Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Where to place level in camper to get truest reading

I set up my 25FC using a bubble level on back bumper but at night feel like I'm rolling out of bed. Where can I get a true reading of AS attitude? I don't mean whether my trailer is happy or not, lol.

Southern Belle on the road
Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Leveling is most critical for the refrigeration unit so leveling from inside the refrigeration box makes the most sense. If you want to level so you don't roll out of bed try a 2' level on the floor. I keep a 2' level in my truck and usually level from just inside the entry door.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We use a small (9 inch) level on the kitchen counter top. Works fine.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I level on the floor inside the entry door on the floor using a level app on my iPhone....

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I found the belt line mounted on the sides and front of my Airstream matches the floor level. I just use a torpedo level on the belt line and it feels level inside and is close to level in the fridge. It may or may not work for you. Some members mount bubble levels on the front but I prefer not to add them to the outside of my Airstream.

Kelvin
Old 10-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
It's possible your bed itself is not level. I've seen complaints about the twin beds, I have not seen the same with the queen, but I suppose it is possible.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
It's possible your bed itself is not level. I've seen complaints about the twin beds, I have not seen the same with the queen, but I suppose it is possible.
That sounds like the voice of experience talking, right there. I'd check the beds first!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Get the longest level you can and put it on the floor and level the trailer, I used a 6' level I borrowed from my dad.
Once the trailer is level find some convenient places to place a small level and check those for level, then remember what spots are parallel to the floor.
My tongue and top of fridge both measure the same as the floor so I use a small torpedo level and set from those two spots.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Ditto on the floor. Modern fridges are not that sensitive to an out of level condition. If you are comfortable then the fridge should be fine. The iPhone app works great. You'll find it with the compass app. Slide left or right and it'll change to the level app.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
Get the longest level you can and put it on the floor and level the trailer, I used a 6' level I borrowed from my dad.
Once the trailer is level find some convenient places to place a small level and check those for level, then remember what spots are parallel to the floor.
My tongue and top of fridge both measure the same as the floor so I use a small torpedo level and set from those two spots.
That's my procedure too. I keep a small bubble level in my toolbox & use it on the tongue when I start the parking process.
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Since fridge is truly the most critical component affected by level, I've used a round bubble level placed on the floor of the freezer compartment. Once getting that dead on, I made my initial adjustments on my dealer supplied level which is mounted just below the front window guard. Now I just use that outside level when I set up.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I also use the kitchen counter, but have read here and agree that the really critical spot to level is the stove top.
Do all of your eggs end up on one side of the pan?

See its critical , roll out of bed meh, piled up eggs unacceptable.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We use a small (9 inch) level on the kitchen counter top. Works fine.
That's where I place mine, but I have a small triangle level that has 2 site windows, one for each plane. If both are in the zone I perform 2 final checks. The fridge door needs to stay where you put it or go closed, not go backwards toward the closet. The other test is the bathroom door should stay were you put it. It's not exactly in the other plane but close enough.

If all of these match then we drop the anchor.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Ditto on the floor. Modern fridges are not that sensitive to an out of level condition. If you are comfortable then the fridge should be fine. The iPhone app works great. You'll find it with the compass app. Slide left or right and it'll change to the level app.
I don't know about modern fridges but ours is 50 years old. Yes, I hold my breath a little every time we use it but I count its longevity to the fact that we have never let it run more than 15 or 20 minutes out of level. I use a 3 ft level across the A-frame then level front to back with a small stick-on level on the side near the door. In neither case do I allow the bubble to be more than 1/4 bubble out of level. I then double check with a round bubble level on the counter top immediately above the reefer to ensure that no part of the bubble is outside the inner circle. I have checked the level of the reefer itself with several torpedo levels over the years and compared to the round bubble level so I know it is truthful. You can bet if the reefer is level you will sleep level and you can be sure the reefer won't be damaged by operating out of level.

Another thing we do is run steel wool up and down inside the steel flue pipe after covering the burner with foil once or twice a year. This removes any scale that has built up and helps ensure even heating. In our older model, scale can build up even if only electric heat is used. I don't know if this is really important or not but having been taught it many years ago and having so far no problems I find it simple enough to do anyway.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I level on the floor inside the entry door on the floor using a level app on my iPhone....
I do this or we keep a bubble level in that small cabinet space under the stove.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
For fine-tuning, I use an ordinary, 24" carpenter's level: across trailer tongue; rear bumper; place level flush under each window frame. As far as I'm concerned, if the bubble touches either line on the level, it's is "good enough."

But if you're rolling out of bed, perhaps you should level your bed instead of your rig. LOL

Seriously, an unlevel bed is worth checking in to. In this business, stranger things have happened.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
I like it convenient, lol... My computerized hydraulic system:

www.ep-hydraulics.nl/en

Greetings from Switzerland - Werner
Cruiser6483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
On my 30' FC, I put a torpedo level on the freezer floor, and jacked up the nose till level.
I then set two bubble levels, (One on each A-frame arm) to match the torpedo level.
When the nose is jacked up to level, the whole 'house' sits several degrees nose high, but that's all right. The eggs don't slid to one side of the pan, and the bed is very comfortable. (I store the AS on a level pad that I had poured out back.)
For lateral (East-West) leveling, I have one those 'steel ball in a tube of fluid' affairs mounted under the front window. It works.

Just Two 'Trailer Trash' living in a 'Tin-Can Shack'.

"Look after your Equipment, it'll look after You."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Torpedo level on freezer floor
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser6483 View Post
I like it convenient, lol... My computerized hydraulic system:

www.ep-hydraulics.nl/en

Greetings from Switzerland - Werner
That is nice.
HUGE problem though, Airstream trailers are not stiff enough to handle being leveled that way. It would twist the body, possibly causing problems such as leaks and not being able to close the door.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote