Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #1

1985 27' Sovereign
Redding , California
Stabilizing Jacks

My front stabilizing jacks have somewhat collapsed - they will crank up out of the way, but they are bent and won't crank down all the way. I am currently using 2x6 blocks to make up the height difference.
My main question - can I put off replacing these or is this a MUST DO now to avoid further damage?
I have found replacements on odmrv.com for $60 ea (plus new feet, if needed). Sounds reasonable, but I have a lot of renovating left to do and would like to put replacement off if I can. Advise please?
VintageGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Your stabilizers are a "nice to have" rather than a necessity, so you can put them off as long as you can stand fiddling with the ones you have or dealing with the trailer being a little more "wiggly".

The only time stabilizers are a critical problem is if they won't retract far enough to tow safely, which doesn't sound like the problem you're having.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a similar problem with one of Lucy's stabilizers. When it doesn't have enough reach to make it to the ground, we use one or more Legos (Lynx Levelers) under the stabilizer foot. This has worked well for about five years now. We started using wood under it, but the Legos work better and they are quite a bit lighter and easier to use than hunks of treated lumber.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Stabilizer Jacks

My stabilizer Jacks have partially collapsed. They will retract out of the way to tow, but they really won't extend far enough to the ground without needing double sets of 2x6s to add height.

I have found replacement parts, but would prefer to put this off for a while.

Question: Can I live with them as is for a while, or do I need to replace ASAP to avoid further damage?

Thanks, this is my first thread, as I am just now getting into full renovation mode on my 85 27' Sovereign. I truly appreciate all advice that you would care to share.

You can easily live a long time without them…..they are just stabilizers. Just make sure that they are up high enough so as not to snag an obstacle.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I should have noticed before responding that the thread to which I responded was in the wrong forum, and there were duplicate threads on the same topic.

Since there was already a response after mine, I merged the threads rather than deleting the one that was in "Forum How-Tos and Support" which is a forum for questions/problems with the website itself, not with our trailers.

My apologies if there's any confusion over this, I had a chance to clean it up before others responded and I missed it!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGypsy View Post
Thanks, this is my first thread, as I am just now getting into full renovation mode on my 85 27' Sovereign. I truly appreciate all advice that you would care to share.
Welcome to the AirForums! Glad to have you with us.

A word of advice about the Forums, if I may…
There's no need to ask the same question twice in two threads, Stabilizing Jacks and Stabilizing Jacks Collapsed. Asking the question once is enough.

(on edit— moderator DKB_SATX already took care of it by merging the threads while I was responding, but the advice remains valid.)

As others have said, stabilizer jacks are not essential, if you don't mind the feel of the trailer moving under your feet as you walk around. However, it might be a wise idea to find out why they partially collapsed, to see if there's a larger problem that might need to be addressed. My guess would be user error on the part of the previous owner.

Really, they ought to be called just "stabilizers" rather than "stabilizer jacks." You level the trailer with the tires (by placing leveler blocks under the appropriate tires) and the tongue jack, not with the stabilizers. Do not use the stabilizers as jacks to lift the trailer, only to hold it level once you've got it level.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

1985 27' Sovereign
Redding , California
Thank you all for your advice - It's as I suspected, just wanted to be sure ignoring it wouldn't cause greater problems down the road literally).
VintageGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote