Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
It seems to be a recurring theme, various jack failures, electrical, mechanical and lots of discomfort.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Newnan , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
My stock jack's gears stripped at an AS Rally last July. I replaced it with a Husky 5000 --- wow, that's'a sum jack!!!
Will the manual crank, being on the top of the jack, work properly or will the propane tank cover interfere with it?
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
What to do IF tongue jack fails?

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Hus...k-HT87247.aspx

Scott,

Etrailer has a video hope it shows in this link. They demo at 4 min mark in video. Some of the interference question might also need to know if you have 30 or 40 lb propane tanks.

Mine is 40 if you like I could look at mine tomorrow and look at clearance to tank cover.

FWIW my manual crank has never been used. Husky installed 2008?

I just checked your location. One of my slider buddies lives in Newnan.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 05-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Will the manual crank, being on the top of the jack, work properly or will the propane tank cover interfere with it?
I had the OEM jack (Attwood) leave me stranded. I had the truck connected and the rear end of the truck/trailer in the air to connect the bars.
Imagine my surprise when it refused to go down. I couldn't disconnect, and I couldn't drive away.
So, I dug out the crank. I couldn't budge it down. Of course, I was in a storage yard, and none of my friends answered their phones to bring me a bottle jack.

The solution was to dig out all my boards, and use the Tundra jack under the truck's receiver. Once the weight was off the jack it moved.

I replaced it with the Husky 5000, which I raved about....mostly. Lately, the "UP" switch stops working. I can put it in "Down" for a second then jump to UP and it works.
I haven't tried the remote to see if that works too.
It's impossible to repair the switch. Opening the top is a mistake, since it's sealed with a tiny bead of Silicone, and then you discover it's packed with electronics.

Yes, the crank is on the top. There's also a "clutch" lever on the street side that you move to release the gears.

I'm guessing the crank hits the tank cover, so my solution is a 3/8" ratchet with a long extension and a socket. Also, removing the tank cover while you crank is not that big a deal.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Newnan , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Hus...k-HT87247.aspx

Scott,

Etrailer has a video hope it shows in this link. They demo at 4 min mark in video. Some of the interference question might also need to know if you have 30 or 40 lb propane tanks.

Mine is 40 if you like I could look at mine tomorrow and look at clearance to tank cover.

FWIW my manual crank has never been used. Husky installed 2008?

I just checked your location. One of my slider buddies lives in Newnan.

Gary
Wondering what you mean by slider buddy.
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Always carry a 6-ton bottle jack and plenty of pieces of 2x4, 4x4, and 6x6 lumber. Just about any of those pieces, cut 12"-18", can be used in whatever combination you need to take the place of the electric jack. That way, if the electric jack fails in any way, you can still raise and lower, hitch and unhitch the trailer.

Depending on the tow vehicle involved, you might already have a decent jack that can be used with the trailer.

The main thing is to do it all safely.
Yes this. I have had to do it a time or two and they work like a charm.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:00 AM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Wondering what you mean by slider buddy.
We both own Slide Out Airstreams.