Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
S/OS#62

2000 34' Limited S/O
Aubrey , Texas
Power Twin Stabilizers and fore/aft trailer movement on campsite with slight grade

Hello all,

I recently bought a used 34' Airstream travel trailer that has the Ultra 5000 Power Twin stabilizer jacks and was wondering if there was a maximum amount that these stabilizer jacks should be extended for prolonged stays at campsites. They seem to get a bit wobbly when close to fully extended. I am also wondering if there is a maximum recommended extension of the tongue jack for the same situation.

The site that I am currently staying in has a bit of slope to it front to back, so that the front jacks are extended quite a bit more than the rear. It's not a huge slope, maybe 12"/18" over the distance between the stabilizer jacks.

The trailer wheels are chocked but just with wood blocks. There is consequently a noticable fore/aft movement of the trailer when moving around inside. And when outside the trailer and pushing on it to rock it fore-aft, you can see that the trailer rocks on the front stabilizer jacks as well as the tongue jack. It's not too much but enough to be a little uncomfortable when inside, as well as for my well being.

I am thinking that it might be a good idea to put blocks under the front jacks so that the stabilizers don't have to reach so far down. Also, I would like to hear what suggestions y'all might have for the best way to eliminate this rocking altogether.

This is my first post, by the way. Howdy!

Thanks.
TX_Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Blocks under all the jack pads would help, but a more level site would be the winner.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I agree with the prior post. If you can get a more level site, do it. If this is not possible or desireable, put some pieces of 2x10 or the Lego typre levelers under the stablizer feet so that they are not so far extended. this will make them firm.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
_

. , .
hi tx and WELCOME to the forums...

folks don't realize that with these looooooong units even a little slope is significant.

the jacks and tongue function without issue fully extended...

but it takes a long time to retract them once out.

consider adding blocks UNDER the jack pads and under the tongue stand to reduce extension.

i've been in sites where even fully extended this was necessary.

also with so much slope, make sure the tires cannot roll even a tad...

i use rotochoks purchased at the a/s dealer in weatherford tx...

Rotochok Online

once these are in place, there is NO tire/wheel MOVEMENT

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
block the wheels

I'm with 2air, I use the RotoChoks and although my A/S is only 25', I am really satisfied. Not only on flat parking spots but on the occasions where I was really extended (either fore or aft). Regular wooden chocks just don't hold things steady like this style (there are other brands that effectively do the same...all about the same cost).

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
I always use wood blocks under all 4 jacks for stability, without the blocks the 34 is like a rocking horse (exaggerated) wife said it is that way, oh well.

drive safe
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
I carry two sets of Link Levelers (sp? - plastic interlocking pieces). On un-level sites they work great to roll up on. Stack them up to reduce the extension of tongue jack and stabilizers. Use under stabilizers on soft ground. They are much lighter to carry along than wood and wood blocks.

As far as the long time to retract the stabilizers - I use a cordless drill with a cut off extension and proper sized socket, no sweating for me and the time to retract is minimal.

Those Rotochoks look great, I need to get a pair!
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
S/OS#62

2000 34' Limited S/O
Aubrey , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks everybody,

I put a wood block under the tongue jack and blocked the wheel movement with a set of good wheel chocks. She's good to go now.
TX_Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote