Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Problem: I don't know Jack

Well the Jack makes a Whir noise and goes DOWN, turn the switch up, slightly audible click and nothing. I had to use a floor jack to lift the trailer up to hitch up. In line fuse and #6 (jack)in the fuse panel are good. There seemed to be a lot of water inside the light plate and under the compass cover.

My courses of action seem to be:
Hope it starts working mysteriously,
Replace the whole thing myself with a new same version, (Level right 3000 from Barker)
HAve AS dealer do it
Some other course of aciton I had not thought of.

I would appreciate any thoughts, I dont think I am the first one to have this happen. I found a similar post from 2003

Thanks,

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Water leak, Jack.

Hi, John. I might, if I were you, take the jack apart to see if water entered into the motor and/or switch. Should be easy to replace the switch if water damaged. Clean it, dry it, seal it, and put it back together and see if it works. Could be that simple or maybe it's gone. Then buy a new jack.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Hondo was a great cat

Salt Lake City , Utah
A New Jack City, Ground Wire question.

Hi All,

I replaced the tongue jack yesterday with the Barker, LEvel Rgiht 3000. Standard Jack that comes with new AS's. Anyway, the diagram talks about ground wire. The old jack did not have a ground wire, just a single wire to the Battery. Since I ALWAYS follow the directions. (yea, right), where should I connect the ground wire. First part should be under the jack but where is a good spot to ground the jack too?

Thanks,

More History

We bought the RV used, there were two things that worried me, the jack was one and I forget what the other one was.

the jack always seemed to be listing forward and seemed to make a lot more noise that other jacks. Anyway, I did'nt trust and for piece of mind, I replaced it. I will take the old one apart and keep it as a spare if it is ok.
Attached Images

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 03-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Lots of information on jack problems on the various threads here. If you have a Barker model, type in "Barker" in the Search menu and you find problems and solutions. Type in "jack" or "power jack" and you'll get too much other stuff.

With my jack problems it was under warranty and I sent is back to get it fixed for free. But I learned it was my fault for hand cranking it and getting it out of sync. Most jack problems can be fixed or repaired- -if you know how the things works.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Hondo was a great cat

Salt Lake City , Utah
Figured it out...

Turns out, the ground is just a bolt with a serrated washer between the jack plate and the tongue body. Everything is working fine. It was really a simple job. I am glad I went with a new jack, it works better, well, it works period and that is a step up.

We are getting her ready for a week on Orcas Island and looking forward to it. Now if I can just keep anything else from going wrong...

J

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'