Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Question Lifting one axle tire set for zero turn?

I have no choice but to zero turn the trailer. I bought two 1500 pound wheel dollies to lift the middle axle up....but that doesn't have what it takes to lift it up.....I thought it would be enough for easy rotation.

The wheel dollies work as I was able to lift a Saturn Vue with them...so its not the dollies, just more weight than I expected.

I am not in the position to remove the tires to make the turns every time....anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Need a bit more information. What kind of trailer and how many axles is this trailer you're dealing with? Picture could also help.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Need a bit more information. What kind of trailer and how many axles is this trailer you're dealing with? Picture could also help.
Sorry, 25RBQ International Serenity.....dual axle.....its a 300 foot driveway where I turn around at the end of it......backing up is not an option and I have to manually turn it around down there once it is pulled in.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow.....but hopefully enough info to go on.

Chris
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
What are you doing to try to turn in once an axle is up on dollies? How are you lifting/pivoting the trailer/tongue?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Sounds like you need a turntable like they use for locomotives.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
What are you doing to try to turn in once an axle is up on dollies? How are you lifting/pivoting the trailer/tongue?
Using an Airtug power dolly to move it around very effectively. The issue is the inner tires "drag" as the turn is made.......while others have posted they've done this for years with no issues......I believe them, but by lifting the inner wheels, it will make the turn a LOT easier since there won't be any drag from the inner tires.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Sounds like you need a turntable like they use for locomotives.
That would be neat......and "cheap" .....LOL.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
What is the driveway surface, at the location you are trying to pivot?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Wow! That’s a tough one. Got what it’s worth, I would simply turn the trailer as required by using the Airtug. You can always move the inside tires to the outside position to balance things out.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
. . .
......backing up is not an option . . .
. . .
Chris, could you please explain why? If you can tow the trailer down the driveway, why can't it be backed down . . . somehow?

Is it possible that you have made certain assumptions -- put blinders on, in effect -- which are not 100% accurate?

Are there issues with the slope of the driveway, sharp turns, gravel/slippery surface, and so forth?

Please explain, and add photos/drawings to clarify why you could not back down the driveway . . . towing. Maybe with a different tow vehicle or commercial hauler?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If I understand....a bottle jack under the frame between the wheels will very effectively lift both wheels. The trailer weighs approximately 6000 on the wheels. So your wheel dollies might be strong enough. However the way these things are labeled you need at least a 6 ton bottle jack and bigger is better. You also need a “saddle” for the jack to keep it under the frame.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Just thinking outside the box a little. What I used to do to set caster on my race car is put 2 plastic bags on top of each other with some grease between them. Would let the tire slide and not bind up. Didn't have quite as much weight, but might be an inexpensive experiment. Not sure how smooth the driveway is. If not finished, a larger plate of some kind with a smaller plate under each wheel. Just a thought.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
What is the driveway surface, at the location you are trying to pivot?
Normal asphalt, no dirt, sand or gravel.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
How much back and forth room do you have with the tug while making the turn? Each time you go back and forth, with a right and left motion with the tug releives the sidewall pressure on the tires.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Chris, could you please explain why? If you can tow the trailer down the driveway, why can't it be backed down . . . somehow?

Is it possible that you have made certain assumptions -- put blinders on, in effect -- which are not 100% accurate?

Are there issues with the slope of the driveway, sharp turns, gravel/slippery surface, and so forth?

Please explain, and add photos/drawings to clarify why you could not back down the driveway . . . towing. Maybe with a different tow vehicle or commercial hauler?

Thanks,

Peter
Well I've looked at that closely and compared it against my skill set and even though I know I "could" do it....it is high risk and puts a LOT of strain on the reverse gear and tranny based on what needs to happen to get it backed in.

So first, the connecting road to the first image would require a 90 degree back into......easy enough....

That road shown by the first picture now slopes up and I'd say maybe 20-25 degrees before I have to turn right into the driveway.

After that turn is made, my driveway then immediately slopes down about 10 degrees.

Couple that with the gate entrances of the fence (there long before we ever bought the AS) it creates a significant blind spot for me to negotiate....even with my wife as the spotter. There is very little room for error on the reverse turn.....and even worse if I need to adjust.....notice my neighbors nice maintained lawn? ......well even if I did have to adjust, his lawn "drops off" quickly......so there is really no room to readjust as needed to fix any turn error.........this hill, even though concrete, gets TONS and I'm not kidding.....TONS of sand......which they don't street sweep (even though it's not the cities problem) until late June July, so that creates some interesting noises as sometimes the tire slips just going forward in.

Assuming all of that.......the images are 7 years old from Google, but closely match the layout of today.....we have lamp posts, various other trees we groom back, and a huge row of Arborvitae trees that line the driveway. Trying to "avoid" those so we don't scratch or damage the AS and little room for the TV to move.......

