Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Newnan , Georgia
Tongue jack repair

I have a '59 Caravanner that the tongue jack doesn't lift/lower when the handle is turned, I don't want to replace the jack as of yet, but was wondering if someone here has disaasembled their jack for repair. I figure it's just a sheared pin or similar item on the gear.

Any help other than replacement, after all it's vintage.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Found the same surprise on my 78 Ambassador. Have scanned the forums looking for help. Have seen a lot where people switch to power. I just want to try and fix this one. Lifted the top seal cap and found old dirty grease. Teeth/gears seem to be intact, but crank just turns.
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Newnan , Georgia
I haven't been able to work on mine yet but I'm thinking that there must be a sheared pin on the crank gear that I need to replace.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Mine is the "side" winder. Will take pics and post. Surely we are not the first or last with this "opportunity". There has to be a diagram somewhere. Guess I need to order service manual.
Glovers in Newnan are kin.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Those jacks are not terribly expensive, so you may find repair parts harder to come by than complete units. If you do replace, get yourself some new hardened steel bolts from the hardware store to go with it.

Oh, and vintage rigs. They're so lightweight that an electric may be overkill anyway.

Lynn
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Newnan , Georgia
Yes, I am aware of how cheap they are. But with a vintage trailer I don't want to replace the old with the new all the time, so I trudge along trying to fix these until I am finally beat down and just have to replace it after spending countless hours trying to "salvage the unsalvageable," half the fun it just tinkering with it.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Know you are wiser than I am. Tinkered with the jack to research the problem. Several techies asked what happens when the crank is turned. I told them it spins and spins and spins. Removed grease cover cap. When crank was turned, it did indeed turn, but the gear attached to it was turning also. If gear did not turn, then problem could have been a sheared pin. I removed old grease and found that one tooth on lower gear was sheared off smooth. Jack would engage until it hit that missing tooth, then spinning occurs. My jack is not the original because factory installed an electric jack. Did I mention the tongue dropped 2 inches due to my "tinkering"? Learned to secure tongue before any more jack inspections. Hope some of this gives you some assistance. Jack
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, I understand that! I've fixed things the same things repeatedly (though more on the MG than on the Airstream).

Our AS came with an electric. It worked fine when we picked up the rig in Colorado. It worked fine when we unloaded the rig. Months later it died when we were getting ready for its maiden vacation-trip. I rushed over to the local RV place with pieces and parts and asked for a rebuild kit. No dice; none such; but you can buy a new one for ~$700. Thus the advent of our manual crank for $35.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper50 View Post
Yes, I am aware of how cheap they are. But with a vintage trailer I don't want to replace the old with the new all the time, so I trudge along trying to fix these until I am finally beat down and just have to replace it after spending countless hours trying to "salvage the unsalvageable," half the fun it just tinkering with it.
A likely cause for that problem is the fixed treaded collar on the top of the lower tube. The main threaded rod runs through this and causes the tube to go up and down . If that collar has come loose it will just turn with the rod and the jack will do nothing. If the jack is removable , take it off and apart . The collar is usually crimped in place . If that is the problem it can be tack welded to repair. I'm of the old school fix it if you can club too.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Newnan , Georgia
scrap metal

I Drilled out the 4 rivets holding the jack to the frame, brought it home for repair. Diassembled the jack only to find the jackscrew bushing to be worn out (imagine that). I going to replace the whole shebang, but it was fun tearing it down.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper50 View Post
I Drilled out the 4 rivets holding the jack to the frame, brought it home for repair. Diassembled the jack only to find the jackscrew bushing to be worn out (imagine that). I going to replace the whole shebang, but it was fun tearing it down.
Now you know how they're made , you.ve gained some knowledge , good for you.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote