Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Maximum leveling needed

Hi everyone,

The street where I park the AS is quite convex. In order to get things relatively level (for the fridge, etc) I need about 4.5" of leveling which I accomplish using Anderson wedges and a 1" board underneath them. I use both wedges on the same side to support both axles of the trailer. However, this approach is a pain as it is subject to a lot of trial/error (getting high but not too high on the Andersons, the Anderson's slipping on the board, etc).

So, I am looking for a better solution. Perfect would be:
  • Strong but still low-weight
  • Step-based so that I can gauge when to stop pulling the trailer up the ramp (this is in contrast to the Anderson's continuous stepping)
  • Safe for the trailer
I've found one such option, from Milenco called the Trident Level:

The top position would likely work well for me. But it would mean that the rear tire would be significantly below the front wheel on the curb side. I don't think this is an issue but thought I'd ask the Oracle of Airforums - any reason not to try this?

-Adam

afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
If you had two, with the high sides positioned back to back, you could keep pulling until the front wheel was on the front rampant the rear wheel on the rear ramp. When you wish to move off the ramps you could go forward instead of backing down the single ramp.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
4.5" of leveling

Purchase 3 2"x8"x8'. Stack them and you have your 4.5" lift. Cut one end at a taper leaving the stacked boards long enough to support both wheels. Either pull up on them or back up on to them and problem solved. Heavy? Yes, but it is at your home and when you leave for a trip just put them beside the house/building. Stable, cheap and will last a long time. You might get by with 2"x6" boards for lighter weight but the wider boards will be more stable when pulling on to them. Have at it!!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Leveling

One additional thought. For ease of moving the boards around you could leave them as individual pieces. Just restack when needed. I would use some "Liquid Nail" to glue them together in the interest of being more stable.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post
I use both wedges on the same side to support both axles of the trailer. However, this approach is a pain as it is subject to a lot of trial/error (getting high but not too high on the Andersons, the Anderson's slipping on the board, etc).
Curious that this is such a pain for you. In most every situation, I can usually nail level with my Andersons in a couple goes.

One thing that really helps with precision in getting the right lift is utilizing low range on my tow vehicle so there is no surging or slack. Just controlled inching. Possible you don't have low range on your vehicle but if you do, give it a shot.

In regards to the slipping, there is such things as adhesive sandpaper or anti-slip tape that could completely eliminate the issue.

Perhaps with those things, you can make what you have more livable?
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Andersons

In the grand scheme of things, the Anderson's aren't a big challenge. I'm just trying to optimize things so that everything is super simple. I do use anti-slip tape on the wedges and the board underneath but over time it gets ground down and with rain, it is still plenty slippery.

BUT - the big thing here is using low to pull forward because yes, I never feel like I have the throttle control necessary to pull forward very small amounts - good call. I'll try this out.

Adam

afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote