Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Any chance you all might consider continuing the Leveling discussion here, thus freeing up the other thread for Andersen graffiti related posts? At some point there may be an indictment issued, hopefully!

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Definitely interesting, though it really does seem all the slipping is going on *under* the ramps, not between the ramp & tire. Easy enough to try, I guess.

I also saw a thread where some AF members had put a pattern of hex-head stainless screws into the bottom of their red ramps which worked like a studded tire, improving the ramps’ traction against the ground. Might try that with the yellow ramps, though I wonder what that would do to the grey chocks we put under the yellow ramps to lock them in position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Smith View Post
I wonder if spray paint would cover red plastic. Keep the functionality, delete the advertising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Interesting. The listing notes it includes friction tape to put on the TOP of the leveler and to never put it on the bottom. That could mean with the added friction the rotation of the tire helps to draw the leveler under the it in stead of spitting it out.

If this holds true, I may not be so stupid after all. Nah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Had those - didn't help on the gravel.

I think I still have my legos....
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #42
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I made levelers out of 2x8. They can go up to 4.5" tall. Ends are beveled at 45 degrees. The base has two holes in it. Layer 2 has pieces of wood closet rod in holes match drilled to the base and two more holes for the third level pegs. Level 3 has closet rod in holes match drilled to the holes in level 2. My first version had the pegs pointing up, but that meant if I wanted 1 block at one wheel and 2 at the other it was hard to get things to line up when pulling on. My driveway is sloped such that I need one block right rear, two blocks right front, and one block left front.

I store them in the bumper drawer.

There was a post on here by someone who made Andersen-style levelers out of wood. He laminated up some 2x6. He stacked the laminated block on edge and cut the curved edges for the leveler and the chock. They looked like they would work just fine but it was a lot of work.

I was just before ordering some Andersens, but now am looking at alternatives. The Camco units appear to be too narrow to fully support the tires. 235 tires are 9.3" wide. The tread is not that wide, but I'm uncomfortable letting them hang off as much as the pictures on Camco's website show.

Al

I made some similar to your design many years ago for my truck camper. I beveled them and stacked them 3 high then drilled them in two places and I would shove carriage bolts in from the top to hold them (a slight recess into the tops to keep them flat). You can pin the first two together then if the third is needed add two more carriage bolts, or carry two sizes and pin them all at once
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

No slipping here...the painted 3/4" plywood has a stop to keep the leg-go's from slipping, hinged to fit the Classic's rear 'trunk', I limit the stack,3 high. Also work well under the stab's. 👍

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f59.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	310472   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f56.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	677.9 KB
ID:	310473  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1889.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	310474  
Old 05-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Any chance you all might consider continuing the Leveling discussion here, thus freeing up the other thread for Andersen graffiti related posts? At some point there may be an indictment issued, hopefully!

Thanks,

Peter
Agreed.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #45
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I’d prefer homemade.
Here are a couple of ideas from this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...cks-40678.html

Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There ya go.

Keep It Simple, Stu!

Sorry for the echo . . . we use scraps of 5/4 x 8 construction cedar, and carry a dozen or so for multiple other uses
-- under the tongue jack base
-- under a regular jack for changing tires
-- split up as kindling for camp fires
-- building blocks for the grandsons to play with

KISS

Old 05-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Chock and block those wheels!!!

Note that in any case, no matter how you level the rig, it is essential to keep the wheels from turning once you get the rig level.

An X-chock, or other reliable method of locking the wheels from turning is essential to your safety, and preventing Airstream foot pursuit videos from making the internet...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I bought the Beech Lane levelers from Amazon. They are very heavy duty.

Beech Lane Camper Leveler 2 Pack - Precise Camper Leveling, Includes Two Curved Levelers and Two Chocks, Heavy Duty Leveler Works for Campers Up to 35,000 LBs (2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TJC9FN..._OEW3BbHEX9BNE

I had to cut one to fit between the tires; I used a compound miter saw, but a table saw or circular saw could work if used carefully.

I never knew side-to-side leveling could be so easy!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #49
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
My red levelers work great. Guess all the Andersen haters don’t drive Japanese, German or Italian cars?
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
My red levelers work great. Guess all the Andersen haters don’t drive Japanese, German or Italian cars?
... are you referring to the very recent vandalism of our public lands and subsequent non-apologies by the owners of those car companies? Because I must have missed it.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
My post-Andersen pile ... old school!

Mostly 2x8 (or maybe 2x10, been a month or two since I sawed ‘em up), slathered with many coats of outdoor paint, in camperly green.

Works great.

Name:	50B57895-6B2C-4998-A25E-A05955A747EE.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	552.8 KB
ID:	328127
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
YES!. Camperly Green: I too am back to the old school. Another benefit is they don't flip up and lodge between your tires and the wheel well.

Also gives me a place to carve my initials should I ever feel a need to do so...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
... are you referring to the very recent vandalism of our public lands and subsequent non-apologies by the owners of those car companies? Because I must have missed it.
He may be referring to things that happened quite a few years ago...just guessing.

Wood blocks for me. I still crack up when I see people use $100 worth of injection molded plastic to level a trailer.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:08 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
. . .
Wood blocks for me. I still crack up when I see people use $100 worth of injection molded plastic to level a trailer.

Cedar 5/4 x 8 x ~14" blocks which are versatile for a variety of tasks, including being split for kindling!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Cedar 5/4 x 8 x ~14" blocks which are versatile for a variety of tasks, including being split for kindling!
Especially when they split the first time you drive on to them (maybe that was your point).
Old 11-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Tundra: American designed and manufactured. Probably has as much or more US content than some of the “domestic “ brands.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
He may be referring to things that happened quite a few years ago...just guessing.

Andersen carved his name in the side of an Arch last year or the year before, not "quite a few years ago", but it does not matter WHEN it was done. Consequently I won't buy anything more from his company.

Boogs pic of a wooden wedge ring a bell. I will cut some wood up and give it a try. One problem I had with the red levelers was a tendency to skid or slip when pulling up on them. The wooden blocks probably would be less prone to slippage. Great idea, thanks for posting the pics. One of those slap you head moments.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #58
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
KK4Y, very true but I think you are missing my point. I am pretty sure
Andersen is a 100% American small business with dozens of hard working
Employees. To see this company crash and burn because of the stupid
actions of the owner and his family seems pretty harsh. I think we have
forgiven the Germans, Japanese and Italians for their transgressions
during WWII that resulted in over 100 million human lives.

I am also pretty sure the majority of Toyota’s profits are funneled back
into Japan and rightly so.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI here is the thread about Ryan Andersen's graffiti, guilty plea, etc. and lots of discussion about the various issues cropping up here [again]:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...np-179854.html

FYI
Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
KK4Y, very true but I think you are missing my point. I am pretty sure

Andersen is a 100% American small business with dozens of hard working

Employees. To see this company crash and burn because of the stupid

actions of the owner and his family seems pretty harsh. I think we have

forgiven the Germans, Japanese and Italians for their transgressions

during WWII that resulted in over 100 million human lives.

I am also pretty sure the majority of Toyota’s profits are funneled back

into Japan and rightly so.

You make some good points. There is a significant difference between global war and Andersen’s selfish stupidity. Wouldn’t it be great to have neither?

Having said that - if I focus in on Andersen - that he would imagine himself so privileged as to have the “right” to deface our property on our land - (and involve his kids in the crime) and imagine there should be no consequence for that is hubris on top of stupidity. His actions and his actions alone put his company in jeopardy. His apology - the equivalent of being sorry for getting caught - is what continues to jeopardize the business.

He should have resigned and handed the company over to others (there’s no one there who could run it without him? hard to believe....). That way, he could have put distance between his selfish stupidity and the honest, hard working families he put in jeopardy.

Life isn’t consequence-free. At best, it’s consequence-delayed. He should have stepped up to the plate and taken real accountability for this immediately. He didn’t. He wants to skate by with a fake apology and hope no one notices.

I wish the innocent families of that company all the best, but until and unless he leaves, they’ll never see another dollar from me, nor will I act as free marketing/advertising for them.

That’s *my* choice - everyone’s mileage can and should vary and I’m not here to judge one way or another. If you want their products, have at it and happy camping!

As for global wars - let’s be honest - there’s plenty of reason for others countries to boycott us too. Countries fight and hopefully make up. When you zoom out far enough, it makes no sense. Sagan made that point brilliantly here:

https://youtu.be/GO5FwsblpT8

...but it is what it is. The Brits burned down Washington, including the White House in 1814 - we’re chummy with them now (somewhat).

There’s not much rhyme or reason to this stuff. Which is exactly why camping is so essential - level your camper with whatever you like - I’m perfectly capable of holding my own opinion without judging those whose opinions differ from mine.... [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote