Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Always dreaming
1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
Suggestions for jacks, please?

Hi! Im a newbie- just took my beautiful '63 Overlander for our first voyage together and had just a few --small-- issues. Gonna deal with them one by one, starting with the leveling jacks. Both on the left side are apparently inoperable. My boyfriend took them off and said he thinks he can remake them if necessary, but recommended replacement instead. He found the parts needed on (Part #: 12951). The other two are working just fine, so here's where I need a little advice. Are leveling jacks a part that would be available used (less$$$$) and worth the time searching for (I couldn't find them on this forum). Or would I do better buying a set of four and classified listing the other two? Just keeping the extra two "in case"? Remaking the faulty jacks? Or just replacing all four since we are messing around underneath anyway? Upgrading the jacks to a different style? ANY help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
These are not Leveling Jacks, but are really Stabilizing jacks. The difference would be that leveling jacks would raise one side or the other, and front and back, to actually level the trailer. These jacks are not supposed to do that, but are just to be used to stabilize the trailer once you've got it adequately leveled by driving the low side up on an appropriate number of leveling blocks. Both Stabilizing jacks and Leveling blocks can be found at many RV websites as well as Amazon. If you tried to use stabilizing jacks to level the AS, you may have stripped the threads on the screw part, in which case they would need to be replaced. Also, if you attempted to level the AS using the stabilizing jacks, make sure you didn't deform the frame where they are attached.

Pictures always help.

DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #3

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Their only original once.....I would rebuild...but I'm funny that way.

Our 63 Safari used the free standing type, 18 seasons, never a failure....KISS principle.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Always dreaming
1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
It seems I have quite a way to go on my learning curve! Thanks for the info- I am hoping we didn't damage the frame... I will make a trip to Camping World and see what they've got as well as Amazon. THANK YOU for the help here!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We have a 63 Overlander. They originally did not come with stabilizers. They had two free standing jack stands that you placed under the rear bumper and then you would crank up your tongue jack, to put a little stress on them. We still use them that way. Four newer style stabilizers would make it a bit less tippy.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #6

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Be observant when buying BAL stabilizers from places that don't specialize in Airstream stuff. There is the Airstream model with a long shaft and non-airstream models with a shorter one, because the stabilizers have to be installed way inboard on an Airstream because of the way it's built, and you need that long shaft to be able to operate the stabilizer without crawling underneath.

Out Of Doors Mart carries the right one, and I'm sure the ones from InlandRV will be the Airstream part number as well.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
We have 4 automotive scissor jacks in the Trillium trailer. They can be purchased from an RV supplier but any auto wreckers will have lots of them and normally don't charge very much. Ours our operated with a 3/4' socket so you can use a wrench, ratchet, speeder, impact gun, nut driver etc. to operate them and you have the added bonus of carrying 4 jacks incase of an emergency (flat tire, stuck in the mud...)

Just make sure you know where to place them - they have to be under the frame which you can't see because of the belly pan.

As said before, level the trailer with blocks under the wheels and the tongue jack, then just snug up the stabilizers to prevent rocking.
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Always dreaming
1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
This is all great advice and information. Exactly what I was looking for when I reached out for help. Airstreamers are the best! Thanks!