Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Tongue Jack Replacement Help

Hello!

I'm attempting to replace the electric tongue jack on my 1977 Argosy 24'. Seems straightforward enough but I'm stuck attempting to remove the old jack. There appears to be a collar that is either completely rusted onto the outter shaft of the jack itself, or it's permanently swaged on.

And therein lies my question: does anyone know if this collar is supposed to pop off, or is it permanent? If it isn't designed to come off I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to a welding shop and have them cut it off. I've been hitting it with WD40 for 2 days but I don't want to keep banging away if it's permanent. Searching though these forums just about every topic on this subject talks about how easy this process is and I don't see anyone struggling with removal of the old one.

To the best of my knowledge this is the factory installed jack that rolled off the assembly line.

I've got to say this place is great. First time I've ever actually had to post a question as everyone I've had in the past 12 months has already been answered by someone on this forum...

Under The Banyan Trees w/Steely Dan
http://www.banyantrees.net
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
StAlphonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
It might be rusty...I have never seen one swedged on, but I have seen couple that were tack welded. Try a bit of heat from a small torch on it...CAREFULLY then continue tapping with the hammer. Mine are held on with 3 bolts and that is it.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I'm a little confused as to what your talking about could you post a picture?
All that I have seen are mounted with 3 or 4 bolts and maybe a spot weld on the bottom. These jack were made to be removed for replacement or major service.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Janet's Husband: Here are some pics of the nasty old collar. Problem is it's too think to fit through the top and the mounting plate is welded to the jack itself so it can't go through the bottom...

http://www.banyantrees.net/temp/DS2.JPG
http://www.banyantrees.net/temp/DS3.JPG

Anyone got a torch?

StAl
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Looks like just a stabilizer sleeve...

That sleeve is welded to trailer frame, and thus can't be swedged onto jack shaft.. Looks like plan to hit with WD40 and other various solvents (sometimes a cocktail woorks better than one..) and "tap" from below with hammer whilst perhaps warming with a torch is best recipe to remove.

Assuming 3 bolts removed from above, and no tack welding done where jack flange rests on trailer frame, it should just "slide right out" as the old and famous saying goes... Jack stand does appear to have a little forward tilt, which might make removal more challenging however, and require services of the famous "Bigger Hammer"..

It might be possible to put wood block or other stand under jack and lower trailer (using hydraulic floor jack?) onto jack stand, to see if a few hundred pounds of tongue weight would gently loosen it. You'll need to be sure you can get it back up onto jack stands when done, though...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
WD-40 is a nice lubricant for sewing machines but I have never found it to work well on rust. I use Blaster available at most Wal Marts, etc. This is a real penetrating oil. Try that and the big hammer treatment.

Good Luck.

Joe
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Condoluminum: That collar is actually attached to the jack itself -- it isn't part of the frame even though it looks like it might be welded to the hitch itself. We had the whole jack loose and it was firmly attached to the jack shaft. Which is why using the your other option of applied leverage didn't work either -- we tried.

I've got a date with a torch tomorrow. Why do I always put these things off to the last minute before a trip..?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
The plate that your talking about is definately attached to the jack itself. lubricate, lubricate, lubricate then heat and tap, pry, curse, glare and beat. It will come off according to the laws of entropy. It's just a matter of time.

Joe
Old 08-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
are you sure the unit needs replacement --- i recently thought mine was bad - but after i opened it up i found that the unit was raised up beyound the upper limit and would not allow power to the motor. i re-adjusted the limit gear and it worked fine................
Old 08-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Just back from a 12 day trip up and down the west coast and I figured I'd post the outcome in case anyone stumbles across this thread at a later date.

So it turns out this is indeed a collar that was firmly attached to the JACK itself. Because time was running out I brought it to the guys at Carl North RV Repair in Seattle and they fixed me up. Defelice is correct -- lube, lube and more lube finally got that sucker to break free. In fact they had to reuse the collar as it acts like a bushing/shim.

2200 miles in 12 days on my 1977 Argosy and not a whimper out of her. These are great trailers. Was considering dropping dime on a new 25' International CCD but the payment is enough to scare me back to my senses. A little paint, some new carpet and she's good as new...
Old 08-23-2006, 04:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
StAlphonzo,

Glad it all worked out. I just knew that it was an attacked flange because I bought the Airstream service manual. It describes most parts with exploded pictures - I like pictures. Also, many verbal descriptions of procedures to repair and replace most parts.

I just look mine off. I lubed for three days and still thought I would greak the bolts off in the tongue. That would be a bad problem. I use CD Blaster. It is the best penetrating oil I can find outside the commercial world. It is available at Wal-Mart (where else) and is light years beyond WD-40. I like to rebuild old classic cars and swear by the stuff to remove bolts and screws that are completely rusted together.

Keep the old trailer and repair her. You'll sleep better knowing the money is in your bank account and not theirs.

Joe