Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Ten Mile (near Knoxville) , Tennessee
Power rear stabilizers on 34' Limited

Well I have searched the forums and I have not found any reference to total replacement, parts or repair. I recently bought a '92 34' Limited and one of the stabilizers is not there and the other is pretty buggered up from a pretty nasty tail drag(s) and is jammed up and not functional.

I have also searched suppliers websites (new AS dealers also) and have not found any replacements or parts. I am thinking of removing all that is left and installing new manual stabilizers. Has anyone been through this or know where I can find new or used replacement parts? I know I would be fine with manual but I would like to go back with what it originally left the factory with.

Thanks and any help is appreciated.
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
BAL stabilizers
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Look at the model 24210 motor drive for the BAL stabilizers too. It is on the BAL website.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
You may have the same stabilizers as my '98 Limited. Here is a pdf of the unit parts list.

Pat
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ultra 5000 Power Twin.pdf (1.60 MB, 123 views)

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply......obviously I was not even thinking of the manufacturer as I was looking at all the retail sources. That is why the forums are here.

I will figure out what I need and get the replaced/fixed as needed.

The 34' is a going to be a challenge as it seems to be quite similar to what I have had in the past but yet still has unique features that I have never dealt with.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Btw,

You can over stabilize and flex ends up so much your doors won't work right and other problems. Do be careful.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore View Post
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply......obviously I was not even thinking of the manufacturer as I was looking at all the retail sources. That is why the forums are here.

I will figure out what I need and get the replaced/fixed as needed.

The 34' is a going to be a challenge as it seems to be quite similar to what I have had in the past but yet still has unique features that I have never dealt with.
Your jacks are called "BAL".

Some on line Airstream parts dealers have them, but only as a complete jack.

Repair parts for them have never been available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
kmoore,
I have my electric rear and front jacks removed from my trailer right now because of some other extensive work that I'm doing (see this thread if you're interested http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ted-85517.html). In the next couple of months I will be disassembling and refurbishing the rear jacks (work on rust, bent metal, repaint, lube gearboxes and maybe disassemble/clean/lube gearboxes). When that time comes, I'll be doing some posting on that issue in this forum. The 5000 Power Twin is the same unit that I have in the rear of my '91. I believe that the manufacturing rights have been bought and sold a couple of times. Ultra Fab is the current manufacturer and here is the current version Ultra-Fab Power Twin Electric Stabilizer for Trailers and RVs - 18" Lift - 5,000 lbs Ultra-Fab Products Trailer Jack UF39-941600.

I'd do some online looking for a used unit in good condition. If you want to talk about this further, send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number.

BTW, I know right where Ten Mile, Tennessee is. You see, I am originally from Cleveland, TN and I attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville for four years (graduated in 1971). While I-75 was still under construction, US-11 had really become choked-down with traffic. I used to drive back and forth on highway 411 or highway 58 lots of times. My 33 year old son was born in Wichita, KS but moved to Cleveland (actually the Eureka community in Bradley County) in 2002. My dad also grew up in Hardin Valley northeast of you. Sometimes, it's a small world!

All my best,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

1997 34' Limited
1994 33' Land Yacht
Lexington Park , Maryland
Andy, I have read many of your comments over the past 2 years. I have these electric jacks on a '97 M35. I am having a problem with one of them, one side works correctly, however the other jack goes down, but will not come up via the toggle switch. Are you familiar with anyone who could repair this? I am in Maryland. Ted
Tinkstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Tink, I suspect you have the Ultra Fab stabilizers. Check out the link above, and my pdf file posted earlier in this thread. Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Andy thanks for the reply.

Steve I will check that out and decide what I will do. Right now I am using manual stands just to keep it stabilized. Small world isnt it, heck even people in Knox county ask where in the world Ten Mile is! Grew up in the midwest as an Army brat in Leavenworth and Sill, my sister and her family live in Tulsa. I have an office in Chattanooga and a few of our employees live in Cleveland!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
kmore,
For another point of connection, I used to live in Tulsa, OK for two years while I went to Spartan School of Aeronautics. We've now lived in Wichita for 37 years.

Ted,
If one of your rear jacks works here's something that I'd try if you are so inclined. In order to see if the problem is with the jack motor or the wiring running to it (including the control switch) you can remove the cover plate on the road side and that will expose the wires for the road and curb side motors. There are four big wire nuts that splice the eight wires together.

Then have someone operate the side that works and with a volt meter, check the wire nuts (black and red wires or the other pair with the white and green wires). Then stick the volt meter in the other pair of wire nuts and have the assistant operate the opposite side switch to see if you have voltage.

If you have voltage (polarity will reverse when switch goes up or down) then the fault is with the motor. If you do not have voltage, you can verify that the motor does work by directly powering the jack back in the back (put a 20 A circuit breaker in line with one of the power leads to protect the motor if there is a short). If the motor works when powered directly, The problem is in the wiring or switch. I'd start by removing the control box in the front storage compartment and see if the switch is faulty or a connection has come loose).

Steve
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

1997 34' Limited
1994 33' Land Yacht
Lexington Park , Maryland
Steve, excellent suggestions. Thank you very much for the advice. After seeing the pictures you have, I am sure it will be a poor connection. Given the use of wire nuts, I can only assume corrosion will be the culprit.
Tinkstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Ted,
Corrosion is a big foe with the use of wire nuts on external connections as you mention. If you indeed do have corrosion or you just want to be proactive, you can remove the wire nuts one at a time, take the wires apart and take a small wire brush (about the size of a toothbrush and preferably one with stainless bristles) and brush the corrosion off until the copper is nice and shiny. Then take some silicone grease and apply it to the wires directly then re-twist the wires and install the wire nut. The silicone grease will help exclude moisture from your connection for many years to come. Clean your hands and the exterior of the wire nuts and wires with some sort of solvent that is effective in removing silicone. Then carefully use electrical tape to cover the wire nut and the insulation of the wire for an inch or two. Reinstall the wire nuts in their enclosure so that the inlet of the wire nut is angled down a few degrees. This will allow gravity to tend to drain any water away from the cavity of the wire nut. This approach is helpful on brake wires or any similar application.

Steve

PS
If you have further questions and would like to discuss this over the phone, send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
This is a bit of an update on parts availability from Ultra Fab. You can see up in post 12 that my left/road side end cap is pretty well busted up. I did some checking and called the Ultra-Fab company in Elkhart, IN (574) 294-7571. Note: these parts are not listed on their website and their phone number is not on their website. So I had to do a search for "Ultra-Fab Products, Elkhart, IN" to find the number. They connected me to a man who knew quite a lot about the old parts inventory of the A&E Ultra 5000. I gave him the part number of the end cap and he said that he would look, but he was sure that he had some end caps and since I wanted the one with the holes, he could also send me the "junction box closeout piece (I made up this name)." He charged me $4.70 for each part plus UPS shipping charges and I got them a couple of days ago. This was a very pleasant surprise!

Steve

Parts out of box

Old versus New from Back Side

Old versus New from Front Side