Old 10-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Last one was broken by road debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #44
"SPACE A"

2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas
Lay a Torpedo level on the outside of the screen of an open window then close the window if desired. Leave it forever. Be sure an use a window closest to the wheels.
That way you are not being influenced by frame twist from leveling. Also use a large RV level bolted to the front rock guard so that you can see it when pulling on a parking spot. This procedure will be the fastest way to level up. Using the floor over the wheels would be good, but your weight will influence the level accuracy. Counter tops are notorious for not being installed perfectly level in relation to the frame during the original build.
guskmg

Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Thanks Joe!! I am on the notification list.

They are now in stock at Amazon. Got one coming my way.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #46
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Looked up the LevelMate Pro on Amazon, which then also mentioned the ReVo leveler.

Has anybody tried the ReVo leveler? If so, wondering whether you liked it. Seems similar to the LevelMate Pro, minus the bluetooth. Surprisingly, it's a little more expensive but I like the ability to charge it from a 12V outlet vs. buying more batteries.

http://www.revoleveler.com or https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V8RRIKE

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
I also use the kitchen counter, but have read here and agree that the really critical spot to level is the stove top.
Do all of your eggs end up on one side of the pan?

See its critical , roll out of bed meh, piled up eggs unacceptable.

Cheers Richard
Have to agree on that one. I usually forget about it though when I am setting level and when it comes time for my eggs I realize I've done it again. Rats!

George
Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #48
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Our Airstream dealer says that if you operate your fridge while stationary and off-level, you're risking that fridge going "kerflooey." He further says that if your fridge goes on the fritz because of this, the fix is quite expensive.

So, if I have to choose between leveling the eggs or the fridge, I'm choosing the fridge.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Our Airstream dealer says that if you operate your fridge while stationary and off-level, you're risking that fridge going "kerflooey." He further says that if your fridge goes on the fritz because of this, the fix is quite expensive.

So, if I have to choose between leveling the eggs or the fridge, I'm choosing the fridge.
Haven't had an issue with my fridges in 19 years but I've messed up some eggs😆
Old 10-16-2016, 11:05 PM   #50

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post

Yep, pretty much why I measure from the floor of the freezer with a round bubble level and then use that to set up the level mounted on the trailer. Setting from any other point without correlation makes the assumption that the fridge was installed level at the factory. But as we all have seen, assuming everything is done correctly on a hand built trailer has been proven to be fleeting.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I use the bubble level on my iPhone. I place the phone on a stove burner. With that level, everything else is very, very close, some things are right on. I cook a lot. Works for me.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
If the fridge can operate on the road going uphill, downhill, around curves and deal with roads that have a strong crown for getting water off the road, why does it have a problem in the campground where it's sitting still and a half bubble off plumb? Traveling on the Interstate you'll see the road is not flat and level but slopes to the left or right to eliminate rain water. Why isn't this a problem for the Dometic if you're traveling with it on?

When backing our AS into our site I've asked my wife if she would hop out and fry a couple of eggs on the stove to ensure we were level. She says our little bubble level is just fine. (She really said something else but I'm going with the above statement instead.)

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I just received my LevelMate from Amazon yesterday and hope to try to install it this coming weekend. Looks easy enough - I am going to install behind drawer in center night stand on our FB. It is wood and should be no issue attaching to the wood backing of the cabinet with the drawer out.

I am going to follow the advice here and use the fridge as my level guide although I normally use the kitchen counter with an 8" level when camping.

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page: http://www.shaggycentral.net/bigeffr/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yes, the newer Dometics are designed to accommodate all those out-of-level conditions temporarily, but not a seriously tilted permanent home. To repeat the advice in Post #33, if the trailer feels level to you as you walk around inside, it is level enough for modern Dometic fridges.

Our owners manuals say this also BTW, not that anyone takes the time to check usually . . .

You can get some wife-credits by telling her she is right -- that the bubble level is accurate enough (assuming it has been calibrated correctly). I just put a small torpedo level inside the entry door when unhitching.

People tend to way over-think this IMO.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If the fridge can operate on the road going uphill, downhill, around curves and deal with roads that have a strong crown for getting water off the road, why does it have a problem in the campground where it's sitting still and a half bubble off plumb? Traveling on the Interstate you'll see the road is not flat and level but slopes to the left or right to eliminate rain water. Why isn't this a problem for the Dometic if you're traveling with it on?

When backing our AS into our site I've asked my wife if she would hop out and fry a couple of eggs on the stove to ensure we were level. She says our little bubble level is just fine. (She really said something else but I'm going with the above statement instead.)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You can get some wife-credits by telling her she is right -- that the bubble level is accurate enough
Peter
Our Airstream travel rules:
Rule #1: Momma is always right
Rule #2: If it should ever occur that momma is wrong, consult rule #1 immediately.

I agree, Peter, this leveling thing is way over analyzed; analysis paralysis. There have been some good ideas here but I'm sticking with my little bubble level on the counter and lack of fridge door movement. Everything in your trailer is designed with the consideration that some people aren't going to pull out a carpenter's level every time they park.

Except for some scientific instruments, most appliance will work if not perfectly level. My brother had a house where he could put his bowling ball by the back door and let it go. It would eventually roll out the front door. The fridge, washing machine and dryer all worked fine for the 8 years they lived there. He does lean to the right and his wife to the left, not sure if the house had anything to do with that or not.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

I was told that the problem with the fridge not being level is that the coolant in the fridge can pool and act as a clog. Not sure about where you drive but, most roads I drive on have bumps and/or turns which actually help keep the circulation going in the fridge.