Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Wow, looking at the pictures, that is quite the obstacle course you have!
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So is it already down the driveway, as in “painted into a corner?”

Correct.....hence the zero turn to get it out of there.....all the math was done before we bought and is manageable.....and we've already turned it around successfully multiple times......it's just about making it an easier process and reduce any additional wear and tear on the front axles as it turns.....no more no less.
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Wow, looking at the pictures, that is quite the obstacle course you have!

At some point we will move.......west....Arizona maybe and we will have the correct lot/driveway/property to support the AS where all of this becomes a moot point....but for now.....well....got to keep the glamping going....LOL.
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Wouldn't the drag break the tire bead?

It is something to I'll keep to try as a backup plan....

I'm not sure about the tire bead, never did anything like that. I was also thinking that if you let some of the air out and then jacked up the wheel with the dolly, maybe it wouldn't need to carry so much weight, it would just push the tire up, out of the way but still roll on the driveway.

Harbor Freight has a couple different dollies like the ones you bought. I got a set about 4 years ago to move my bass boat around in the garage. They work great. Here's a link to a newer version than the one I have (5200 lbs.).
https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-l...lly-64601.html

Here's a link to the one I have (1250 lbs.):
https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-L...lly-61917.html
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
If you can, put a hitch on the front of TV.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #46
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
This suggestion probably won’t help you with your immediate problem but for the long run... get some small traffic cones and find a large parking lot (closed down Walmart/Kmart/grocery store), and lay out a narrow course to practice backing up on.

Experience builds confidence. One trick for backing is to keep your hand controlling the steering wheel on the bottom. The trailer will turn in the direction your hand goes.

Good luck!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. .. echoing earlier comments . . .

Learn to back it down the drive.

A skill you won’t regret mastering!

Wanna bet that life will require you to have this skill farther on down the road?

“ . . . Resistance Causes Persistence . . . “

Take a giant step outside your mind . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
milton , Florida
have you thought about a storage lot, that would be a lot cheaper.

wayne
waynedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I use a Park It 360 to move a classic 30. I stop and let the motor cool down every 20 or 30 ft. I've also replaced the relays that got a little intermittent. It was purchased for a lighter previous trailer.

I also drain the domestic water. It won't tow it with water on board. Bikes, refrigerator food, clothes all those things that get unpacked anyway are removed. I make the turn till the skidding tire leans out/loads up then back up a little to relieve the tire stress. It works. There is a technique to it.

With your slope I hope you have the brake kit.

You can also water the driveway where the tires are. Its a wrecker driver trick. But don't get the power dolly wheels wet.

I haven't done it yet but I have some of the brackets, etc to mount my back up camera mount on the trailer jack to make the backing up with the Park It easier. You could also use it to do the front hitch push it back with the tow vehicle. Using the camera to back is tricky since the view is reversed when hitched up to the TV in the normal backing mode.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
I have no choice but to zero turn the trailer. I bought two 1500 pound wheel dollies to lift the middle axle up....but that doesn't have what it takes to lift it up.....I thought it would be enough for easy rotation.

The wheel dollies work as I was able to lift a Saturn Vue with them...so its not the dollies, just more weight than I expected.

I am not in the position to remove the tires to make the turns every time....anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

Just let um skid.....

It won't really hurt anything, it's just a part of the game.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
If you try to lift the front axle , all the weight is centered on that axle, so the full 9000 lbs.
You should make a device with 2 larger wheels to put under the pin in front, then lift that and weight goes to rear axle and that device, and front axle of trailer can even be lifted off the ground. you can even make a handle on that device to pull or push it around.
With front axle lifted totally I estimate of 9000 lbs to be 6000 on rear axle and 3000 lbs on pin.

Then keep rear axle on road and let overhang behind turn over the grass besides the road.

Also already read here about lowering the pressure.
Then the tread has the possibility to make an angle with the rimm, is called slipp-angle. Then the tires turn around the same centre.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Montreal , Quebec
I have to agree with the 'try and back it up', practice makes perfect. I had a friend who was an expert with reversing trailers and I had him do it for me, while I watched. Then we pulled it back out and he guided me, sometimes having to take over if I was off course. We did this for an entire day until I was comfortable to do it myself. For me the key was go slow with only small movements of the steering wheel. But it is daunting, I sympathize with your situation!
Good luck!
Ginga69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Multiple ways to do it.

Spend the effort to make a zero turn viable. Or spend the effort refining backup skills.

I squeeze my trailer through my side yard gates that are only 16" wider than the overall trailer. While having to negotiate a sharp bend just preceding it. I've learned to manage it in a single go most times now. Took more effort initially, but perseverance and practice makes it work.

Do you have a low range transfer case on your vehicle. That can help with additional control.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Surry , New Hampshire
can you adjust the height of the dolly so one axle takes most of the load? Moving back and forth a bit as you turn will be easier.
2. Drive one axle up on slip and slide plastic, add water and let the light axle slide around. It would take some practice to get the layout right but may be much easier than jacking
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Kingfield , Maine
Quote:
I have no choice but to zero turn the trailer. I bought two 1500 pound wheel dollies to lift the middle axle up....but that doesn't have what it takes to lift it up.....I thought it would be enough for easy rotation.

The wheel dollies work as I was able to lift a Saturn Vue with them...so its not the dollies, just more weight than I expected.

I am not in the position to remove the tires to make the turns every time....anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?
Maybe I dont understand the problem but I have always looked for the simplest solution. Take the wheels/ tires off of whichever axle makes the most sense and rotate!
spiderman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
four to six feet of clearance?

Hi, did I read this right? You have two to three feet on each side of the trailer. I don't have a 300' driveway, but I only have inches to back my trailer into it's spot. My wife used to help guide me, but now that I have a backup camera, I can do it all by myself. I think a backup camera might be just what you need. Also from your pictures, some plant life needs to be trimmed as it protrudes into your driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010101.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	343885  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote