Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Lift Kit

Hello Experts!

I am over here because I just saw an Airstream for sale on Ebay that stated that it has a '6" Lift Kit' - here is the quote: "a 6 inch lift kit for the deep dips in Mexico".

I am interested in this.....I'm constantly worrying about dragging the back of the trailer......

Do you have anything to say? Can you explain what and how this works?

palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Your trailer is equipped with the Torflex style axle.(torsion).

The D80 style is what most other's are equipped with.

Unless your planning on some serious off road traveling modifying the AS axle to gain height isn't very practical.

If you look at the diagrams in the PDF you can get a better idea of how different the two styles are. The torsion, (AS) style would require much more fabrication for the mounts/brackets.

Now look at the leaf spring diagrams, notice how much easier it would be by just increasing the distance between the leaf spring and axle tube.

Lets get you LEVEL first, I think we can keep your "tail" off the road.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Lift Kit

Greetings Liz!

There are a number of issues to consider when raising an Airstream. Towability is one of the most frequently cited plusses of towing an Airstream and much of this relates to a low center of gravity (rides comparatively close to the road), comparatively aerodynamic shape, and balance. Makine substantial changes to any of these factors can negatively impact the trademark towability.

Should you find that your axles are worn out or approaching that point there are some things that can be done to gain a modest increase in ride height of approximately 3". When ordering new torsion axles, it is possible to specify a greater "down-angle", and that when combined with new axles can increase ride height in the neighborhood of three inches. You can also order new torsion axles with slightly increased capacity (up to 500 pounds additional per axle is usually the maximum increase), this can help to limit some of the settling that happens as weight is added to the coach - - when I ordered a new axle for my Minuet, I specified the maximum down angle along with 500 pounds of additional capacity -- resulting in a 3" higher ride height than the well-worn original axle.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1954 22' Safari
Little Compton , Rhode Island
Airstream height

My 54 Safari has experienced a loss in clearance height after installation of modern tires and rims.(still 15"). My axle is in OK shape but the clearance loss is causing some problems.
Anyone have any thoughts on the idea of using spring helpers or air lifts?
Collapso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Collapso, do a search for dropping the axle under the springs, the other more expensive alternative is to replace your original drop axle with a new straight axle. Advantages here include lighter weight and new modern brakes and the cost is much less than replacing a torsion axle.
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote