Old 02-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Question Stabilizer upgrade?

It's starting to remind me of my sailing days! When someone walks around in my trailer it feels like my old boat at anchor.
The stabilizers on my Safari are the lightweight variety and have some slop in them when you grab the support and wiggle it from side to side.
I saw a newer model Safari when camping in Fla. last week. It had stablizers with some additional bracing. Am wondering if this would be a worthwhile upgrade and would it be a reasonable project?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
WBCCI #2526
wyhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have the electric stabalizers that came with the unit and I love them. I had a jamming problems with the unit and called the manufacture and he told me how to correct the problem and I have had none since then. www.ultra-fab.com looks like the product and the name Ultra Power Twin is the right name.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyhjr
\The stabilizers on my Safari are the lightweight variety and have some slop in them when you grab the support and wiggle it from side to side.
I saw a newer model Safari when camping in Fla. last week. It had stablizers with some additional bracing. Am wondering if this would be a worthwhile upgrade and would it be a reasonable project?
Bill, Airstream started using the heavier stabilizers for the Safari's beginning the 2002 model year. I had those light weight ones on my 2001. I had them upgraded up at Jackson center while visiting in the summer of 2001. It does make a big difference in the stability of your trailer. Apparently the mounting plates will cover the holes left by the old stabilizer units.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Would a 2001 30' Classic w S/O have the light duty stabilizers or the "good ones"?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster
Would a 2001 30' Classic w S/O have the light duty stabilizers or the "good ones"?
Chipster,

Only the Safari line had the light duty stabilizers prior to 2002. As a matter of fact the 1999 Safari line only had two rear stabilizers. None in the front. I ran into one of our forum members up at Jackson Center in 2001 who has having his two replaced with four of the good ones on this '99 27' Safari. He was the one who tipped me off about the upgrade and I subsequently had mine replaced while there.

You would know the difference since the light duty stabilizers didn't even have a built in pad on the leg. They were pretty much the equivalent of what I had on my Coleman pop up camper.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Question

Thanks for the info, Jack. do you know if the job required removal of any belly panels? ( to gain access to the frame?)
Thanks
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
WBCCI #2526
wyhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyhjr
Thanks for the info, Jack. do you know if the job required removal of any belly panels? ( to gain access to the frame?)
Thanks
Nope. They guys up at Jackson Center just removed the old stabilizers and drilled new holes. As noted earlier the mounting plate for the new jacks covered the holes from the old one. I think since the old ones were mounted to the frame outside the belly pan, it was a no brainer in mounting the new ones.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
I have the electric stabalizers that came with the unit and I love them. I had a jamming problems with the unit and called the manufacture and he told me how to correct the problem and I have had none since then. www.ultra-fab.com looks like the product and the name Ultra Power Twin is the right name.
Rick -

I really like my electric stabilizes also, but have had jamming problems also when I retract them too far and the stabilizer pad wedges up into the upper plate that attaches to the trailer. Was that you problem as well, or something different? I'm interested in how your problem was fixed.

Incidentally, the ultra fabs are built for leveling your trailer (to some degree) as well as stabilizing, and they do work well as you've pointed out.

John
Old 02-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Rick -

I really like my electric stabilizes also, but have had jamming problems also when I retract them too far and the stabilizer pad wedges up into the upper plate that attaches to the trailer. Was that you problem as well, or something different? I'm interested in how your problem was fixed.

Incidentally, the ultra fabs are built for leveling your trailer (to some degree) as well as stabilizing, and they do work well as you've pointed out.

John
I haven't had the jamming problem on my stabilizers to this point.

Interesting on the Ultra Fabs, but I wouldn't put much stock in leveling function since I would assume this means that your frame can allow that kind of pressure on it. I've always assumed that with A/S you don't level with the stabilizer due to the stress put on the frame rather than an issue of the stabilizer itself.

Jack

AIR #56