Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
1975 27' Overlander
La Honda , California
Scarey Jack

I just got my 18' 1960 AS and it came with this jack stored in the rear compartment. Anybody ever seen and/or used one of these? It has wear, so one of the former owners must have used it, but it would make me a bit nervous.

Of course, my spare tire is also narrower and taller than the two regular tires. Maybe one of the former owners just liked an unbalanced life. Well, I need new tires before I take it on the road anyway.

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	83804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	83805  

Woodywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this looks like a clever idea, but one slight push or pull while removing or reinstalling the wheel could very easily make your trailer slip off of this jack and someone getting hurt.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
GEE.....I wonder why that idea never caught on?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodywhite View Post
I just got my 18' 1960 AS and it came with this jack stored in the rear compartment. Anybody ever seen and/or used one of these? It has wear, so one of the former owners must have used it, but it would make me a bit nervous.

Of course, my spare tire is also narrower and taller than the two regular tires. Maybe one of the former owners just liked an unbalanced life. Well, I need new tires before I take it on the road anyway.

Thanks,
Bob

The axle alignment could be damaged if you used that jack.

You could use it on a "solid axle" but never on any torsion or hollow tube type axle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
The jacks are still available especially at marine dealers and supplys. A lot of boaters use them on smaller solid axle trailers. I would never use it on my Airstream.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
if it' aluminum it probably has some value as scrap.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think that's a clever idea, especially for suicidal masochists and people with lots of health insurance. I'll stick with a couple of 2 x 10's and pull one wheel up on them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
These are "Old School" and have been around for years. They are very good for lightweight trailers, but I would never use one on a TT.

Throw it in the toolbox and put it to use some day.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
1975 27' Overlander
La Honda , California
So it sounds like none of you is ready to make a bid for this incredibly valuable part of Airstream history (OK, so it's a Sears jack). In any event I think I'll stay with my hydraulic jacks and take Kevin's idea and put it back in the rear storage compartment in case of a real emergency. Might be good in a gang fight.

Andy, you raised the matter of "solid" vs. hollow or torsion tube axles. My AS is a 1960, 18 footer. Here's a picture of my axle. Which one is this?

By the way, I've gotta say that this site has really been a gold mine for me. This AS is my first experience with a trailer that will actually be used on the road and I keep finding info that will hopefully get me on the road and keep me out of trouble.

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	83883  
Old 07-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Bob,

Your AS does not have the torsion tube axle. Yours is a conventional leaf spring setup that predates the rubber torsion axles that have been in use for many years. My suspicion is that the scarey jack (lifting device) would work on your AS as long as the trailer does not exceed the stated load capacity for the jack. As Andy stated, you never want to raise an AS using the torsion alxe as your jacking point. Also, axles can be bent when used as jacking points, so I would limit the use of this device to "For Emergency Use Only" status.

I prefer a frame placed jacking point as opposed to an axle, whenever possible, but the lifting device would certainly come in handy in the event of an emergency where conventional jacking would not work.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Old Fulica

1994 25' Excella
Abbotsford , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The axle alignment could be damaged if you used that jack.

You could use it on a "solid axle" but never on any torsion or hollow tube type axle.

Andy
I just posted an inquiry in this forum yesterday about a squeaky wheel and perhaps this may be my problem. A few weeks ago I had a flat changed at a tire repair facility. I asked the shop if they wanted to use my wooden ramp to repair the tire and they said no. I am almost certain they raised the trailer on the axle. Would this be contributing to my squeak which is coming from the same wheel?? (1994 Excella)
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
I just posted an inquiry in this forum yesterday about a squeaky wheel and perhaps this may be my problem. A few weeks ago I had a flat changed at a tire repair facility. I asked the shop if they wanted to use my wooden ramp to repair the tire and they said no. I am almost certain they raised the trailer on the axle. Would this be contributing to my squeak which is coming from the same wheel?? (1994 Excella)
Raising the trailer off the ground using the axle, can alter the axle alignment.

It cannot cause a squeaky wheel.

The wheel noise normally, can be caused by a broken adjuster spring, worn out shoes, or a worn out magnet. You can also have a set of glazed brake shoes.

Other things can happen as well, but the above is the most common.

Andy
Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodywhite View Post
So it sounds like none of you is ready to make a bid for this incredibly valuable part of Airstream history (OK, so it's a Sears jack). In any event I think I'll stay with my hydraulic jacks and take Kevin's idea and put it back in the rear storage compartment in case of a real emergency. Might be good in a gang fight.

Andy, you raised the matter of "solid" vs. hollow or torsion tube axles. My AS is a 1960, 18 footer. Here's a picture of my axle. Which one is this?

By the way, I've gotta say that this site has really been a gold mine for me. This AS is my first experience with a trailer that will actually be used on the road and I keep finding info that will hopefully get me on the road and keep me out of trouble.

Thanks,
Bob
Airstream did not start using torsion axles until the 1961 model year.

All torsion axles have a hollow tube.

Torsion axles eliminate the need for leaf springs as your photo shows.

Leaf springs mean a solid steel axle.

Andy
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
1975 27' Overlander
La Honda , California
Thumbs up

Andy and Kevin,

Thanks for the input. I will carry the jack along. I've had hydraulic jacks fail in the past, so sometimes low tech is a good thing. Since I do have a solid axle, if needed, I would presume that the jack should be as close to the outside as possible to keep from torquing the axle. I have pulled off the middle third of my belly pan for replacement, so it's also a convenient time to mark the belly pan for the frame location if I do need to jack it up.

Thanks again for your help,

Bob