Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
2006 28' Safari S/O
Lovettsville , Virginia
Pillo Leveler

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this product: RV Pillo Leveler by FCBW

RV Pillo Leveler - Tandem Wheel [1862] - $295.00 : RVPillo.com

I don't know if this is a new product or not.
In theory, it sounds good. But after your trailer is leveled, does is "shake" with your stabilizers in place?
Thanks for your input.
Victor
76 Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hmmm...interesting idea, but expensive. I use blocks of wood. Yes, I'm cheap.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
I have to agree with Steve. For $295 plus shipping you can buy a lot of 2x6 lumber. We use the levelers you can buy at Walmart. They are vinyl and can also be used to put under the jack stand and the stablizers. You get 8-10 for about $34.00.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Since the air is more or less further compressible in that pillow device, I have to think it'd shake - probably more than when for example you have all wheels on the ground and the stabilizer jacks not down ...

And anyway, yup, I'm cheap about some things and lumber is cheap.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Looks like the system might be more trouble (and certainly more expense) than it's worth. Yes, the "logo-style" blocks are low-tech, but they work just as well, they are inexpensive, and the can be used for multiple purposes as Bob points out.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We picked one up late this summer, and have used it once, so far.

Yeah, it's expensive...but I like 'new toys', and the convenience of being able to do a 'quick level' when arriving at camp is great!

The RV Pillo is well constructed, with a multi-ply material to protect it from damage...they claim you can use it on a gravel surface without any worry...guess I'd check for any sharp rocks first!

To use it, we backed normally into our spot...I then layed the Rv Pillo alongside the 'low' side of the trailer, just outboard of the wheels...I then pulled forward just enough to clear the Pillo, then slid it inboard to the area just vacated by the wheels...then I backed up again to center the wheels on the Pillo.

The inflation process only takes a few minutes, depending on what size of compressor you have...I just watched my trailer level gauge till we were 'level' and that was it!

I also bought RV Pillo's brake 'block' that you place between the wheels before inflating...It becomes wedged between the wheels to make an effective parking brake when the Pillo is inflated...when you let the air out of the Pillo, the brake 'block' becomes dislodged without any real effort.

I ran down the stabilizers and leveled for-aft with the tongue jack to complete our set-up...about ten minutes...really neat!

They claim you can raise up to about 8 inches...we only needed about 2 inches for a level position...I didn't need to add any air over the 5 days we were using the Pillo.

I didn't detect any 'movement' on the Pillo with the stabilizers down...the RV Pillo becomes quite 'firm' with the air that's needed to raise the axles, so there's really no 'flex' in the pillo itself.

I keep the RV Pillo and my air compressor in one of those plastic tubs with a lid to easily cart it along...I already had been packing our air compressor for other tasks at camp, so that wasn't an additional item to purchase.

Long term, multi-use will tell the tale as to how it will perform over time...for now I'm really pleased with how easy it is to do our side-to-side leveling...no more moving the trailer back and forth multiple times to get the correct number of 'Lego blocks' under the wheels!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Looks to me like it would tend to roll down the hill like a big sack of air with a trailer sitting on it, if you inflated it on much of an incline.

I agree with those above, 2x6 lumber is cheap and proven.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I just saw an add for those a few days ago and was wandering how well they would work.Looked like a neat idea, however I fear I am stuck with the scrap 2x6 method as well.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I would be concerned that if you leveled the trailer side to side on the pillow and then put the stabilizers down, that if the pillow deflates for any reason (low leak, catastrophic failure, or even sabotage), that the stabilizers or frame or both might end up bent because the stabilizers are not meant to hold up the full weight of the trailer and because the frame was not meant to be supported from the corners. Maybe everything would be OK, but I could never trust this device even though it seems like a slick idea.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote