Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Max Leveling Height

Hi all,

I am preparing to de-winterized the 25' FC (yah hoo!) and have a question. The street adjacent to my house has a pretty good slope (crown) and to get a good side-to-side level it would require about a 6" lift on the curb side. This would only be for a few days at a time at most. Just curious if this out of the ordinary, if there are other things to consider (tire damage, leveler stability etc), or if I'm jusy being too paranoid about it. I would likely build a ramp up out of 2x10's for use when I have the trailer at home.

Any input is appreciated.

Ron

Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Your tires don't know what's beneath them and the refrigerator doesn't care how it got level as long as it is (assuming you are running it pre-trip) so I don't see an issue. No need for the stabilizers at home - they just enhance comfort, aren't required otherwise.

Chock it well on the street side.

Mike

Old 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The stabilizing jacks should NOT be used to level the trailer. If you raise the trailer with these jacks, the body will become distorted. Causing problems with the door and perhaps windows along with other items, like popping rivets.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Th OP is planning to make a ramp from 2x10's. I believe his stabilizer concern was that he couldn't use them or that they would be marginal with the trailer up 6" on one side.

MH
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Mike,
Thanks for the input. For this weekend I ended up putting the curbside up on a stack of the plastic leveling blocks. Weather did not cooperate so I was only able to get the window seals treated and the propane fired up. I'll be building a ramp for use when at home to get to the full height needed to be level.

TG, never hurts to point out that the stabilizer jacks are not for leveling. As Mike mentioned I am more concerned about the stabilzer stability when up so high. For the 3 or so inches that I have the trailer at now I needed two 2x blocks plus one of the plastic blocks under the stabilizer jacks on the curbside to get a good placement. While the stabilizers aren't really needed that extra stability makes moving around in the trailer more comfortable.

Now, if the weather would cooperate I will get the rest of the preparations done to get ready for our first trip. Alas, looks like another rainy day here in Seattle...

Ron
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Cool beans! My sovereign spent all last summer on plastic leveling blocks -- the employee RV sites at Yellowstone are anything but level... No problems at all.

I have the opposite weather problem. We are getting ready to head west with all that entails and it is 80 outside. Sweaty work awaits.

MH