Old 07-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
The level you need is to a metal plate in the freezer.
This sounds like a nice way to do it, except that our freezer is usually so packed when we go out that it wouldn't be practical to remove enough frozen food to get to the bottom to place the plate.

We use a 10" level side to side and fore 'n aft at the doorway. This seems to correlate well for our unit.

I have noticed on some previous trips, that the fridge didn't cool as well as other times. After reading this thread I wonder if it was because we weren't level enough.

On the other hand, when at a campground we always power the fridge with electric, so does being level count as much when you're on AC vs propane?

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Another note on leveling: I try hard to be within half a bubble on my level fore 'n aft because I don't want the slide to be skewed when going out.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
I bought 4 stick on Hopkins graduated levels for 15 bucks and stuck them fore and aft on the curb side, curb side on the front and center just below the license plate on the rear. Now I park, check side level, pull onto appropriate number of blocks and then set front/back with the jack and put down stabilizers before I even open the door.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Here's a link to a review with pictures.
http://www.armadillotimes.com/page/4/
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We level using the stick on indicators from WM. It's simple and part of our set up routine. One division = 1". Takes a minute or two.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I pack my builders level and tri pod, this takes a little longer and requires two people. ( one to look through the level and one to hold the measurement stick.). But when I'm done I'm within a 1/32 of being totally level

My trailer came with a small level on the front ( screwed to the skin ) for side to side. And I use a small 12 level on the floor inside the door to get the front to back level. As long as its within the lines I'm good to go.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I pack my builders level and tri pod, this takes a little longer and requires two people. ( one to look through the level and one to hold the measurement stick.). But when I'm done I'm within a 1/32 of being totally level
Jeez, someone even more anal than me! My two foot mason's level works just fine ( though I have to admit I'd thought of bringing my builder's level along, but we just don't have the room.)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
This sounds like a nice way to do it, except that our freezer is usually so packed when we go out that it wouldn't be practical to remove enough frozen food to get to the bottom to place the plate.

We use a 10" level side to side and fore 'n aft at the doorway. This seems to correlate well for our unit.
I have noticed on some previous trips, that the fridge didn't cool as well as other times. After reading this thread I wonder if it was because we weren't level enough.
On the other hand, when at a campground we always power the fridge with electric, so does being level count as much when you're on AC vs propane?
Sometime when the freezer isn't full, find the plate and reference it to some other surface nearby, like a counter top. There's threads on these forums describing how that plate is the manufacturer's reference to the level needed for optimum operation of their appliance. Others say hooey. It's your food temperature. Put a temperature probe in there and record your own data.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
We have two levels permanently installed on the tongue, one a large side-to-side level visible from the driver's seat of the tow vehicle, the other a bullseye level next to the jack. The side-to-side level has markings that more or less indicate how many lynx leveling blocks we need under the tires to even things out.

We find that the trailer is uncomfortable if it is much more than 1" out of level side to side, or the equivalent amount angle wise front to back.

Front to back level is ordinarily easier to achieve than side to side, since we can just adjust the tongue jack and (if we stay hitched) WD bars, unless the site is really bad.

The trailer has a newer fridge and we've never noticed a problem with it failing to cool because of slope.

The Cayo has a 1971 fridge and we do find that it is extremely sensitive to slope and won't cool properly if we're off by 1". Since it is a truck camper we have placed some bubble levels in the cab of the truck to help choose ideal placement on crooked sites.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I know we hit a campsite at Peaks of Otter that I could not get the trailer level enough for the fridge to work on gas. I think we were still 6-9 inches off with the jack all the way down. I turned the fridge off and we used a cooler for 3 days. Took a while traveling to thet the fridge to work again. A friend told me that the fridge is more sensitive to fore and aft leveling than side to side.