Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Power Jack Problem

My 1984 Excella 31 rear b/r center bath has the Power Jack installed. It has always worked fine until one of the rampant know-it-alls exceeded the upper-limit of the jack's travel and stripped the little fiber gear inside the main housing. That part is designated "2nd/3rd gear assembly" in the Service Manual. Anybody know where I can get another one in order to repair this problem? I think I can probably replace it myself if I can find the part. The jack is original to this Airstream. Thanks ahead of time for any help. Jason Brooks
Old 03-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jason, is there a brand name on the jack? If not you can give a call to Airstream and possibly see if they can ID it for you. Maybe there are parts still around.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Are you sure it is stripped?

Mine has an overrun protection built into it - the PO had ran it up to the point of not working (I thought it was stripped) - I removed the power unit, manually screwed the leg down a couple of inches, and the fiber gears meshed once more after I lowered the center jack post. It now operates fine.

One other point, I had a "squirrely ground" problem - solved by installing a battery to frame grounding strap and "polishing" (seating bright metal to bright metal) the compression areas under the three bolts holding the power jack assembly to the tongue.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Need a Jack?

In spirit of sharing, we have Airstream jack removed from 1989 Excella 25, with up/down toggle switch. Was working when removed, but was welded to frame and hitch flange, and PO had pulled forward while jacked, resulting in about 10 degree top to bottom rearward slope to jack shaft... New Atwood unit is vertical, is bolted into flange, and has a light, so I'm happier..

Motor and transmission worked fine, and unit includes manual jack handle... Whilst it might fetch huge $$$ on E-Bay, I'm willing to send it to someone here who needs parts or wants to work on straightening flange... Would ask for only packing and freight charges...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

To Mr. JBMcG

Yes siree, I would greatly appreciate being the recipient of your kind offer. Please let me know what the charges are and I will do whatever it takes to transfer the money to you. Thank you for your generosity. Jason Brooks
Old 03-07-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Jason, is there a brand name on the jack? If not you can give a call to Airstream and possibly see if they can ID it for you. Maybe there are parts still around.

Jack

I didn't look for a brand name on the housing. That is a very good idea. I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks. JAB
Old 03-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Are you sure it is stripped?

Mine has an overrun protection built into it - the PO had ran it up to the point of not working (I thought it was stripped) - I removed the power unit, manually screwed the leg down a couple of inches, and the fiber gears meshed once more after I lowered the center jack post. It now operates fine.

One other point, I had a "squirrely ground" problem - solved by installing a battery to frame grounding strap and "polishing" (seating bright metal to bright metal) the compression areas under the three bolts holding the power jack assembly to the tongue.
Yes, unfortunately, stripped. I took off the little metal bonnet and could see that the brown fiber gear had about an inch of its teeth ground down from the other gear meshing with it. I just have to find one and replace it. Thanks for your reply. JAB
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
Motor and transmission worked fine, and unit includes manual jack handle... Whilst it might fetch huge $$$ on E-Bay, I'm willing to send it to someone here who needs parts or wants to work on straightening flange... Would ask for only packing and freight charges...

John McG
John,
It makes me happy to see that we share on here.
I am glad that you are offering your old jack.
I just bought a "returned" jack from the Camping World outlet in Bowling Green, KY. The original store is used as an outlet center too. All of the returns and clearance items are sent there. I paid $100 for a returned jack. It is a Barker and retails right around $229.
I hope someone can make use of your old jack.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I have replaced several of these gears on my Airstreams over the years. Probably due to my own fault on occasion. They are definitely a week link and now I always keep one on hand. You can get them direct from Barker Manufacturing for about $25. Scroll down to the Super Jack.
http://www.barkermfg.com/retailstore/c30.html
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
I have replaced several of these gears on my Airstreams over the years. Probably due to my own fault on occasion. They are definitely a week link and now I always keep one on hand. You can get them direct from Barker Manufacturing for about $25. Scroll down to the Super Jack.

You, sir, are a gentlemanly scholar. Thank you very much for your kind information. I ordered one of the gears tonight and happily anticipate its arrival. Hopefully even I can figure out how to install the thing. Thanks again. This is what these forums are so good at. Jason Brooks
Old 03-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
No problem. When you loosen the four screws, about 200 springs, washers and various pieces will come flying out of the casing. Simply gather them up and carefully put them back together. I’m Kidding! You won't have any problem installing it. It might be a good time to adjust the limiters too but it’s been awhile since I last did mine so I don’t have a fresh mental picture. I remember it was simple. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
No problem. When you loosen the four screws, about 200 springs, washers and various pieces will come flying out of the casing. Simply gather them up and carefully put them back together. I’m Kidding! You won't have any problem installing it. It might be a good time to adjust the limiters too but it’s been awhile since I last did mine so I don’t have a fresh mental picture. I remember it was simple. Good luck.

Hey, I thought as long as it was no more than 200 I could probably manage it. Thanks again for your advice. I love this forum. Jason Brooks
Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Why do the little buggers never fail in your driveway?

On my 73 it wasn't stripped the fiber part started slipping on the metal shaft. I lucked out and found an all metal replacement gear.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Power Jack for free + shipping?

Well-

One of our members got a new jack for a present, and another has apparently decided to repair his, so here's the updated offer...

I still have original power jack from our 1988 Excella, including hand crank, boxed and ready to ship, which I'll gladly do in return for payment of packing charges (box + foam + plastic worked out to $19..) plus freight to your location... If this doesn't work, I'll go try e-bay, but I'd rather see it go to forum member first...

As reminder, it works perfectly in terms of up and down, is missing round foot plate, and was bent gently by prior owner so that flange is not perfectly perpendicular with shaft.. Looks like trailer was pulled forward while jack in contact with ground... Has no light, but does have cig plug receptacle added...

Photo's attached.. If interested, send PM or e-mail to get final quote for delivery (from San Franncisco area..) and arrange payment..

John McG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_Jack2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	10996   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_Jack1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	10997  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 03-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Next to last chance... Free Power Jack

Just wanted to post reminder for this... Working AS Power jack for delivered price of $30+...

John McG

Old 03-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #16

Power jack

Hi If no one else is interested in used power jack I sure am. Have jack with a cracked motor housing that still works but for how long is the big question.I am located in Washington state zip is 98584.Let me know what total is and where to send amount to.Thanks. Bob
drwfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
I went to your advised URL listed above on 9 March 05, even sent them a credit card payment for the part, but never heard from them and did not receive the part, at least as of now. I sent them an email requesting information on the transaction a week ago, but they didn't answer it. Maybe they aren't in business any longer? Got any other ideas? Thanks for your kind help and quick reply. Jason Brooks
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvywrtr
I went to your advised URL listed above on 9 March 05, even sent them a credit card payment for the part, but never heard from them and did not receive the part, at least as of now. I sent them an email requesting information on the transaction a week ago, but they didn't answer it. Maybe they aren't in business any longer? Got any other ideas? Thanks for your kind help and quick reply. Jason Brooks
I used them last year about this time, but I called them. They took my order, my payment and happily sent my parts. You might try giving them a jingle, as I got the impression that they didn't spend much time in front of a computer.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvywrtr
I don't know what to tell you. I would call them and see if they received your order. I've traded with them several times but I placed my order over the phone.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleskeep
I used them last year about this time, but I called them. They took my order, my payment and happily sent my parts. You might try giving them a jingle, as I got the impression that they didn't spend much time in front of a computer.
That would be a good idea, but I looked over their site and couldn't find their telephone number anywhere. Did you keep it in your notebook by any chance? Jason Brooks