Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Lots of good ideas biggest problem is guessing how far off level is OK before damage is done to the refrigerator.

I follow the rule, If it is comfortable to walk in your rig, it is good enough for the refrigerator, they will still work better and last longer the more level you make them.

5 deg is a pretty good slope for a 31ft trailer you are probably looking at more than the 12" you have planned on.

My guess it will take a combination of backing up some kind of ramp and lowering the front.

At one time I had thought of building a ramp from a railroad tie cut in half with a long slope. Never did build it but I think it would work as a ramp. You would have to back up straight the distance of two wheels.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
An easier way?

Post 13 mentions that you want to cool the fridge down before loading it. I'm assuming the "load" will already be cold coming from your house fridge. How about putting a bag or 2 of ice in the fridge overnite? Just put it in a pan or bowl to catch any melted runoff. The food will keep the fridge cold long enough till it cools on it's own. A fridge keeps the air inside cold. A fridge full of food is more efficient than one with little food. All of the cold air escapes whenever the door is open. The idea of having the fridge cold so you can put in warm cans/bottles of your favorite beverage to cool enroute will actually warm up the inside. If these same cans/bottles were loaded cold, they would help to keep the inside cold. Extra efficiency could be obtained if anything that could be frozen previously like meats would help out too.
This way you won't have to worry about driving off the ramps or leaving them in the street upon departure.

PS. You don't have to buy bags of ice. Just freeze some water in empty 1 gallon milk jugs. This would eliminate the need for a pan or bowl inside. After loading up the food, put the jugs in the sink or shower pan. They will give you fresh drinking water from home after they melt.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote