Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
New 27 Leveling

My recently ordered 27 will be arriving in a week or so. This forum has been very helpful. Another question...how does one tell if the trailer is level when setting up camp? Is there a gage on the unit? Do I get a little bubble level?
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
On the level.

Hi, there are many ways to set or check the level of your trailer. I use a small carpenter's level. I put it on the front frame to check for front to rear level and I put it on my rear bumper to check side to side level.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
I was told that you cant level side to side, only front to back. T
his didnt make sense to me, but I really didnt know. I have a 27 ft with 4 adjustable jacks. Im interested in the informed answer. Thanks
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabud View Post
My recently ordered 27 will be arriving in a week or so. This forum has been very helpful. Another question...how does one tell if the trailer is level when setting up camp? Is there a gage on the unit? Do I get a little bubble level?
The trailer actually being level, is secondary.

The primary thing that MUST be level, is the freezer plate of the reefer. The warmer the ambient temperature, the more critical that becomes.

You can mount a "T" type level on the A-frame.

Then, using a round bubble level, placed on the reefer freezer plate, level the trailer so that the bubble is dead center.

Then, change the adjustment of the level you installed on the A-frame, to show that the trailer reefer is level.

In the future then, you can level the reefer from outside, which again is far more critical than the levelness of the trailer.

You more than likely will find that there is not much of a difference between those 2 readings, but your attention should always be on the reefer proper operation.

If the trailer is a little off level, that hurts nothing. But, if the reefer is off more than 1/2 bubble when parked, you take the risk of it vapor locking.

If the trailer/reefer is in motion, then the levelness is not an issue.

However, if you stop for a meal or go shopping, and will be gone more than about one hour, then from the outside level, you can park as needed to assure that the reefer is level, or very close to it. Or, turn the reefer thermostat down.

The warmer/hotter the ambient temperature is, the more critical the levelness of the reefer freezer plate becomes.

Now you know why many owners have a level on the A-frame, and it's true purpose.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
his didnt make sense to me, but I really didnt know. I have a 27 ft with 4 adjustable jacks. Im interested in the informed answer. Thanks
You can level side to side, by placing a 1 x 6 or a 2 x 6 under one or more tires.

The adjustable jacks, are not for leveling. If you try that, you will more than likely bend and/or break them.

The adjustable jacks are "stabilizing" jacks only.

Andy
Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, the informed answer is, that you don't have four adjustable jacks; You have four stabilizers and side to side adjustments are to be made with blocks of wood or plastic leveling blocks Etc. Since I usually park in full hook-up campsights, I never make side to side adjustments. Most are fairly level and my tongue jack makes the front to back level for me. That's been close enough for me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Thanks ya'll answers my question. So, in essence, its all about the refeer and if we can walk sideways and the refeer is a cooler were good, right? Since I think my reefer is dead...now that I burped, changed fuses, crossed fingers...it still not cooling. Its sideways and a cooler for now Oh well.........
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks ya'll answers my question. So, in essence, its all about the refeer and if we can walk sideways and the refeer is a cooler were good, right? Since I think my reefer is dead...now that I burped, changed fuses, crossed fingers...it still not cooling. Its sideways and a cooler for now Oh well.........
Is it dead on LPG or electric, or.............both?

Andy
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabud View Post
I got a little bubble level with the trailer, but I think it was in the package of stuff from the dealer. Go look at Trailer Level, EZ Level, Super Level, Stick-On Levels - Camping World . There a lot of examples.

As far as getting level left to right, I use Tri Lynx Corporation Lynx Levelers .

I just back up onto them.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have whats called a LEVEL MASTER. It is about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide and a 1/2 deep. It is screwed to the front of the AS below the front window.
Level Master has a website and you may order direct from the company.
The leveling as some said is done by use of 2x6 or 2x8 board's cut for that purpose. I also have a set of Plastic block like lego's that can be used.The block are placed where needed and the AS backed or pulled up on them one side or the other.
I originally used a two levels a 6ft and a 2 ft but since the LEVEL MASTER I no longer have to carry them.
You can buy direct from The Co at about half what the RV dealers want.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote