Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Tongue Jack - Which one?!?

Hi all -

Looking to add an electric Tongue Jack to SilverToy as the PO? removed the one that was there. SilverToy is a big girl - '92 34' Classic Limited.

So now the questions -
Who has which Brand / Model??
Why that one (Sale, recommended, came with it,etc...)?
Would you get it again if it blew tomorrow?
If so, why? If not, why not?
Any issues I need to especially consider ( wiring, ease of manual use, reliability, etc...)?

Fire away out there - looking forward to all the good info!

Thanks.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hi all -

Looking to add an electric Tongue Jack to SilverToy as the PO? removed the one that was there. SilverToy is a big girl - '92 34' Classic Limited.

Thanks.

Axel
A good question since I've owned 3 trailers in my life that had an electric jack. The only thing that was special about the jacks that were supplied on my two Airstreams has been a built in light that can illuminate the hitch area.

Quite honestly the thing I liked best about the jack on my SOB was that if it it failed, all I had to do was pop open a cap on top and insert a crank handle. On the Airstream you have to remove the jack head and crank from there. Then you must resynchronize the jack prior to replacing the head on the jack. If you fail to do this you end up screwing up the gears in the jack.

Personally if I had to replace my jack I would look for a model that had the proper weight rating, maybe having a light feature, and hopefully a model that wouldn't require removing the head, if you had to go to manual mode.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Our International CCD has a Barker jack. It has a bubble level built into a cap on top of the jack that you remove.

You insert the manual crank tool and crank from there.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Axel, the H&H Superjack from Barker mfg works well for us, and their parts and after-sales service has been excellent. This link gives a photo and details: http://www.rvstuffusa.com/hhsuperjackbybarker.html
Nick
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Our International CCD has a Barker jack. It has a bubble level built into a cap on top of the jack that you remove.

You insert the manual crank tool and crank from there.

Dennis
Mine had the same jack..The emergency jacking feature was convenient, but the bubble level was a total waste of time. Unless the site was perfectly level, there was enough flexibility in the jack shaft that the jack would flex ever so slightly, but enough that the level was useless.

I found that the heavy-duty jack from Camping World is plenty sufficient for any Airstream and the bolt patterns are pretty standard.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
CW Jack Question

Pahaska et al -

Thanks for the replies so far. Hoping for a bit broader spectrum, but who knows....?

Does the CW jack have a easy access for manual jacking? Not so worried about the lights and SilverToy has plenty of lighting near the jack area, level too.

Also, is the price of $199 reasonable or could I do better (with $1 shipping as an added bonus). All you internet shopping gurus out there?

Axel
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Dust Bin of Forums....

Hi all -

Is it because the temps are low - is that why the Toungue Jack question lingers in the dust bin of forum replies....?

Common folks - help me out with a Spring Project. Need input to decide on the 'right' unit to get....

Curious for input!!!

Axel