Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet Need help with mechanical jack

Need help with mechanical jack!!! I need to bring my baby home.
When I bought my 1974 Sovereign several years ago, it was equipped with a mechanical jack...My husband and I research the forums for assistance and this seemed to help. I am wondering if we just need to buy a new jack as everything that we have tried thusfar has not worked...As a result, we can not move my Airstream even if we use a manual jack as the hitch would still have the 'frozen' jack to tear up the asphalt...I need help.....It is going to rain yet again this week, thus putting off our move until G-d knows when...My husband re- wired everything--but my jack will not do anything...I hate the thought of having to buy a new Jack at today's prices....Ugghhhhh!!!! P.S. My brother and his two children just moved in with us so I a hopig that they will assist in making my Airstream into a place that we can all go on a trip together and share our lives...But, in reality, I know that this will never happen--however, I DO need your help in getting our beauty home...I will be posting pics so please assist me in getting her home....unfortunately my husband does not share my enthusiasuem for my Airstream.....But, in essence, I told my husband recently that I could reside in my Airstream on a small piece of land and live comfortable all by myself....He does not seem to understand.....to all of us Airstream enthusiasts, only we can understand how and why this is the decandence of life.....I was never exposed to the electrical, plumbling, nor the means in to which to renovate our little home...Any advice or information would be greatly appreaciated..
Jackie
imeynstein64@gmail.com
Old 11-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like you may need to buy a new jack. You could always just remove it for the trip home. It is held in place with 3 bolts and should come off easily.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Are you referring to an electric or manual jack? You mention mechanical, but then refer to rewiring. If it is an electric jack that won't raise/lower, then you may be able to manually operate it, if you have the crank handle from the mfgr.

If it's a manual jack that's frozen, you're best best it to jack the tongue up with a floor/bottle jack, place some dunnage under the tongue, then replace the manual jack with a type of your desire.

Some do not come out easily and may require a bit of persuasion.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
If it is an electric jack you can connect the 2 wires that come off the jack head to a battery via jumper cables( or easier yet use a 12v jump box).hooked up the jack will move ,up or down does'nt matter. If it moves the wrong way reverse the way the wires are hooked up. If after applying 12v it still does not move in either direction you can still move it manually. Take the top cover off the jack head, and move the gears inside with a small prybar or screw driver. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what works...My husband agreed that we just probably need to buy a new electric jack as he said he has tried 'everything' to get the old jack to work...Me, I just want to get my Airstream home soooooonnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!