Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
jemison , Alabama
using 6 jack stands.

Ok. I have 6 3 ton jack stands that I will use so I can live in my airstream and not kill the axles. I am not sure exactly where to put the jacks but I can figure it out. What I need to know is how to go about getting all the jack stands under there. I was thinking of lowering the front end and putting 2 stands toward the back closer to the bumper, then lift the front end back up (which would put all the weight on the back stands), fit 2 more stands in the middle, lower it some more onto those, and then place 2 more near the front and lower it back down onto those. This soun ok or more like a disaster. I'm really not sure about having the two back stands and my hydraulic jack support all the weight for more than a minut. Will it be ok? Also, do I want the tires off the ground all together? If not, how much should I lift up to bring the right amount of weight off my axles for a long term living situation. Thanks for any help!
rama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I used to have a trailer without rear stabilizers, and went through the process you're describing for leveling using jack stands. I finally bought stands that had a screw jack adjustment - MUCH easier to use. I would recommend this approach.
As for how much pressure to take off for long term parking, I'll defer to someone else.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
When you say long term, how long are we talking? Your AS was designed for the weight to be on the axles and the tongue. The frame was designed to carry the weight from the top down. The outriggers are designed to carry the weight from the furthest point into the main frame. By pushing upwards on the frame members you may be doing more harm than good in the long run. Also, buy placing the whole weight of the trailer on the jacks on the back of the trailer I can promise you seperation for sure. If you are trying to put up your AS like a park model you need to remember one thing. An Airtream is designed for travel and not permanent instalation. Maybe someone else some actually done this before and can be helpful but my advise is your looking to do something your AS wasn't designed to do.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
If I'm not mistaken, Andy has recommended taking the weight off of the axles for long term storage due to "memory" in the rubber of the axle.(Not sure if that's the term he used)
I don't know what is considered long term.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
jemison , Alabama
So don't put the weight on the end for even a minute huh. I was worried about that. I know Andy reccomends using jack stands for long term setup. Though I'm still not sure how to set it up. Thanks for the help. I do have the stabilizers that are already installed by the way but have heard not to use them for actual leveling.
rama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I was reading a post from Andy the other day and he mentions jacking the unit off the ground by the axle plates only. I am no expert on these units, but perhaps if you picked the unit up slightly to take weight off the rubber utilizing jacks under the axle plates and then stabalized the unit at the corners and tongue so everything is level, my feeling is that you'll be OK.

Dave.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rama777
So don't put the weight on the end for even a minute huh. I was worried about that. I know Andy reccomends using jack stands for long term setup. Though I'm still not sure how to set it up. Thanks for the help. I do have the stabilizers that are already installed by the way but have heard not to use them for actual leveling.
Well, shoot Andy an email and I know he will get right back to you. He is real good about that. But then I would be careful, he might have you do it wrong so he can sell you a new axle !
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Red face I'm someone else. No real credentials though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
... I finally bought stands that had a screw jack adjustment - MUCH easier to use. I would recommend this approach.
As for how much pressure to take off for long term parking, I'll defer to someone else.
If your definition of "long term" is a year or more, you would do best to take the entire load off the axles i.e. jack the Airstream up by the axle plates until the tires just spin, and support that load with appropriately-rated jack stands situated at the axle plates. This will benefit both your axles and tires.

After that, take Dave's recommendation and adjust leveling, screw-type jacks in many places to take the 'springiness' out of your new home.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote