe to jack from this point Between the wheels>
Brian
Jacking the trailer from a shock stud, should never be done.

That stud will bend causing another problem.

Jacking from the axle mounting plate is the only, "safe", option.

Andy
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w/oapaddle
Brian

Shocks never support frame/body members on any vehicle. That is the job of a spring. The function of a shock is to dampen movement only. If the shock mounting point is attached to an axle you may get away with the above lifting proceedure. (Key word is may) Lifting a vehicle from a shock mounting point was not in the design on that part for almost any vehicle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action