Well......I hope that clears up the why we need to continue to find a zero turn method.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	342534   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	342535  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	342536  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the details. Have you considered putting a hitch receiver on the front of your tow vehicle? Not sure if that is an option for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fron...com&gws_rd=ssl

How often do you need to do this? If frequently I would respectfully suggest that you overcome your doubts and fears, and find a way to back up/down that driveway.

You could at least start backing up the driveway, and see how it goes. Having 2 spotters with walkie-talkies would help IMO. One spotter with a constant cell phone connection would be OK. You can always stop if you don't feel comfortable.

Like many other skills in life, if you can master this simple task at your own home, you will be a better traveler for it, in my opinion.

Backing away from this challenge is an option . . . but . . .

What is your tow vehicle?

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- The term "traveler" is based on this thread by westcoastas:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...fe-187084.html

Check out the video in the first post.

Inspiring, no?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the details. Have you considered putting a hitch receiver on the front of your tow vehicle? Not sure if that is an option for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fron...com&gws_rd=ssl

How often do you need to do this? If frequently I would respectfully suggest that you overcome your doubts and fears, and find a way to back up/down that driveway.

You could at least start backing up the driveway, and see how it goes. Having 2 spotters with walkie-talkies would help IMO. One spotter with a constant cell phone connection would be OK.

Like many other skills in life, if you can master this simple task at your own home, you will be a better traveler for it, in my opinion.

Backing away from this challenge?

What is your tow vehicle?

Good luck,

Peter
The TV is a 2016 Yukon. I've researched front hitches....and it is possible for my TV but there is still the issue of a blind spot of the fence turns being so close.....there is maybe 2-3 feet on each side and not much room for adjustment going forward or backward I would gather (this is an assumption on my part).

There is no one else but me and the wife, so a 2nd isn't possible. We are weekend warriors as we just got the AS in April and we are out 2 maybe 3 weekends a month until October, so we don't do it "often".....

After this year it will make sense to figure it out, but can you imagine the BS I'd have to live with if I make a mistake and damage it in any way within the first year? An angry wife doesn't not bode well for me.......or anyone....I'm sure you'll be able to empathize with that notion.....

I am not trying to make excuses and I do take your advice to heart and in ways agree.....there are just to many moving parts and trips that I can't afford any kind of SNAFU at this or near future points in time.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Normal asphalt, no dirt, sand or gravel.
(My building contractor hat on) Eventually what you are doing will crack and tear apart the asphalt. There is very little shear resistance to asphalt and those caster wheels do not provide enough bearing surface. Usually residential asphalt paving is thin on top of a stone base. It will not stand up to the twisting you are doing.

To answer your question>
Place some blocking on top of the casters so that the height is sufficient to raise the other tires off of the ground.
Or
Maybe another pair of casters, a total of four, the type with swivel wheels.

If it were me, I would learn to back the trailer in. It can be done!
Practice! Yes you can!

At the end of my driveway there are two rock planters, 12' space between. Then 165' downhill to the back corner of my house where I have to back around to park tight to the house. At first I had to do the see-saw in/out. After many times and gaining some confidence, most of the time now I get in on the first try, even with that 34' trailer.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS2 -- There are also risks with your proposed method, but no need to belabor the point. Either way, making sure the concrete is free of sand could be important, so hiring a landscaping/paving firm with the right equipment would be important for safety IMO.

Have fun with this challenge . . . either way you win!

Happy Trails,

Peter

Edit -- Spot on, Alan!
Quote:
. . .
Practice! Yes you can!
Edit -- Thanks for the new post, kittmaster. Best wishes . . . over and out.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
(My building contractor hat on) Eventually what you are doing will crack and tear apart the asphalt. There is very little shear resistance to asphalt and those caster wheels do not provide enough bearing surface. Usually residential asphalt paving is thin on top of a stone base. It will not stand up to the twisting you are doing.

To answer your question>
Place some blocking on top of the casters so that the height is sufficient to raise the other tires off of the ground.
Or
Maybe another pair of casters, a total of four, the type with swivel wheels.

Practice! Yes you can!
These are what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They just can't get wheels off the ground......

I did raise the Airtugs ball point higher so that it took most of the weight off the front wheels..........

HMMMMMM

As I typed that....I wonder if once I have it on the Airtug I can try the dollies again now that the tug has most of the weight and it might be within the limits of the dollies to get the front wheels off the ground.

So Airtug up > casters under front wheels > lift >...turn around.....> remove dollies > Airtug down.

Prior I was trying to lift the front wheels only to see if they'd come up.....no airtug in play.

Funny how things work with others input..... LOL