Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Power Jack Wire: Where Does it Terminate?

I've got a 2008 Classic 25fb with hydraulic disc brakes.
I traced the power wire from my Barker jack and it comes off the wire bundle that is also has wires connected to the trailer brake safety switch on the A frame. The wires are wrapped and I can feel a bulge as the loom curves under the A frame, so that must be the fuse for the power jack (Barker Superjack). The wires then enter a hole in the frame. I guess the two wires for the brake safety switch must go to the hydraulic brake actuator but where does the power wire terminate to, somewhere in the interior of the trailer, maybe under the front bed where the converter is located?

That brings up another question. Is the power wire for the LP detector wired into the same place? I'd like to move it downstream of the Use/Store switch so its deactivated when the in the Store mode.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in my unit both of those wires are there near the converter. the lp detector has an inline glass fuse.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not that we should expect any consistency, but my LP detector wire is orange with an inline fuse holder. I moved mine like you suggest.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Crossville , Tennessee
Got a similar question except my 72 AS had no wiring for the Tongue Jack. The Jack itself was so locked up I bought an 18" LCI Jack. But I have no wiring schematics to go by to hook up power. Anyone have suggestion what kind of lead I need from Jack and where does it get its Power? Thanks in advance!
Jbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mine has a power lead with an inline fuse that goes directly to a ring terminal on the battery positive post. My battery box is on the A frame. I assume it is grounded to the A frame. Works for me.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The Barker Superjack power jack on my 2005 is wired directly to the batteries located on the A-frame with 12ga wire and a 30A inline slow blow fuse. It's grounded to the frame.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
The Barker Superjack power jack on my 2005 is wired directly to the batteries located on the A-frame with 12ga wire and a 30A inline slow blow fuse. It's grounded to the frame.
It's actually a 10AWG wire, hence the 30 amp fuse.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
It's actually a 10AWG wire, hence the 30 amp fuse.
That could be Lew. The manual specs it as a 12G wire though...unless the manual is wrong. It is an older H&H so maybe they increased the wire size on the newer jacks.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
That could be Lew. The manual specs it as a 12G wire though...unless the manual is wrong.
According to NEC code, any 12 AWG wire should be protected with a 20 amp circuit protection device and any 10 AWG wire should use a 30 amp device, as these numbers represent the rated ampacity of the wires in question. If you DO have a 12AWG wire with a 30 amp fuse , it id not to coed and the fuse should be replaced with a 20 amp version.

Having re-wired many jack positive leads when changing battery banks or adding solar, all of the wires have been 10AWG. I would physically check yours to be sure.

Manuals have been known for their errors and omissions on many occasions.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Thanks for the info, Lew. I'll check it out. It was installed at the factory so hopefully they got it right and used a 10g wire. You got my curiosity up so I checked the current Barker manuals on their website and they still call for a 12g wire. Maybe I need to contact them and let them know about the NEC code and their error. I wonder how many self-installed jacks are out there with mismatched wire/fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	227006  
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interesting that they would publish installation instructions that clearly state using a fuse that is too large for the wire ampacity. I would love to know their reasoning for this........

Thanks for including their install page.