Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
Power jack

Light works. No power movement. Leave light on and push power switch and blows fuse. Checked all wires. Battery back is good. Sprayed electric cleaner. No change. Any help appreciated.
__________________

Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 546
Sounds like it is jammed up. Try to use the crank that came with it to move it a little either way and see if that frees it up. Also plug and unplug all connections.

Good Luck.

Dave
__________________

NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
I tried that. No luck.
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
I tried that. No luck.
If this is the Atwood (or whatever theyíre called these days) it has a clutch that you should hear if the gears are refusing to move. I assume from the answer above that you tried moving it with the manual crank and it wouldnít budge?
Did you hear the clutch make a ratcheting sound like an electric screwdriver?
If not, I think you possibly have a shorted connection to the motor or the motor itself is shorted.

Iím not a fan of these jacks that AS supplies. Mine failed on the 3rd trip out. Atwood sent me a new one. If the 2nd Atwood fails there are better options out there. Husky I think is one.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,880
Images: 1
Check here for a short...had to wrap and loom ours...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_47c.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	330539  
__________________
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden


"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus


"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
If this is the Atwood (or whatever theyíre called these days) it has a clutch that you should hear if the gears are refusing to move. I assume from the answer above that you tried moving it with the manual crank and it wouldnít budge?

Did you hear the clutch make a ratcheting sound like an electric screwdriver?

If not, I think you possibly have a shorted connection to the motor or the motor itself is shorted.



Iím not a fan of these jacks that AS supplies. Mine failed on the 3rd trip out. Atwood sent me a new one. If the 2nd Atwood fails there are better options out there. Husky I think is one.


It moves
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Check here for a short...had to wrap and loom ours...



Bob



Iíll check that ... Iím leaning towards bad switch
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,617
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Iíll check that ... Iím leaning towards bad switch
Since the light works, that's a good bet.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Since the light works, that's a good bet.
Thereís a short in the circuit somewhere, switch, wiring, motor?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,617
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Thereís a short in the circuit somewhere, switch, wiring, motor?
I guess what I meant to say was that the power going in is OK since the light works. The switches are notorious for failing.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I guess what I meant to say was that the power going in is OK since the light works. The switches are notorious for failing.


I think my switches failed. Toward the end of last season, I had intermittent failures and successes raising and lowering the jack. The light hasnít worked for years. I bought new switches for both. Is it just a simple deinstall the old/reinstall the new - or is there any specific procedure I need to follow? Also assuming itís just solder to connect, yes?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,237
Usually itís push on connectors, blade type on the switch, female on the wiring. Get good pictures before you take it apart, make a sketch, and label the wires carefully before you proceed. Then be sure you have disconnected power from the Jack by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery negative wire first.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Usually itís push on connectors, blade type on the switch, female on the wiring. Get good pictures before you take it apart, make a sketch, and label the wires carefully before you proceed. Then be sure you have disconnected power from the Jack by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery negative wire first.


Thanks. Yes, the switches I bought (different part numbers based on the ownerís manual) are blades and the batteries are out now for the winter so I was planning on replacing them before my first trip in the spring (before installing the batts). So the blades donít pop in to a socket then I assume if I need to track the wires carefully.

Thanks for the help!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
Anyone know where I can download the manual for the Atwood 3000
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,097
Is this it? https://assets.rigidhitch.com/hitch_...powerjacks.pdf

I googled Atwood 3000 power jack user manual and got that link
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,617
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I think my switches failed. Toward the end of last season, I had intermittent failures and successes raising and lowering the jack.
Same here this season. I had to crank it a couple of times, then later it worked. I plan on ordering the switch and replacing it before next season. I'm just too busy skiing right now.....
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,617
Images: 21
BTW, My jack is a Barker.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Is this it? https://assets.rigidhitch.com/hitch_...powerjacks.pdf

I googled Atwood 3000 power jack user manual and got that link


Thanks. Much appreciated.
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,237
Power jack

Yes, the wires have individual connectors, so a good picture and diagram is essential to success.

The switch contacts are small, and quickly switching direction on the jack tends to arc the contacts and make them go bad. Itís best to wait a second or two for the motor to stop if changing directions. Makes the switch last a bit longer.

I plan to rip out the switch and substitute a set of sturdy relays controlled by a switch. The relays have much better contacts and higher current rating. Best part is they plug into a socket. If I get real silly Iíll add a wireless remote control to the mix. Yep, still the Overkill Engineering department around here.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
Cispook's Avatar

 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yes, the wires have individual connectors, so a good picture and diagram is essential to success.

The switch contacts are small, and quickly switching direction on the jack tends to arc the contacts and make them go bad. Itís best to wait a second or two for the motor to stop if changing directions. Makes the switch last a bit longer.

I plan to rip out the switch and substitute a set of sturdy relays controlled by a switch. The relays have much better contacts and higher current rating. Best part is they plug into a socket. If I get real silly Iíll add a wireless remote control to the mix. Yep, still the Overkill Engineering department around here.


🤣
__________________

Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Jack needs shore power? cp1977 Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 10 06-28-2018 06:36 PM
Power jack getting power. OffTheCouch Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 11 01-01-2016 11:39 AM
To Jack or not to jack? Zstream Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 7 12-17-2009 11:09 AM
Manual Jack Broken - Best Elec. Jack? montanaandy Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 9 07-10-2003 06:33 AM
Jack Plates Jack Plates Inland RV Center, In Our Community 4 03-19-2003 03:34 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×