Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
Wiring question about ol' Jack

Last year my univolt died so I replaced it. In the process I also replaced the old glass fuse panel with a bladed one. I didn't connect the car battery charge line (blue line) because I never have my truck connected to my trailer when hooked up to shore power. Now all 12 volt circuits work except my electric tongue jack. Could this be the result of not connecting the blue line?

Or, could it be because I seem to have found an extra wire coming out of what looks to be a solenoid directly under my jack motor. I don't remember this wire not being connected last year, when my jack worked fine. I have one wire coming from my switch and connecting to a wire from my trailer tongue. Two wires coming from the solenoid? one being connected to another wire coming from the trailer tongue and the other just swinging loose. I was wondering if this wire should be grounded to the trailer? The jack is an old one ('71 Excella). Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! And fast please as I would like to hit the road this afternoon.
JoBuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums!
A tongue jack is like any other piece of electrical equipment, it will need power and ground in order to work. It sounds like your ground wire came loose, try touching the end of this wire (with some wire exposed) to the jack itself, or something else metal that is connected to the trailer, anbd try to operate the jack. If it works, you have your answer. If nothing happens, and you either get a big spark, or smoke, the wire should not be grounded.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
buckaroo

first, welcome to the forum.

yes the blue wire runs your jack, reconnect it and it should work.

as for the "solenoid" are you sure it is not your break away switch? does it have a hole in the front of it?

john
Old 11-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #4

1971 31' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll be sure to connect the blue wire and go from there. I'll also look more into the "solenoid/break away". Thanks again. This airstream forum idea is great!
JoBuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBuckaroo
Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll be sure to connect the blue wire and go from there. I'll also look more into the "solenoid/break away". Thanks again. This airstream forum idea is great!
The breakaway switch is for the trailer brakes, in case the trailer comes unhitched from the tow vehicle. The force of this happening will pull a lanyard,(available from most trailer supply places), which will apply the trailer brakes, stopping it quickly, and (hopefully) without injuring anyone around.