Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
New Atwood power jack stopped working

I hope I am asking this question in the right place. We have a 2016 25' FC, and just spent our 6th night in it. Yesterday when we pulled in, the power jack quit working while we were unhitching. It was around the time that I made a quick change between extend and return because I wanted to take the weight off the wood underneath to reposition it. I suspect either the fuse, switch or motor, but I can't seem to find a fuse, and I don't have some of my tools with me, like my meter (newbie mistake).

It appears to be wired directly to the battery, but can anyone explain where to find the fuse? Any other ideas?

I was able to manually operate the jack, but clearly need to get one of the manual hand cranks to make that job easier. I will be calling Atwood today about how to get one of those. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
It is a glass fuse in an inline holder in the wire connecting the jack to the batteries. On mine it is by the frame just outside the battery box. It is a 30A slow blow - not the easiest to find.

Does the light work? If it does it isn't the fuse

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our 2015 FC 25FB has a barker tongue jack. It has an in-line glass automobile fuse. I am not familiar with the Atwood brand jack, but I'm sure that it has a fuse somewhere. As Keith said, if the light works, it's not the fuse.

There should be a manual crank function on the tongue jack for emergencies. Go on-line for instructions for the Atwood tongue jack.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks. I found the fuse, now that I can see in the daylight. It isn't that, and the light does work. So I think that leaves the switch and/or motor, but I don't have a meter to check if power is making it to the motor. Perhaps I can find someone to borrow one from.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Southlake , Texas
Mine went out, too

Mine went out two weeks ago, but only in one direction. Called the company and they sent out a new switch free of charge. No questions asked, so I'm guessing this is a known issue.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Check the grounding of the motor also.
Check tighten the mounting screws to ensure a good ground.
If the ground is marginal, the low amperage light may work but not a higher loading jackmotor.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
I had the same problem on mine. Intermittent total failure. After many months and a new motor the same problem happened at my house giving me more time and tools to trouble shoot. Found that the fuse was good but there was no power on the motor end line. It turned out to be a crack in the wire insulation just above the inline fuse allowing moisture in and coroding the load side of the inline fuse housing. The entire housing was replaced and no other issues. I carry a spare fuse and housing.

John
Old 12-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
My stopped working intermittently (2015 FC). One of the wires had burned up at the connection point to the switch. They sent me a new one on short order.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
Check the grounding in the head of the unit. My brother just replaced his a few months ago with an Atwood, and when it came out of the box the grounding wire wasn't properly connected inside the head of the unit. Took 2 min to fix, and its worked great since.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Sea Level, also having a 2016 what procedure did you use to manually raise/lower your Atwood power jack. I need to know in case mine stops. Thanks!
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
I've had failures of my power jack. The switches would click, but not raise the jack. A 5/8 socket & 3/8 rachet wrench enabled me to run the jack's ram up or down to level out the trailer.

Later, the ram & switches seemed to work better after being sprayed with thin lubricating oil. I think infrequent use let moisture & rust build up. Now, after several months, jack has worked normally.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Sea Level, also having a 2016 what procedure did you use to manually raise/lower your Atwood power jack. I need to know in case mine stops. Thanks!
Hi Joe,

I have the manual hand crank on order from Amazon now, but since I didn't have that yet, I used the drill attachment that came with my trailer. There is a round opening in the front where the attachment slides in, and you just turn clockwise to go up, and counter-clockwise to go down. My drill wasn't strong enough to do it, so I had to use a wrench instead - which is why I ordered the other tool for the future. I figured at $15 it was well worth it.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Our 2015 had the same issue. If you open where the bubble level is you will find the manual wrench attachment point. All we had to do was move the wrench back and forth a little to make the unit work again. When we took AS to dealer winterization we also had a small punch list for them to look at. The jack issue was a known issue with the switch. They replaced the switch (and the motor just in case) and all is good now.

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airstream.nerds.7
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
Our 2015 had the same issue. If you open where the bubble level is you will find the manual wrench attachment point. All we had to do was move the wrench back and forth a little to make the unit work again. When we took AS to dealer winterization we also had a small punch list for them to look at. The jack issue was a known issue with the switch. They replaced the switch (and the motor just in case) and all is good now.
So in order to get wrench point just pry the bubble level free with a screw driver is that correct?

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote