Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
My Crank Doesn't Have Enough Bite!

On my last few outings, I've noticed that my leveling jack crank doesn't seem to want to catch the tabs on the threaded rods. The crank is what came new with the trailer, and is only 8 years old. Neither the crank or the tabs look worn. I can't understand why there is no bite to crank the jacks up or down. Is there a solution? Can an insert be installed so the crank can grab better? Yeh, I know about using an electric drill with a socket, but that's something else to have to carry. Can I use what I have?

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
***CAUTION*** with the terminology here. You said leveling jacks and that will raise all sorts of red flags. If they are the jacks located on each side at the rear they are STABILIZING jacks. These trailers are best leveled by driving them up on wooden planks or other such device for that purpose. That will level the trailer side to side and your front tongue jack is to level it front / rear. Ours has a sprit level on the front bulkhead ( below the window frame) easily observed as you operate the power jack up / down to unhitch and level front to rear. Then and only then the stabilizer jacks are used to stabilize the body from bouncing around as you move about inside the trailer. Pardon the lengthy posting. You probably knew all this but just in case you have been misled I hope to save you costly troubles down the road.

Sorry I can't help with the problem you posted.
See ya on the road sometime

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OOOOOpppppssss. Sorry, I meant the jacks located at the rear AND front on either side.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Bob is correct. You see other types of trailers with scissor jacks or screw-up jacks which are used on the frame to level those types of trailers. Do not do that on an Airstream. People buy Lynx Levelers or other devices, place them on the low side of the trailer and drive up on them to level the trailer side to side. I have used the same 2"X8" treated boards for over five years now and I just bought another six ft. plank to cut new levels. Every once in awhile I need more than one board so I cut them 15" for the lower board and 12" for the upper board. I place a bevel on each end but it is not necessary.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote