Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Power Jack Limit Exceeded...?

Hi All,

I'm sure this is a rookie move, but I did it. I must have exceeded the up limit on the power jack as it now will not move the cylinder up or down to raise the AS. It powers fine and I can see after opening the cover that the chain and belt are intact and they do move.

Previous owner mentioned something about the limit and not to exceed it but I was too excited when I bought it and didn't completely catch what he said.

The unit is a 77 Land Yacht (31) and the jack is a Power Jac.

Is there a trick to fixing this???

Thanks so much for your help!
Mike
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
Not sure how your jack is configured. On our 2008 Classic after a trip to a local RV dealer, the head of the jack was loose. I complained to the service manager and we took it off, fiddled with it and replaced - some allen screws were loose. Next trip, the jack stopped working. On further review, I had not replaced the head correctly - the jack needs to be timed. There is a shut off in the electronics that stops power to the jack before it hits the end of travel.

The jack on this unit has a tube with notches 180 degrees apart that the drive head fits into. My wife had the brilliant idea of using a spade bit and electric drill to drive the jack - this worked really well.

The head has now been repaired and installed correctly.

Hope this helps.
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Thanks...

I think what has happened is that exceeding the limit caused the gears to unsync. The motor has been loud since I bought the AS last season so I imagine that shouldve been my warning sign.

Rather than mess around I ran to Harbor Freight and bought their jack...quick and easy improvement.

Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
On my previous TT, the jack got un-synced - I corrected this by removing the weight from the jack and running it up and down a couple of times. This is what I would try first, before taking it apart
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster View Post
Hi All,

I'm sure this is a rookie move, but I did it. I must have exceeded the up limit on the power jack as it now will not move the cylinder up or down to raise the AS. It powers fine and I can see after opening the cover that the chain and belt are intact and they do move.

Previous owner mentioned something about the limit and not to exceed it but I was too excited when I bought it and didn't completely catch what he said.

The unit is a 77 Land Yacht (31) and the jack is a Power Jac.

Is there a trick to fixing this???

Thanks so much for your help!
Mike
Mike maybe..... Here is a link as I had a similar problem.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...127845-72.html post #1004

I also thought I had exceeded the uptake, but I remember both at walk thru and later with the dealer, that it stops automatically, or should by design. After talks with Barker, then dealer and JC (in that order) I have a new head on the way to correct the non-functionality of the self limiting switch/circuitry. The dealer wil reinstall and re-sequence the head.

Note I have a Barker and you have a Power Jac, but I suspect this principle may apply.

When I first talked to Barker they indicated in needed to be re-sequenced...essentially resetting the zero to 3 the travel of the post. I have attached the instructions for Barker unit in case your is similar...probably at least in concept.

I would try calling CS at PowerJac first. and I you really need to get this functioning this weekend and PowerJac is closed, maybe you can gain some insight from the attached.

Good Luck.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barker timing sequence.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	264192  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Note I have a Barker and you have a Power Jac, but I suspect this principle may apply.

Bob
The other notable difference is one jack is 40 years old on a subsequent owner Airstream. The other is a 4 year old jack with I think the original owner.

>>>>>>>>>Action