Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
Tongue jack maintenance

Seems like my electric jack works awful hard when lifting. It hasn't ever tripped the fuse but doesn't sound right to me.

Is there any maintenance I can do? I'm sure it should be lubed up. I see there is a plug on the tube where I could get to the screw. Should I pump grease in there?

I have a 2007 28'. Not sure of the make of the jack. It's original to the trailer.

Does a manual crank handle come with the trailer normally? I don't have one and that makes me nervous.

Thanks for any help.

printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have never seen one where the jack tube could be lubed in any way. The heads can but even there, be careful, as the grease can melt into runny liquid and get into the motor head very easily. The best jack I ever had was an old Reese, no longer made but quiet, powerful, fast and the motor was above the tube, not offset to the side with the shaft subject to water from above. I still have one on my '74 Argosy, working after 40 years.

I am afraid to say that I think you just use them until the fail, then replace. You probably should have a manual crank, although if the main tube is the problem, the crank may not work better than the motor does.

Gears can be replaced from the motor to the tube drive in most jacks, along with switches, but not much else that I know of. (depends on the specific jack of course).

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
2008 27' International FB
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Misplaced my crank but a 7/16 socket on an 6 inch extension using a inch socket arm works great. Just don't do it when the switch is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ewbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The only maintence that I do is with the jack fully extended spray the extended tube with WD 40 and then wipe off. There is dirt in the air and my attempted is to remove as much as accumulates over time.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Technically, according to my manual, the jack should get annual maintenance. Since I store inside I've never performed any. I also remember back on my new 2001 Safari I had a jack failure due to it randomly blowing fuses. I opened it up only to fail to properly synchronize the head when I put it back together. Bottom line I screwed up the jack. Thankfully my dealer went ahead and exchanged the jack at no charge because the blown fuse problems even though I had caused additional damage to the gears. He found a shorted wire inside the jack but allowed me to keep the replacement.

So if you pull it apart for any kind of maintenance be sure you carefully check if the jack requires a resync procedure before putting the head back on.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
If it a Baker Jack they recommend lubing the gears in the head check their website for info

woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote