Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #61
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

...but it is what it is. The Brits burned down Washington, including the White House in 1814 - we’re chummy with them now (somewhat).
The burning of Washington was in retaliation for the unauthorized sacking of civilian property in Port Dover on Lake Erie by American Lieutenant Colonel John B. Campbell during the War of 1812.

p.s. Sorry for the thread hijack, but as I live in Port Dover I couldn't resist.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
The burning of Washington was in retaliation for the unauthorized sacking of civilian property in Port Dover on Lake Erie by American Lieutenant Colonel John B. Campbell during the War of 1812.

p.s. Sorry for the thread hijack, but as I live in Port Dover I couldn't resist.

Understood [emoji3]

Hey, we’ve all done something to piss someone else off. Can’t tell you how many childhood memories I have getting punished by my parents and the defense that THEY started it ended up meaning nothing [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Well after having used the Anderson Levelers for two seasons I have come full circle and like wood blocks from my milk crate a bit better for a couple of reasons.

The three reasons I don't like the Anderson levelers:
1.) slip on wet pavement, mud or leaves
2.) sometimes can get stuck up under the fender or wedged between the wheels
3.) when the trailer is pulled up onto the levelers you have to put the wedges up under the levelers. This causes me to get back in the truck another time and to let weight off the drivetrain and let the trailer settle into the levelers. Kind of a pain to me. When leaving you have to remove the wedges and back off or pull over the levelers potentially causing issues. This is even a bigger pain if you working solo.

I like 2 x 10 wood blocks:
1.) stack neatly in the milk crate
2.) they are easy to pull the trailer onto blocks without slipping
3.) the trailer can be pull over the wood blocks without issue
4.) I can quickly level by the use of the increments on the wheel masters trailer level which tell me how many blocks are needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	level.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	328230
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
SteveSueMac,

This is the most well thought out and reasonable comment regarding the Andersen incident I have read to date. Thank you.

Crispyboy,

Also a thank you for the attachment of the Level Master with indicators, very much appreciated.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:36 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoing Rzrbrn that SSM's two comments are spot-on level IMO.

Well said.

You are cleared to travel without any additional leveling devices!

Have a good Thanksgiving, all.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #66
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post

Yeah, and most of those soldiers considered themselves expats at the time; which means they were actually Canadian; which explains why they politely asked people to leave the buildings in Washington before they torched them; saying "sorry, yes, of course you can take the china".

On a note to this thread......I have actually used the remnants of my Coosa subfloor as levellers.......will not rot, far lighter than plywood, extremely strong and will not compress, won't absorb water, easily cleaned, just wipe off.

If you're close to a marina or shipyard that uses the product, ask them for their off cuts.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:28 AM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Haven't checked here in awhile...

Cheese & crackers got all muddy...how did we get from writing on rocks to burning Washington?

Anyone got a match? 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Understood [emoji3]

Hey, we’ve all done something to piss someone else off. Can’t tell you how many childhood memories I have getting punished by my parents and the defense that THEY started it ended up meaning nothing [emoji3]
Exactly.

By the way, having never been to the Arch and frankly no plans to see it, is this the only graffiti on it or are there other marks?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Cheese & crackers got all muddy...how did we get from writing on rocks to burning Washington?

Anyone got a match? [emoji23]

Bob

[emoji631]

Go back to reply #49 - it’s an interesting argument.

Sorry - no matches - gave up my favorite vice (great cigars) a few years ago [emoji3] (yes, I miss them...). Bringing this full circle - cigars are not good levelers. [emoji3]
Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Exactly.

By the way, having never been to the Arch and frankly no plans to see it, is this the only graffiti on it or are there other marks?

If you google “vandalism at national parks” you’ll see too many links to answer your question. The first being a statement from the NPS: https://www.nps.gov/articles/vandalism-hurts.htm
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #71
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Go back to reply #49 - it’s an interesting argument.

Sorry - no matches - gave up my favorite vice (great cigars) a few years ago [emoji3] (yes, I miss them...). Bringing this full circle - cigars are not good levelers. [emoji3]
I gave 'em up also...but recently I rationalized that at my age how much harm could 3 fingers of my favorite amber liquid and a fine leaf, rolled carefully really do...I do look forward to Saturday evenings. 🤪

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
If you google “vandalism at national parks” you’ll see too many links to answer your question. The first being a statement from the NPS: https://www.nps.gov/articles/vandalism-hurts.htm
There is also a NP graffiti thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ks-134458.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #73
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Stay on topic

Please keep posts to this thread about trailer leveling. Which is what this forum is about. There are other forums to discuss off topic items if you want/need that outlet.

If that can not happen this thread will be closed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thank you, Action. I'm an Airstream wannabe, looking for an early 2000's 34' no-slide. While I'm looking I'm trying to learn all I can about how to do things that will be different from my Foretravel. For example, I have had to drive onto pieces of wood to level only a couple of times, as the airbags handle that nicely. I have had them slide some once as I was driving on because the pavement was wet.

I've been thinking about leveling for some time. My first thought was a couple of 2x8's and a 1x8 long enough to take all three tires. The problem with that idea is that I'm carrying around a fair amount of wood and I would have to get it lined up correctly.

Then someone pointed me to the Andersen levelers and I thought they would be the way to go. Then the discussion about the vandalism came up and other brands of the same idea were mentioned. Lots of possibilities. I'd like to hear advantages and disadvantages of various devices, both home made and store bought.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #75
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Please start a new thread.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action