Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,511
Rotating the jack 90 degrees. (Math test)

Okay, help me think out loud.

The current coupler has holes for the jack drilled and tapped at 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees (with zero facing forward.)
So if I drill new holes in the jack flange, but want the jack facing the driver's side and parallel to the propane tanks, I'd add holes at 30 degrees, 150 degrees, and 270 degrees on the jack post flange.
Basically, adding 30 degrees past the existing holes.
So when I turn the jack 90 degrees, my zero hole will be at 90 and I want a new hole at 120 or another 30 degrees.

Agree?
I confess I took two pieces of paper, one was the coupler holes and the other the jack flange and turned it.
__________________

__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,166
Your math sounds correct, but I would mark the holes, and test fit before you drill.

I must admit that I would have just made a stiff cardboard pattern from the existing holes, slit it with a center hole for the jack post clearance, twisted it into the 'right' position, and marked the new holes off on the flange. With my mild dyslexia, I would probably have ended up with a few extra new holes... Especially if I worked from the bottom of the jack flange (sigh).

Then I would have drilled them a bit bigger than needed, and filed/bashed to fit as needed. Bunch of appropriate star-type lock and flat washers, all in stainless, plus stainless bolts and nuts.

Fortunately, with my much longer ProPride hitch setup, the jack motor is well clear of the tailgate, so I haven't had to do this yet...if I get wild and get a flagpole holder, I'll have to do this...
__________________

__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,276
I think you are right, but I'm having a terminology problem. Degrees are typically specified as clockwise from 0. If 0 is straight ahead referenced to the trailer and you turn the jack 90 degrees ccw to face the road side it will put that hole at 270. The closest hole in the frame is at 240 degrees. So you need new holes at 30 degrees ccw from the existing holes.

Al
__________________

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I think you are right, but I'm having a terminology problem. Degrees are typically specified as clockwise from 0. If 0 is straight ahead referenced to the trailer and you turn the jack 90 degrees ccw to face the road side it will put that hole at 270. The closest hole in the frame is at 240 degrees. So you need new holes at 30 degrees ccw from the existing holes.

Al
Yes. I went CCW because I wanted the jack turned 90 degrees and ending up facing the driver's side and saying "turn it 270" seemed counterintuitive. (but correct)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I must admit that I would have just made a stiff cardboard pattern from the existing holes, slit it with a center hole for the jack post clearance, twisted it into the 'right' position, and marked the new holes off on the flange.
I will, but the trailer is not at the house, so I wanted to think it through before loading up the tools.
__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 107
You might try using transfer screws (self aligning center punches for threaded holes). Just mark the circumference of the jack as it is, then remove the jack, install the transfer screws, position the jack in your desired location/position and tap the flange above each of the transfer screws with a hammer. Now all your holes are marked on the underside of the flange. Just drill your new holes at the punch marks and you are guaranteed a perfect fit. You can find the transfer screws at McMaster Carr or any number of other industrial supply sources. They are pretty inexpensive and make this type of job much easier.

Bob
__________________
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
GMFL's Avatar
 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Stooooooooppppppppp!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Okay, help me think out loud.

The current coupler has holes for the jack drilled and tapped at 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees (with zero facing forward.)
So if I drill new holes in the jack flange, but want the jack facing the driver's side and parallel to the propane tanks, I'd add holes at 30 degrees, 150 degrees, and 270 degrees on the jack post flange.
Basically, adding 30 degrees past the existing holes.
So when I turn the jack 90 degrees, my zero hole will be at 90 and I want a new hole at 120 or another 30 degrees.

Agree?
I confess I took two pieces of paper, one was the coupler holes and the other the jack flange and turned it.

DO NOT DRILL HOLES. TO TURN THE HEAD OF THE JACK ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOSEN THE ALLEN SET SCREWS AND ROTATE THE JACK HEAD. NOT THE WHOLE JACK!!!!!
Very easy to do. It will take less than 1 min to complete the job.
__________________
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
GMFL's Avatar
 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Head rotates and is locked in place with 3 Allen set screws
__________________
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 543
As just mentioned before this post...why do geometry and then drill holes? Your jack should have 3 allen screws near the top under the main gear assembly. Removed your propane tank cover, loosen those, then rotate the jack. Tighten screws. Done.
__________________
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
DO NOT DRILL HOLES. TO TURN THE HEAD OF THE JACK ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOSEN THE ALLEN SET SCREWS AND ROTATE THE JACK HEAD. NOT THE WHOLE JACK!!!!!
Very easy to do. It will take less than 1 min to complete the job.
You know we're talking about the Husky Super Brute 4000/5000, yes?
Where are these three set screws you speak of?
__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Fuil-Timers
 
DreamStreamr's Avatar

 
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 621
Images: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I thought GMFL and PCSKIER had it solved til you complicated it with changing the jack brand from what we were apparently thinking. I have the almost original Barker on mine (first one failed a few months in) and spinning the head 90 deg was simple.

And I wish I'd thought of rotating it to driver's side instead of curb side. All these years I've been reaching over the top and operating the up/dn switch from wrong side. Too funny, and easy to fix on mine (I hope). On the other hand, maybe shouldn't disturb this venerable old jack now. It's working fine as is.

I love the transfer screws idea. Never heard of it. Air Forums rocks!
__________________
Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,375
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You know we're talking about the Husky Super Brute 4000/5000, yes?
Where are these three set screws you speak of?
Contact Husky. I gotta believe there is a way to rotate the head.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Parker , williamdcrockett
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
agree. You can loosen the allen screw and rotate the head on the jack that airstream uses on this trailer. That is how I rotated the jack on my 2012 27FB. Maybe his 2017 27FB is using a different jack.
__________________
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,024
Rotating the jack 90 degrees. (Math test)

But to figure the X Y coordinates for drilling is it sin or cosin pos or neg when rotate CCW and viewed upside down. And is it the same if your in the Southern Hemisphere.

Got to figure it out folks!
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrockett View Post
agree. You can loosen the allen screw and rotate the head on the jack that airstream uses on this trailer. That is how I rotated the jack on my 2012 27FB. Maybe his 2017 27FB is using a different jack.
Airstream is using an Atwood 4000.
It has a triangular base, so drilling new holes is not possible. Rotating the head would be nice but I can't see how.

I picked the Husky because of the good reviews and the price is better than the Barker.
__________________

__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40" UHD 4K TV Rotating Mount BASE729 Audio, Video & TV 7 03-25-2015 06:53 PM
Rotating Tires moosetags Tires 3 07-24-2011 10:06 AM
Rotating a 29-footer by hand? mikeandnora General Repair Forum 18 02-03-2011 12:16 PM
Carrier A/C rotating vents jkcru Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 2 08-30-2007 07:43 AM
Microwave rotating dish in transit.... Silvertwinkie Off Topic Forum 15 04-23-2004 03:50 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.