Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
a fellow airstreamer swears by the little yellow standard wheel chocks... he says the 'between wheel' adjustable type is bad for the wheel bearings... i can't imagine the load from my scissor type (hensley) chocks is anymore abuse than what you get driving down the road.. ?? thoughts??
I think you hit the nail on the head with your logic. How could the chock apply more force than driving down a Michigan road?

I sell the BAL (the same chock the orange company copied) and the Rotochok. Both go between the wheels. I've never had a complaint with the hudreds of sets I've sold.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
we use a pair of these

Bal delux wheel locks from Camping World
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
Dogs rule!

1972 23' Safari
Big Cove , Alabama
I use the BAL tandem wheel chocks and really like them. They are a little heavy, but are easy to install and remove. The thing I like most about them is the way they end any front to back movement of the trailer when parked and unhitched. The trailer feels solid as a rock when you climb in and out or move around inside. Camping World sometimes runs these on sale at a very good price.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
These are the ones I have...one for each side. However good they are, they won't stand up to an F-250 diesel. I forgot to remove one and drove off with it still between the wheels. It bent the heck out of one side of the part that rest against the tires. It appeared to have kicked out side ways and the rear wheel ran over it, but it may have bent first, I don't know. I didn't have them pushing too tight against the tires though since my yard where the trailer was parked isn't very unlevel.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhoundz
I use the BAL tandem wheel chocks and really like them. They are a little heavy, but are easy to install and remove. The thing I like most about them is the way they end any front to back movement of the trailer when parked and unhitched. The trailer feels solid as a rock when you climb in and out or move around inside. Camping World sometimes runs these on sale at a very good price.
They do make the trailer rock solid when unhitched. I have sold hundreds of them and never had one returned for not working. They also now make one that can accept a padlock to lock them in place. I don't stock that one but it is the same price.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
True Confessions

For edification of other stubborn old farts, and the younger ones too

#1 Ruined a perfectly good aluminum between the tires chock that came with my 73 by not checking it was removed before driving off. They hold good.

#2 Figuring I don't really need chocks anyway, unhitched on a very slight incline without chocking. And yes, those aluminum wheely thingys that fit on the bottom of your jack really do roll good. Picture me thinking I could stop a 5000# trailer in motion by grabbing hold of the A frame. No damage other than the split in the seat of my pants and ego, but slid off into a ditch and took a good deal of jacking with a bottle jack to get her hitched up again.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I love our Bal Delux Wheel Chocks. They are very high quality and hold rock solid. But, since I worry (probably needlessly!) about a tire losing air, I usually also use standard wheel chocks when camped on sloping ground. Just a bit paranoid I guess!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
I love our Bal Delux Wheel Chocks. They are very high quality and hold rock solid. But, since I worry (probably needlessly!) about a tire losing air, I usually also use standard wheel chocks when camped on sloping ground. Just a bit paranoid I guess!
Do you also wear suspenders with your belt?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #29
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Chokes

Try Rotochok.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How do the wheel locks stabilze the trailer movement, if someone doesn't mind educating me? That sounds like a big plus. If the air is let out of the tires do they slip off? We use lynx levelers and plain rubber chocks that we have used for years since our first trailering days and a simple padlock on the hitch which we realize is not securing the unit against theft.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Carol: with tandem wheels, the facing surfaces of adjacent tires want to go in opposite directions ... that is, if the trailer is moving forward or trying to, the forward surface of the rear tire is going downward, while the rearward surface of the front tire is going upward. The between-the-tire chocks take advantage of this relative motion by wedging in between the tires and preventing it. Then the wheels can't roll. No roll, no trailer movement. No trailer movement, happy camper! I'm sure if you lost enough air, even rotochocks would fall out, but as someone else said earlier, if that much air is lost, you've already got BIG problems!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks AirsDream! Karma going your way! I like stability!! I wonder if I could get by with a do it yourself cheapie or just should bite the bullet and buy yet another little something for the AS.

I didn't mean my tires would be leaking that badly, please NO! I meant that I wondered if someone could let the air out, remove the chock and then use a compressor to refill the tires, if someone was depending on the chock for remote area security.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Devices which prevent the trailer from moving are an important safety item. A/S and other high end types should have something like rotochok standard. It is not just a matter of campground convenience, but when making an unscheduled stop on the shoulder for reasons one cannot plan for.

Just like having D.O.T. triangle reflectors and some flares, good chocks are a necessity.

The strongest "ordinary" chock are the type sold to prevent tractor-trailers from rolling; big, heavy, ribbed rubber triangular shaped ones.

The 815# style is what I carried as an OTR driver (required by some companies, just like hard hat, steel toes, etc)

Checkers® Industrial

I keep some old aluminum lever-style chocks that I can lock, on the trailer; they're hard to remove once placed. In the back seat of the TV I keep the BAL chocks shown above. I'd have bought the rotochoks had I known of them.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Ford Truck. I use the same ones that you mentioned and like the way they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca
The only problem I see with the Rotochuks is you loose effectiveness if the tire(s) loose pressure. If you loose enough pressure the chock would fall out and who knows where your trailer is going to end up. Anyone have this experience?
Hi, kamadeca. This could be true, but I use two chocks; This would mean that I would have to get one low tire on each side of my trailer at the same time. [not likely to happen]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I didn't mean my tires would be leaking that badly, please NO! I meant that I wondered if someone could let the air out, remove the chock and then use a compressor to refill the tires, if someone was depending on the chock for remote area security.
Carol makes an important point if you are using the rotochocks for security. Even the new models with the ability to add a pad lock would be less effective if someone let enough air out of the tires, I think. On the other hand, would the tire slump and expand laterally to keep pressure against the rotochock as the air was released or would it allow the rotochock to become loose and be removed? BTW, as I mentioned before, I drove off with one set left in the road side tandom and I ran over it as I was pulling out so I'm not sure how good they would be at preventing theft. (I have a stump pulling diesel, though.) I think the pad lock would be more to prevent the rotochoks from being stolen, not the trailer.

I apply just enough pressure to stabilize the trailer. I realize that I'm not going to be applying as much pressure in one spot with the rotochocks as the weight of the trailer bearing down on one spot on the ground, but I still worry about making the tire get out of round if the pressure from the rotochock is applied for too long such as while stored between trips...something I don't think Carol has to worry about...that woman doesn't let moss grow beneath her feet before she is off again!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just got an e-mail ad from Camping World. They are having a big sale and one of the "Top 25" items they have on sale is the "Deluxe Tire Locking Chock" for $44.99. I think that is what I paid for mine last fall. I was waiting specifically for them to go on sale since they usually do so twice a year. BTW, this is the price for one chock. You will need to order two at this price, each, if you want one for each side of the coach.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Other Alternatives

Here are a couple of solutions I spotted at the October Branson rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel-Blocks-1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	58229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chock-a-Block.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	58230  

Old 04-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Now I like that first one made from wood - guess I'll be in the garage tonight......

Thank You - those I can afford.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Do you also wear suspenders with your belt?
OK, let me get back up off the floor..
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Chatham Chocks

I bought a pair of chocks via ebay. I do not see them listed now but here is an email address for Chatham Chocks: kbakker@tds.net
Price was $35/pair plus shipping $30. Price was reasonable and no extra tools needed.
Attached Images

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote