Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Stabilizer Jacks

My 2008 22' Sport has stab jacks which do NOT have a hex-head screw-jack...but instead has one which incorporates a "split" socket on the crank.
I ordered a socket and crank from those clowns in Salt Lake and they didn't ask me (and I was too much a noobie to know any better) which jacks were installed, so six weeks later, they shipped me the hex-head crank and socket which is common on many other AS's.
It costs as much to ship them back as they cost so I'm considering welding a long hex bolt onto the ends of the jack-screws.

Anyone else run into this or have advice?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Well...with no replies, I've made a modification to make the stab jacks easier to use.
With some six-inch long half-inch bolts (having 3/4" heads to fit the 3/4" crank and socket drill-adapters shipped to me incorrectly by those goofy guys in SLC.... next time I'll do business directly with ANDY!)

I welded the bolts onto the ends of the screw-jacks which accomplished a couple of things...
ONE...it allows me to use the 3/4" crank and drill adapter with the stab jacks....
and TWO...it extended the ends of the screw Jacks out to the edge of the AS so I don't have to get down on my knees to find the stab jack!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I just read both posts. Perhaps the Stab Jacks were "replaced"???

Do you have pics?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Olympia , Washington
I'm new here and have a 2013 Bambi. My stabilizer jacks do not have the hex head bolts either. This solution could help me to solve the additional problem of having to fight with my step when I raise and lower that jack. Thanks for your input.

Turbobill
Turbobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I just read both posts. Perhaps the Stab Jacks were "replaced"???

Do you have pics?
They were NOT replacements...they were/are original equipment. I've discovered both types are commonly used on Airstreams.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
So the original sockets looked like these?
I guess welding the bolts on would be preferable to replacing all the jacks. I might have opted to send them back for the right ones but you've killed 2 birds with one stone. I think you did it right and now you've helped someone else.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote