Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Lifting the trailer

I have read numerous threads about upgrading from 15' to 16' tires, the majority being positive.

I haven't read anything about having to lift your trailer. I'm not sure if that is something I would need to do. I just purchased a 30' FC and I'm considering upgrading the tries almost immediately.

I also read where someone kept the 15' and just upgraded the tires to Michelin. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm interested to hear about others who have kept their 15' and they chose to upgrade the tires.
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsjms7 View Post
I have read numerous threads about upgrading from 15' to 16' tires, the majority being positive.

I haven't read anything about having to lift your trailer. I'm not sure if that is something I would need to do. I just purchased a 30' FC and I'm considering upgrading the tries almost immediately.

I also read where someone kept the 15' and just upgraded the tires to Michelin. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm interested to hear about others who have kept their 15' and they chose to upgrade the tires.
The 30fc has dexter #11 axles and they make a lift kit that is about a 3” lift. Search here for a recent thread and YouTube for an informative but rather dangerous how-to. I will be lifting mine this weekend.

Good luck!
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I stayed with 15” rims on our 2005 Safari bunkhouse, opting for the Michelin Defender LTX. The GVWR is 8400lbs on the trailer, I’d have to be within a couple hundred pounds of that to overload the tires. Our “ready for three weeks on the road” weight about 7400 lbs. (1840-ish lbs/tire). Max load for the tires is 2071 lbs after derating them for trailer use.

I did take the trailer through the Escapees Smart Weigh program last year, and can recommend it or something similar to you. Having individual tire loads for both truck and trailer not only helped me dial in a new hitch, but also gave me the data needed to be comfortable with my tire choice.

On the lift kit—it’s on my list, too. I’ve got Henschen axles, and the Dexter kit doesn’t work. It seems easy enough to make a kit, but I’ll admit to preferring an off the shelf option. It’s not a priority now, but will be cool when it happens. Post pics of your trailer after the changes!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
The 30fc has dexter #11 axles and they make a lift kit that is about a 3” lift. Search here for a recent thread and YouTube for an informative but rather dangerous how-to. I will be lifting mine this weekend.

Good luck!
What "safe" method do you suggest for installing a lift?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7our View Post
What "safe" method do you suggest for installing a lift?
Well, others will know more than I on a safe method, but the video of the guy lifting his 30' FC - just a pair of jackstands and nothing else to catch the trailer should a stand fall, thats the dangerous part. And he even mentions a former neighbor who's Mercedes came off the jack and onto the poor guy's arms in the video. Otherwise a fantastic how-to though!

As for me, I plan to do one axle at a time, and keep the wheels on the other axle.
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
ahh yes... we buy a trailer with a nice low center of gravity, that handles really well, and .......
never mind

Bob
Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
ahh yes... we buy a trailer with a nice low center of gravity, that handles really well, and .......
never mind

Bob
...then, as many others have noted, it no longer drags on moderate driveway slopes, has less likelihood of tearing off the dangly darn low-hanging drain plumbing, and STILL handles really well. A few inches taller does not seem to cause a perceptible change in handling...its all about improvements, as Wally noted.

I suspect If I loaded a raised AS with several crap-tons of massive stuff to full gross, all in the upper cabinets, it might be an issue, but I would hope our raised Airstreamer friends have better sense than that.

Now, if you jacked it up to the height I see on some SOB toy haulers and fifth wheel monster mansions on 6 wheels behind an F-150 around here, swaying as they go down the highway, bouncing all over the place, yes, you have an absolute point! I run away from those folks as quickly as I can, even when driving the car...not interested in participating in their fate!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I'm at 4000 miles this trip with a lifted 30', no difference in towing other no dragon arse.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
...then, as many others have noted, it no longer drags on moderate driveway slopes, has less likelihood of tearing off the dangly darn low-hanging drain plumbing, and STILL handles really well. A few inches taller does not seem to cause a perceptible change in handling...its all about improvements, as Wally noted.

I suspect If I loaded a raised AS with several crap-tons of massive stuff to full gross, all in the upper cabinets, it might be an issue, but I would hope our raised Airstreamer friends have better sense than that.

Now, if you jacked it up to the height I see on some SOB toy haulers and fifth wheel monster mansions on 6 wheels behind an F-150 around here, swaying as they go down the highway, bouncing all over the place, yes, you have an absolute point! I run away from those folks as quickly as I can, even when driving the car...not interested in participating in their fate!
Modifying the factory axles by adding a lift kit will void the warranty on any AS, so some might have to wait until the warranty is done.

And no, rwsjms you do not need to raise the AS when upgrading to 16" wheels, they clear just fine!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #10

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Lifting the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Modifying the factory axles by adding a lift kit will void the warranty on any AS, so some might have to wait until the warranty is done.

And no, rwsjms you do not need to raise the AS when upgrading to 16" wheels, they clear just fine!

Not true! No effect on warranty.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
We replaced our GYM tires with Michelin 235/75R15 XL five or six year ago and have had no trouble. Its time to replace tires again , the model we have has been replaced with new model the Defender LTX load range 109. My old ones are 108 so that is an upgrade. They also have a max tire pressure of 50 psi as versus to LT 16" tires of 80 psi making for a softer ride for the Airstream. The axles can be replaced with a different torsion arm angle. Our trailer is at Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations having new axles installed, 32 degree axles should raise trailer about one and a half inches. Hope this helps you and congratulations on your new trailer.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I upsized the tires on my 15" wheels AND added a dexter lift kit to my 27FB.

I kept the 15" wheels and went from 225/75/15 to 235/75/15s. This was when I first acquired the trailer which needed new tires immediately. The 235/75/15s are .6" taller in diameter, lifting the trailer 3/10ths of an inch. I wanted the taller tires for more sidewall and a gentler ride. And thought that was all the lift I'd ever need.

After trying to get the trailer dialed in for my SUV (Lexus Land Cruiser), that has 33" tires, and hydraulic suspension that does not droop with load, I realized I needed a serious drop shank to get the trailer level. Instead of that, I opted to lift the trailer to have it about match the ground clearance of my tow vehicle as I knew I wanted to visit off the beaten path boon docking sites.

The lift and tires have worked incredibly well. No ill dynamics to speak of and she tows straight and true. Even in extremely high winds.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

You must have missed it.....the never mind part.

Bob
Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
We just changed out our GYM 's with GY Endurance 15 inch
Haven't taken a trip yet but will report back after a 4000 mi trip in June
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lifting the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
You must have missed it.....the never mind part.

Bob

Nah, I was just in a mood to scribble a few thoughts on the forum about what I consider to be a fun subject

Hi Bob!

Just remember, “Harassment is like camouflage, it has to be continuous to be effective!”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden

TBC

Bob
Old 03-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Thank you, I verified all this with our dealer.
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #18

Silverdale , Washington
Looking to do the same thing. Does anyone know of someone who could perform this upgrade in the Seattle area?
Haznavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #19
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
The More We Explore also lifted a 23D (CB) with homemade blocks. It gave me confidence and I did mine.

It is fairly hard to do. Bolts are very tight and new bolts torqued at 140#. Hard to do considering where they're at. I welded the horizontal nuts into the blocks since I could see not way to get a wrench on those.

Bolts are 15/16" and you will need open end and deep well socket. I bought a heavy duty impact gun that made it easy to remove bolts. I also have 3/4" drive set. I bought the #11 kit from eTrailer.

The actual gain is 2-3/4". Another factor for some of us is the 5/8" gas line is in the way and has to be rerouted. The way TMWE did the 23D the line had clearance. I would not be comfortable welding the blocks to the axles like he did.

I am happy with the result. In fact, without doing something, the trailer is too low for my stock 4x4 F250 with the longest Blue Ox shank available. I am also going to lower the truck rear by 1.375" and that will make it perfect.
WW
Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Does anyone have a photo of what the wheel area looks like with the lift?
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote