Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Repair Broken Electric Ultra Jack Pin

My electric Ultra Jack model 3502 manufactured by Ultra Fab Products of Elkhart, Indiana was rendered inoperative due to a broken steel "headed pin".

Once this has occurred it is impossible to use the manual cranking handle to raise or lower the jack foot. You now have a problem!

Here's what's happening!

If you own one of these jacks you can get the operating and maintenance instructions from Ultra Fab's Web site Download it now and follow along.

http://manage.ultra-fabproducts.com/..._operation.pdf

This offending part (#14 in the illustration) is located on the top of the main gear and is secured by an Allen screw on the flat end. The pin end goes into the top of the threaded screw jack (#11). This part transfers the turning force from the main gear (#8) to the screw jack which in turn lifts or lower an object, like an Airstream trailer.

The replacement part costs about $9.00. I tackled the repair today and fixed it, but kinda sorta - there is another "issue"!

I removed the threaded jack screw to see what was inside and found two broken washers. Not a good sign. Obviously I am going to replace them along with the wafer thin thrust bearing that is sandwiched between them.

I called Ultra Fab and spoke with tech support. The mechanic with whom I spoke told me the main reason this headed pin is destroyed is that some people try to raise the jack foot too high. The result is often this critical pin shearing off when the screw reaches the end of its' travel. This action may save the motor from damage which is far more costly and difficult to repair.

He added that they put a label on the sleeve indicating minimum screw travel but many people ignore it.

I re-installed the jack on the trailer but will leave it as it is for the time being. I'll replace the bearing and washers and seriously lube it with bearing grease in the Spring.

Hope this helps.

"Mister Mike", W1RC

Visit NEAR-Fest - Deerfield NH
Best Ham Radio Show Anywhere!
www-near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Glad you were able to get it fixed Mike. Have you considered carrying a spare pin in your tool bag?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Hi Kevin:

I'll be orderiing a spare along with the washers and thrust bearing. I made a note in the TO DO list for when I overhaul the jack in March/April is to put a strip of red tape around the jack leg to make sure I don't try to raise it too high which I think will avoid the problem altogether.
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1RC View Post
Hi Kevin:

I'll be orderiing a spare along with the washers and thrust bearing. I made a note in the TO DO list for when I overhaul the jack in March/April is to put a strip of red tape around the jack leg to make sure I don't try to raise it too high which I think will avoid the problem altogether.
Good to hear. If the tape creates a clearance issue you can also use some spray paint. We masked ours off and painted a black ring around the post about one inch before the upper and lower travel limits.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ultra fab, ultra jack, electric jack