Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Ultra 5000 Power Twin Jacks will not extend

Hi all!

We have a 2001 Limited (Classic) 30'. I extended the stabilizing jacks down (electric motor) on 1 side but when I went to extend the other side (curb) the jacks would not extend. I used the triangle aluminum "stack" jacks on the side that would not extend. The next day I retracted the jacks. Once retracted, these will not extend. Now both sides are stuck in the retracted position. We've tried the manual crank (removing fuses first-fuses look good) and all jacks seem seized up and will not move at all.

Any suggestions? We have the original owners manual but this does not contain any trouble shooting advice. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We are full timers and are stationary until we leave on Friday AM. Thank you!!!! Angie
Pride&Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Do you get any sound at all when you try to extend them? If not, then there is no power.

Or do you get a clack-clack sound? When that happened to me, I was always able to use the crank to lower it just a little, and then the jack would extend fine.

The crank is a little stiff, but shouldn't be too hard to move.

There are grease fittings on front and rear, but they are pretty exposed to road hazard, particularly the rear.

My experience is from my '98 Limited.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, we do get a clack-clack sound. I will look into adding some grease into the grease fittings once we arrive to Montana where we will be stationary for 6 months. I'll work on the crank also! Thank you!!!
Old 04-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Use a little extra elbow grease on the crank. I found if you could just move it a little (clockwise is down, if I remember correctly) then the motor will catch just fine.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The grease fittings are into the motor gearbox. While you should probably grease them occasionally until you see grease coming out, that is probably not your problem. Once you get the jacks extended, spray the threaded rod with a white lithium grease spray, silicone lubricant or whatever you have or can find. The clack-clack sound is the clutch designed to protect the motor. I find I have to be VERY careful when raising the jacks to not bind them and get the clack-clack or at least my curbside rear will jam and I have to get out the crank. I stop raising them when the motor bogs down just a little and then check to make sure they are all the way up.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Thank you for the info! So I'm understanding, I should raise the jacks to the point where they are up but not to the point where I hear the clack-clack? Basically avoid the clack-clack sound.
Thanks again!