Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
carlsbad , California
Lifting an Airstream? Ground clearance?

Hi helpful friends!

Just got a 2008 int sig 23d

We do a lot of off-road camping and hunting... I noticed that the underside is pretty low to the ground(I'm sure normal airstream low, not unusually low), especially the black abs plumbing on the shower rear of the trailer.

I'm a bit nervous about going to a few of our favorite destinations.

So my QUESTION... How do I get 2-5" of lift on this beauty?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The most common way of increasing the ground clearance is to replace the axles with new ones built with a greater downward angle. At ~$750 per axle delivered, with a self-install, it is a pricey way to go, but probably the most trouble free, and least of a hack. This will get you a few inches (2-3) of clearance--it would be tough to get 5" without some serious surgery (ie., rebuilding axle mounts and lifting the entire trailer several inches above the axle mounting point).

I would suggest doing something cleaver with air shocks to adjust the ride height, but the standard shocks mount in an almost horizontal configuration, and only have about an inch of travel, so again, some reinvention of the trailer would be required.

good luck

Old 06-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You are going to have to search for them but there are a couple of threads about raising our trailers using some sort of axle risers. They are a shaped block that goes between the axle and undercarriage. People that are using them here seem satisfied with the results.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I moved your thread to this forum as your question fits in this forum.

Assuming the trailer has horizontal shocks, there is no air shock made for the application. The only shock absorber that will work for the application is one and that is sold be the company and the dealer network. There is no aftermarket shock.

Due to the design of the axle system (a torsion spring axle) raising the trailer becomes difficult and costly. Basically you could raise the trailer off of the axle assembly as stated above. However there would be a point at which control of the trailer becomes an issue.

In my opinon, the Airstream travel trailer has evolved from something that was shown touring the world to a higher end trailer that leads a rather cushy life. The design isn't really to be used off road other than to be put in a camp site. The axle system and running gear are designed for a soft ride. This puts the user at some disadvantage when the road conditions or even camp site conditions become something more than benign.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I raised mine 3" pretty cheaply, I don't know how well what I did will translate to newer designs though. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403028219.533566.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	214398Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403028272.985790.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	721.8 KB
ID:	214399

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have to disagree slightly. The OP original post was regarding the distance the drain valves are below the trailer. If you look at the 1970's and perhaps the 1980's trailers, the drain valves are tucked under the bumper and take very little ground clearance. The newer trailer have drain valves sticking below the trailer like a SOB.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I moved your thread to this forum as your question fits in this forum.

Assuming the trailer has horizontal shocks, there is no air shock made for the application. The only shock absorber that will work for the application is one and that is sold be the company and the dealer network. There is no aftermarket shock.

Due to the design of the axle system (a torsion spring axle) raising the trailer becomes difficult and costly. Basically you could raise the trailer off of the axle assembly as stated above. However there would be a point at which control of the trailer becomes an issue.

In my opinon, the Airstream travel trailer has evolved from something that was shown touring the world to a higher end trailer that leads a rather cushy life. The design isn't really to be used off road other than to be put in a camp site. The axle system and running gear are designed for a soft ride. This puts the user at some disadvantage when the road conditions or even camp site conditions become something more than benign.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote