Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
TJS

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
Power Tongue Jack may be jammed

HELP!

2014 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin.
Just returned home to Denver area after two week camping outing to SW CO and can't unhook. The Power tongue jack first stopped going down, only up, a few days back. Figured it may be a problem with the up/down switch, got into it and jiggled the wires a bit, reassembled, and lo and behold everything worked well for a few days -- until yesterday, when it stopped going both up and down when we were trying to unhook and camp by Reudi Reservoir near Aspen (beautiful place).

Checked the fuse and this time it was burned out. Got out the tool to manually turn it but, alas, it wouldn't turn. Since the trailer was fully connected and the jack was all the way up, we just left it hooked up and slept in it while connected, and drove it home today.

Bought a new 30-amp fuse in Glenwood Springs, flicked the switch down, and the entire power head turned suddenly and stopped as it contacted the cover over the propane tanks. Now we are home and trying to figure out --

What to do next?

Tom
thomasjstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Yikes! Is it a Barker? Call them, hopefully they can help.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You should have a hand crank somewhere in the trailer. Set screws are used to lock the head in place. They will loosen up. Checking them is part of my PM schedule.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Lock the airstream tires so it won't move. Be sure the trailer will not move!!!

Use a floor or bottle jack to raise the tongue to unhitch.

What type jack?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
TJS

Currently Looking...
Still unsure

Yes it is a Barker. Called them (during working hours) when the first incident happened -- only going up/ not down. They didn't answer, so I left a message. They never returned my call.

I did try the hand crank. It wouldn't turn. I didn't want to force it by trying as hard as I could because it looks like the crank itself would bend.

I do have a floor jack and will try that if all else fails tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

I can't believe this is happening. Trailer is like new. Of course the warranty has expired.

Any other suggestions out there? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
could be lift shaft is bent and binding. this happens if extended too far and trailer moves.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I had that happen, the jack would go up not down. The shaft was bent. I had to replace the jack.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Sounds like a loose connection or a bad contact in the switch. Check the switch by jumping it with a short 12 ga., piece of wire.
If the switch is OK, look for poor ground connection. The mounting screws complete the electrical path to frame ground. I have seen technicians run a heavy duty 12 ga. wire parallel to the hot wire down the jack post to the screws in the frame.
If the post won't crank with the manual handle, call Airstream and they will send you a new one on an emergency basis, as they normally do not sell direct to customers. They did that for me when I was dry camping at the EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, WI. All I did was find a UP/FedEx delivery point for and address, like USPS General Delivery.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Yhomasjsxtone. You may want to read this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1803267

if you search "Jack" by cruzindux on the above thread there is a lot of discussion starting at about 921. FY 30 amp slo blow fuses and generally available at Napa & BUSS. I bought a bunch.

First off JC and Barker were great. The issue is possibly a re-sequencing. Barker will send the 1 page instruction. The also posted on the 20 footers thread.

Barker shipped a new head and foot plate to he local dealer who installed it. Mine was also frozen and the handle would not turn. The local dealer fixed that when the installed the new head.

I truly think my real problem started with the lost post plate. The dealer replaced it with my approval with an aftermarket that utilized pin. The OEM is with a 3/4" bolt, that is now on my daily tightening regime when towing. It also has a collar that we finally discovered was not allowing the auto stop on theh head to operate correctly...no stop...blow freeze and freeze post. Had to use a bottle jack to hitch and unhitch.

Call Barker first. They were great to work with. I dealt with Bob Archer.

good luck

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
Frozen jack

I had the Barker jack get stuck; thankfully in up position.. Changed fuse to no avail. Was told Barkers have plastic gears; and not to fully extend or retract post. Replaced at Camping World with electric jack with steel gears. Was cautioned again about full extraction and retraction.
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
Our jack failed last fall - I had removed the head and replaced without synchronizing with the electric switch that limits travel. The gears in the head stripped. Of course we were un-hooked at a campground with the jack all the way down. At that time we did not have the hand crank(we do now). When my wife looked at the notch in the top of the jack after the head was removed, her brilliant idea was to use a 1" wood bit (one of those flat speed bits) and the electric drill to raise and lower. Worked like a charm.

I have since replaced the gears, synched the jack with the electric shut off, bought the had crank and - carry a 1" speed bit in the tool box.
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV View Post
I had the Barker jack get stuck; thankfully in up position.. Changed fuse to no avail. Was told Barkers have plastic gears; and not to fully extend or retract post. Replaced at Camping World with electric jack with steel gears. Was cautioned again about full extraction and retraction.
exactly
Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Where can we find a hand crank? I would think that one should have come with my new Airstream, but it didn't. The dealer says it's optional.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Mine was in the box of misc. under the bed. Instead of the hand crank, you may have a small adaptor which permits a drill to connect with the jack shaft?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
TJS

Currently Looking...
Working again

Yesterday I removed the head and per the instructions pasted to the unit, I manually grounded it with 14 gauge wire and then ran the motor until it stopped (by flicking the switch down). I then, per those instructions, tried to "synchronize" the head and post by manually turning the post with the OEM handle but it still wouldn't turn. So I said "what the heck" and re-installed the head and alas, when I flicked the switch down, it worked!

I again removed the head to see if I now could turn the post gear manually using the OEM tool, and yes, I could (it moves very easily when it is not stuck).

SO we successfully unhooked. From here on out we will try to NEVER run the jack all the way up until it stops. (as some of you have said here in this thread)

My final question relates to the 30A fuse. I could only find standard ones at the NAPA store in Glenwood Springs -- and that is what is installed right now. Is it important to use only the slo-blow fuses? Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great news Tom, thanks for the follow up. Yes, only a slow-blow 30A fuse.

Check out the NAPA etc. links at the beginning of this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...se-151073.html

When I got mine at a NAPA store, the counter clerk did not see any in the fuse rack, so she looked up the part number, and then realized that the slow-blow variety of 30A fuse was in the rack, but was not labeled accurately on the edge of the 5-pack.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
thomasjstone, try this link.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...se-151073.html

There was a lot of fuse discussion, both slow blow, availability and conversion to a blade type. Seems there was also a comment on why the SB is used.

as an aside I was reading the paperwork on the Fantastic fan and they spec'd a 4 amp slow blow.

I suspect the standard will be fine for now, but personally and order some from napa when you get home.

BTW congrats on getting it going.

Bob
Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is there an echo in here? Good minds think alike . . .

Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
really
Old 07-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #20
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Where can we find a hand crank? I would think that one should have come with my new Airstream, but it didn't. The dealer says it's optional.
My 2016 FC has an Atwood, not a Barker. They do not come standard with hand crank, but a electric drill adapter. Mine was missing the adapter. Airstream provided one on request and I ordered a hand crank on line.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote