Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Need electric jack help....stuck.

please advise.....2005 28' safari electric jack is stuck at top height......will not retract. is there a special tool available to lower the jack ? (i bought the camper used and have not found anything onboard that looks like it would work).
thank you........yes i am scared the camper will suddenly fall
__________________

__________________
ohwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
I doubt that the trailer will fall. What is the name and model of your jack? There should be a cap on the top that you pry off and you will see the top of the shaft to determine the wrench needed to manually lower the jack.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwally View Post
please advise.....2005 28' safari electric jack is stuck at top height......will not retract. is there a special tool available to lower the jack ? (i bought the camper used and have not found anything onboard that looks like it would work).
thank you........yes i am scared the camper will suddenly fall
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
A Crank Handle should be in your trailer somewhere. If it is stuck fully extended then the jack needs to be re-synced. Instructions are on the manufactures web site. It may also be jammed by a lateral load.
Can you get the weight of it?
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
clancy_boy's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,780
Images: 8
This model has a cap with a bubble level on it - pry that off - it should pop off with little problem. Under the cap is a hex nut that is on the shaft drive to the jack. There should be a tool that has a small hex nut drive on one end - it is very easy to overlook, mine is silver. If you do not have the tool or just want to get this over with, use an appropriate sized deep socket and ratchet on the nut to lower the jack. I forget which direction to turn to lower but if you ar eall the way up it probably will only turn one way. DO NOT APPLY to much torque - the gears are pop metal if you are lucky and probably plastic if you ar not. Once at the maximum height, sometimes they stick at the end of their maximum extension.

Good Luck, BTW - it will not tip over but it is hard on the frame and axles to be out of level for an extended period of time.

Mike
__________________
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
2003 22' INTERNATIONAL CCD
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Goal15's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,673
Images: 1
While we are talking about electric jacks . . . does the electric jack run only off the AS batteries, or if the 7 pin is connected to TV will it run off TV power? Just wondered what happens if AS batteries were to go dead in storage for whatever reason.
__________________
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
clancy_boy's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,780
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
While we are talking about electric jacks . . . does the electric jack run only off the AS batteries, or if the 7 pin is connected to TV will it run off TV power? Just wondered what happens if AS batteries were to go dead in storage for whatever reason.
They are typically directly connected to the on board 12V battery. That said, there is a power boost in mine when connected to the tow vehicle. Remember, the ground to the 12V circuit from the truck is through the physical connection of the TV to the AS at the hitch. Just using the 7 pin plug to get "power" when the AS battery is dead will not work unless you are hooked up to tow or you use a ground jumper between the two. Ask me how I know this....
__________________
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
2003 22' INTERNATIONAL CCD
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
I'm guessing that since your trailer is the same year as mine, it will be equipped with a "Barker Superjack."

If so, that model does not have the removeable level bubble that newer models have.

Instead, to be able t crank the jack manually, you need to remove the powerhead from the jack - there are two allen head set screws. Very easy to remove.

You can then see the top of the jack screw. Mine does not have a hex head drive, but has a hole in the centre and a cross-ways slot cut in the screw.

You should have an emergency crank handle that has a pin across the end of the shaft of the crank that will engage the slot and allow you to operate the jack.

If you don't have the crank, it should be easy to fabricate something - I made an extra one that will fit in the 18v cordless drill that I use for my Hensley and for my stabilizers.

Incidentally, I had a similar problem with my jack last time I brought our trailer home from a trip. (reported in another thread) Mine would not extend so I could not release the trailer from the truck.

I initially suspected either a blown fuse or a limit switch problem, but it turned out to be a very weak connection in the 12v feed wire.

I could still get a 12v reading with a meter but the connection was badly corroded and would not pass enough current to operate the jack - an easy fix once I found the problem!

Good luck ............. Brian.



PS - as someone else mentioned, if you remove the powerhead to manually crank the jack, then once you get the jack working, you must re-synch the powerhead with the jack screw before refitting the power head or your limit switches will be all out of whack!

It is actually ver easy to do - if you don't have your jack manual, you can find a copy on line,

Barker_Home

If for some reason you cannot find it, I can provide detail.








.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Goal15's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,673
Images: 1
So what you are saying is, before I try this, make sure i've got the trailer hitch connected to the truck . . . I hope to never have to depend on TV battery to make the jack work, but when I hear the electric jack winding away with its little motor it doesn't inspire great confidence in lifting the tongue weight of the AS . . .
__________________
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
They are typically directly connected to the on board 12V battery. That said, there is a power boost in mine when connected to the tow vehicle. Remember, the ground to the 12V circuit from the truck is through the physical connection of the TV to the AS at the hitch. Just using the 7 pin plug to get "power" when the AS battery is dead will not work unless you are hooked up to tow or you use a ground jumper between the two. Ask me how I know this....
I didn't realize that, isn't the white wire used in teh seven pic connector a ground wire?

Brian.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
So what you are saying is, before I try this, make sure i've got the trailer hitch connected to the truck . . . I hope to never have to depend on TV battery to make the jack work, but when I hear the electric jack winding away with its little motor it doesn't inspire great confidence in lifting the tongue weight of the AS . . .
The jack, if wired as mine is, will operate just off the trailer batteries with no problem.

Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
need electric jack help...

thank you all so much for the responses and instructions. this site is the best...

long story but we keep the camper 200 miles from home (near grandchildren) and had to leave it jacked up in our storage facility until the next trip in 2 weeks. the motor runs but nothing moves...however, i will try to hand crank as suggested and hope for the best.

another story.....late sunday night my wife noticed a 'drip' coming from the overhead air conditioner (never happened before)....panic time..after removing the interior air cond. cover water poured down on top of me ! to cut a long story short i determined that the drain line from the a/c was clogged and the water backed up. miracle of miracles at 11 pm on a sunday night at the campground my neighbor camper suggested blowing out the line with his air compressor........perfect.....whatever was clogged unclogged and all ended well. (next day electric jack got stuck).
__________________
ohwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwally View Post
thank you all so much for the responses and instructions. this site is the best...

long story but we keep the camper 200 miles from home (near grandchildren) and had to leave it jacked up in our storage facility until the next trip in 2 weeks. the motor runs but nothing moves...however, i will try to hand crank as suggested and hope for the best.

another story.....late sunday night my wife noticed a 'drip' coming from the overhead air conditioner (never happened before)....panic time..after removing the interior air cond. cover water poured down on top of me ! to cut a long story short i determined that the drain line from the a/c was clogged and the water backed up. miracle of miracles at 11 pm on a sunday night at the campground my neighbor camper suggested blowing out the line with his air compressor........perfect.....whatever was clogged unclogged and all ended well. (next day electric jack got stuck).

I didn't realize that your jack motor would still run. Sounds to me like maybe a stripped gear or perhaps a pin has sheared. I would think that most likely you should still be able to manually crank it.

This link should take you to a schematic of the guts of the jack if it is the same as mine (2005 Classic 30 AS).

http://www.barkermfg.com/superjackpg4.pdf

Great tip about blowing dirt from the air conditioner drain hose - mine seems to come out in the trailer wheel well - is that where you blew the hose from?


Brian.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
altamont's Avatar
 
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 321
We went through 2 Barker units, both replaced under warranty. The motor would run, but nothing happened. The fix was to replace the motor "head" and re-synch. Dealer didn't know how to re-synch so I showed them how . I was using the jack too harshly and jacking up the back of the truck when attached to the trailer to make the equalizer hitch easy to hook up (purchasing dealer taught me this dumb trick!). Now know how to do it without putting stress on jack.
__________________
2007 Safari FB SE LS
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab
WBCCI 1538

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
We went through 2 Barker units, both replaced under warranty. The motor would run, but nothing happened. The fix was to replace the motor "head" and re-synch. Dealer didn't know how to re-synch so I showed them how . I was using the jack too harshly and jacking up the back of the truck when attached to the trailer to make the equalizer hitch easy to hook up (purchasing dealer taught me this dumb trick!). Now know how to do it without putting stress on jack.
Uh-oh, I do that too (ie lift the truck somewhat with the jack to make hookup easier) I wonder if that means I am predisposed for jack failure!

The jack motor never sounds to be working hard, and since the jack is rated at 3500#, it never occurred to me that this might not be a wise thing to do, but now I'm wondering!

Brian.
__________________

__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Tongue Jack electrical problem Wingeezer Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 15 10-12-2012 11:08 PM
OK to use a jack instead of blocks to level? KYAirstream Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 27 09-18-2012 07:42 AM
Jack & Lug nut wrench Tim_S Tires 41 10-31-2011 09:27 AM
what kind of electric jack is this? Becky B. Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 11 04-13-2011 05:06 PM
New Electric Service - YAY!!! or Life is Better When Everything WORKS!!! bugnot1 Winter Living 6 01-23-2011 11:32 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.