Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Power Jacks - Any Cautions?

Greetings, All.

Camping World has a good sale on power jacks and I am greatly tempted to replace my original manual one. Can anyone think of any issues that would make that job more difficult than it would seem to be?

Thanks - Pat.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Pat, just a few points that you're probably already familiar with:
1. On my trailer, power to the jack is from a tap off the wire to the break-away switch on the A-frame. The frame is used as the ground return. This circuit usually has to be able to carry about 14 amps on a two axle trailer.

2. You will need detailed instructions on how to set-up the power jack before the power is first switched on. The jack motor limit switches have to "learn" when the jack is at its highest and lowest points. These instructions should come with the jack. If not, just ask the forum.

3. You might like to install a concealed switch in the power line. Mischievious fingers can do a lot of damage by pulling out the break-away switch or operating the jack while the stabilizers are down.

I think you'll just love the power jack! Nick.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Nick. I hadn't thought of the break-away switch - should be easier than going to the battery compartment under my couch.

I think I'll do it. I have almost convinced myself that I can justify it not because I'm too lazy to crank, but it is opportunity to customize!

Pat
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Watch for Calluses developing on your switch finger.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I am proud to report that I successfully installed the power hitch today. I know that it is not nearly so intricate a project as those I read about on the Forum, but I am delighted nonetheless.

Installation went smoothly - I removed the propane tanks and platform in order to get plenty of working room. While that was off, I went ahead and cleaned the rust spots that had developed and applied some rust-o-leum (wonderful stuff, that is). The jack fit perfectly in the old space.

I was especially pleased to find a convenient, non-dedicated hot wire along with the ones that service the break-away switch. I did not take Nick's advice and place an inline switch, but I think I will do that next. I can see that the temptation to play with the switch may be irresistable to anyone who thinks that would be fun.

I went ahead and got the 3500 rather than the 3000 lb unit just because it was only 20 bucks more. So what the hell.

Pat
Old 09-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
oh- by the way, the avatar pic is one of Page (she's the pretty one on the left) and me at the Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. I hope we can go back there in the not-too-distant future.

Our thoughts are there with those much-suffering people.

Pat
Old 09-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Congratulations on your jack installation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
oh- by the way, the avatar pic is one of Page (she's the pretty one on the left) and me at the Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. I hope we can go back there in the not-too-distant future.

Our thoughts are there with those much-suffering people.

Pat
Thanks for sharing the stories about the jack and New Orleans. We are thinking about a new jack.
Re: Cafe du Monde. Amen!! Lovely story! We honeymooned in NO and cafe au lait and beignets with a copy of the Times-Picayune are favorites.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I am proud to report that I successfully installed the power hitch today.Pat
Well done, Pat. Every successful project gives us a little more skill and confidence for the next, and there will be a next...........
Nick
Old 09-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Installing a New Power Jack

Glad your power jack installation went smoothly. I do also recommend an inline switch to keep others from operating your jack. I returned after a days outing to camp and found my trailer A frame jack extended as high as it would go. My concern was for the refrigerator having been operated in an off level condition.

If I could have identified the culprit responsible, there would have been WORDS.

Kevin in NC

72 Ambassador International
78 Argosy Minuet 6.7
64 Bambi II 17
Old 09-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for the comments, guys (Steph - we're all "guys" aren't we?). Kevin, sounds like you avoided damage, luckily. I guess the main fear would be that the jack was raised with the real stabilizing feet down.

Pat
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #11

1979 31' Excella 500
Nashville , Tennessee
I am trying to repair my power jack. The limit switch mechanism got out of time and the beveled motor drive shaft ground off the teeth on its mating gear. Can I find a replacement gear now that I have resolved the timing issue? Where may I find the gear? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Gene, if it was made by H & H Engineering, as is likely, parts are available from Barker Manufacturing Inc. from the retail store part of their website at http://www.barkermfg.com/retailstore/c30.html
As yours is not a recent model, you may need to phone for advice. I have found the company staff to be helpful. Alternatively, you may wish to invest in a new jack. I would be tempted to do that with an electrical device of that age, with possible corrosion and the increasing difficulty of getting replacement parts. Good luck with your search.
Nick.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Power Jack - Caution

Hello -

The only caution I'd pass along is that it is very easy to begin raising/lowering the trailer tongue while the stabilizing jacks are lowered.
You won't feel the resistance that you would with a hand jack.
Make sure you raise the stabilizers before operating the power jack.

steve
Old 10-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Separate Breaker

We have our power jack on a separate breaker. We leave the power off when we are not using the jack. I keeps any "accidental" movement of the jack.

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote