Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Stabilizer attachment points

I finally broke down and purchased 4 scissor type RV stabelizers and am looking for the correct spots to attach them. I have been reading all of the threads I could find on the subject and know not to use the scissor stabelizers to lift any weight but to level the AS by "ramping" up the low side tires with wooden blocks and using the tongue jack to level front to back. I have been using the little aluminum pyramidal screw type stabelizers and find them to be a nusance to install every time and then have them loosen up every day or so. I know that many AS have the "jack points" marked for stabelizer attachment but I can't find them on mine. "They" say to attach them stabelizers to the frame with lag bolts to allow them to tear away in case they hang up on something. Locating the frame? Must be where the axle mounting plates are. Is that on the outside of the frame? How wide is the frame "beam" on each side on a '69 Sovereign. How far in front and back of the axle would the best spot be to locate the stabelizers?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

I do not know the answer to your question.... but have you checked Vintage Airstream pages for schematics of your frame? I am not sure they are there, but maybe??? VintageAirstream - Restoration Resources

Do you have an owners manual for your year? If all else fails you will need to be double sure you are finding your frame... might have to peek under the belly pan to find the right spots!

I did a search and found these items:

From the Airstream Store ~ repros of owners manuals:
Airstream :: Store

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.

Hopefully someone will chirp in with the exact answer! You might do a search on a frame off restoration of your model to see if anyone has photos of the frame.... Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05
...How far in front and back of the axle would the best spot be to locate the stabelizers?
Try sending a PM to "till", I know he has these on his '67.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Bill check out my thread on Scissors vs. stabalizers. The frame is not difficult to locate. You must attach the scissors to the frame. For the rear scissors you should take a piece of string and run it on a diagonal from just behind the tire at the ground to the bottom of the rear bumper. Try to hang the jacks above the string, otherwise if you ever bottom out on the bumper you will rip the jacks off.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote