Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Side to Side Leveling

After using our 16 foot for Bambi for a year we needed to level her side to side last week. We've a "roller" leveler that increases the height of the trailer as you drive further forward or backward on it.

However after achieving our desired height and blocking the trailer, when we disconnected the trailer the trailer moved downed the slope of the leveler, to the side many inches and once off of the leveler. This was very disconcerting.

What are we doing wrong? Should we disconnect the weight distribution bars before we roll onto the leveler? Is this type of leveler wrong for the Bambi?

Thank you, Willy
gorrissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We use this single axel tire leveler to level our trailer side to side. It works very well, and also acts as a wheel chock.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

I'm not familiar with the kind of leveler you describe.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
We use this single axel tire leveler to level our trailer side to side. It works very well, and also acts as a wheel chock.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

I'm not familiar with the kind of leveler you describe.
Back in our "P-UP" days we used one of these BAL levelers...they are great. I wish it would fit our Excella.
Highly recommended for a single axle unit.

Bill
Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great suggestion, Stephanie. Anyone know the weight capacity for the BAL leveler? I searched the BAL site, and even read some reviews of the leveler, but couldn't find the weight info.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We use these, available at Camping World. Each block raises the tire 1 inch.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OWNER%7E1.HAL/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Great suggestion, Stephanie. Anyone know the weight capacity for the BAL leveler? I searched the BAL site, and even read some reviews of the leveler, but couldn't find the weight info.
After we sold the p-up, we had a 21' SOB ultra light for a while. I deveolped a method to use the Bal leveler and a board to use with that, it weighed about 4000# and worked fine. I never even tried with our Excella-too big/heavy!
I am sure you would be OK with a 16' Bambi.

Go for it-this is a great tool! Beat the heck out of carrying around 2 x 10's...

Bill
Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Got the Lynx Levelers about two years ago and they work fantastic. See: Lynx Levelers - Home Page They work so well, we got a set for my brother-in-law!

They're often available on Ebay.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks, Bill. I may give it a shot. Some of the places I go, and have been, require quite a few boards. My wife will probably buy it for me if it will get her out of guiding me up on the boards.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Willy,

I won't add to the good advice about leveling - but keep in mind that the most important thing about hitching/unhitching is to be sure that the trailer cannot move once you disconnect. Positive chocks are always required, even on ground that appears level (because sometimes it isn't). You can't have your treasure wandering off on its own.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
The BAL Leveller says 'for light weight single axel trailers', but don't define 'light weight'.

Our 19ft Bambi isn't exactly light weight compared to a pop-up.

Is our Bambi to heavy for it??

Sadly this level which runs in the $69 US range is a whooping $150 Cdn around here!!!
Like most RV stuff, we get taken to the cleaners here in Canada.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Got the Lynx Levelers about two years ago and they work fantastic. See: Lynx Levelers - Home Page They work so well, we got a set for my brother-in-law!

They're often available on Ebay.
They are also available at Wal*Mart. The Camping World version shown in post 5 above, have some bad reviews concerning breaking on uneven terrain.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
BAL leveler

We just tried the BAL leveler in Joshua Tree NP. I have two complaints: ratcheting the tire to the proper height can be strenuous and tedious, if you need to raise the wheel more than 2". Also, as the leveler rises, its rising "wheel cradle" becomes angled away from the tire tread, concentrating pressure on a small area on the outermost tread surface. I think I'll go back to leveling blocks!

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Thanks, Bill. I may give it a shot. Some of the places I go, and have been, require quite a few boards. My wife will probably buy it for me if it will get her out of guiding me up on the boards.
I can remember one trip, due to a very difficult site, we were up about 4" on one side...no problem with the Bal leveler. That was with the ~ 4000# SOB! I don't know about going much heavier than that. Their website does post a weight limit, if I remember it was maybe 3500# (about the upper end up p-up weights).
I did use a small square of plywood under it in case the ground was soft.
As noted above, chock both wheels, front/back always!
Chock one with the Bal, and one with? (rocks, or carry a couple of small blocks).
As I said, the Bal worked great with the p-up, and the lite SOB. I wish I could use it with the Excella. The small plastics lego type blocks crack and quickly turn into an expensive habit if you keep replacing them.

Here ya go, $55-ships to Canada also; PUX Trading Post

I just developed a new leveling system based on the LEVL'R (NOT BAL leveler-wish I could find a set of these, they are so cool, anyone got a set for sale?) they are one of the ultimate AS accesories in my book! Hard to find...

I'll try out my new system in a week or two.

Bill
Old 04-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Level-Air

Any idea why these guys quit making their Level-Air system?

http://levelair.com/home.html

Looks like a novel way to level your rig.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For people who haven't tried it, the little walki-talkie's you see in Wal-Mart, etc. are great for communicating when backing or guiding the trailer into a parking place. I don't know how we ever got by without them. They're great too for finding the wife in a big flea market!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I looked at my BAL leveller and it doesn't say on it how much the weight rating is.

I agree, on soft dirt it's best to have a piece of wood to park on to make it easier to slide the leveller under it. We take turns cranking if it has to lift a long ways, and I don't think the leveller holding the tire at an angle is a big issue, as long as everything is chocked so it won't slip. We've been pretty happy with it and this is our fifth year using it. Id say if you can find out the weight rating and it's appropriate, get it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Chico , California
We have a 2005 19' Bambi with a GVW of 4500+ pounds, which works out to just a little over 1 ton per wheel when you subtract the 500 pound tongue weight. The BAL wheel leveler looks like a good bet, but I am concerned about the support plate angling away from the main tread the higher you go. An RV supply guy also said that the materials strength on the BAL units isn't what it used to be. What is the GVW/wheel weight on your 17 footer?
richcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You didn't have a tongue jack wheel on did you? I found out the hard way that a trailer can develop a mind of it's own when you unhitch with a tongue jack wheel without blocking the wheels.

I'm surprised you only had to do a side to side leveling once in a year. After all idaho is not all that flat. My experience is more like half of the sites need some kind of leveling. My main concern with leveling is operation and possible damage to the fridge. This is more of a cocern with older units though.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
you might like to check out the RV Pillo...kind of pricy, but they work great...we have the tandem model - it's well put together with multi-ply heavy material...I like it because I can back onto it and just add air till the level evens out...with the tandem model, if you use the 'wedge block' they sell, it becomes an effective parking brake as the 'pillo' is inflated...

RVPillo.com - Maker of inflatable RV levelers and chocks for your RV
Old 12-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other thing to remember is that if you roll the tires over any type of block, be sure that the entire foot print of the tire is supported by the block. Tires can be damaged when the tread is partially hanging off the block. This causes more weight to be supported over a smaller area of the tread.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote