Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The base has two holes in it. Layer 2 has pieces of wood closet rod in holes match drilled to the base and two more holes for the third level pegs. Level 3 has closet rod in holes match drilled to the holes in level 2. My first version had the pegs pointing up, but that meant if I wanted 1 block at one wheel and 2 at the other it was hard to get things to line up when pulling on.

Al

I was just thinking about pinning/slotting the levels so that they’d lock, and your solution is better than what I was thinking about.

I also liked a prior comment to use cedar, but it’s not as common as pine when scrap hunting. If buying the lumber, it makes a lot of sense.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieKiYa View Post
They also make good planks for walking on when the camp is rain soaked and soggy. Or built up as a step if the ground under your entry is low. Or as someone else mentioned, they hold down camp rugs on windy days.

When they get cracked or have outlived their usefulness, they make good firewood, too. Pilfer the hopper or bonfire pile at a construction site and you can replace it for free.

They do eat up payload capacity and space, though not as much as a teenage boy who can’t get off of his phone. :-)
All great points. I started with [2ea] 16’ of 12”x2” Pressure treat. Backed the truck near the trailer and used as ramp to slide the next to last AC unit onto the roof from the bed.

Then cut down to 6’ for trailer parking (per Michelin, on any surface) and last pieces were 12” sq for stabilizers. Extras not needed in leveling are for entryway.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Then cut down to 6’ for trailer parking (per Michelin, on any surface) ...
6'? What did Michelin specify? At first I thought you said 6" and it meant the width under the tread.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I typically use various 2x8 and 3/4' plywood boards with beveled ends. I also have a set of the interlocking blocks for when I need even more.

I tried An**&&ns but sent them back as they didn't fit well between the two axles with 16" wheels. I just got a set of Camcos. I think they will be useful for quick, one night stops and in conjunction with the LevelMate.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I made levelers out of 2x8. The base has two holes in it. Layer 2 has pieces of wood closet rod in holes match drilled to the base and two more holes for the third level pegs. Level 3 has closet rod in holes match drilled to the holes in level.
Al
I assume the pegs are needed to keep levels 2 & 3 from sliding around, right?

I’ve been thinking of doing something like that.

Would you have a picture? I seem to be short on visualization.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There was a patent that specified three pieces of steel pinned like a piano hinge on the connection points. Two of the pieces are curved and the assy folds for storage. The patent recognizes that a plastic form with same function could be used. Hmmm???

Link to patent is in other thread. There is also info there about black curved levelers from what seems to be another source. So, no need to do without a good idea if you think it is.

I don't, because I really like the legos. Lift, load spread, lighter than wood, generally don't slip. What is not to like. Well, rocks do get stuck in the bottom holes, they often need some fiddling to stack. You can only use one type as they don't mix and match. But they are sunk cost and I'm up for using them.

Wood - too heavy. Does not come in silver. Can have some bad bugs if you pull it from the wrong construction stack. And splits when most needed. But Murphy is highly over rated. Most of us have a board or two that just takes up space and could be repurposed.

Also cut up a piece of plywood into 16" x 16" squares. Provides a light weight base for stablizers and tongue jack. Gets used for a stepping stone when the wet arrives. Is a work surface to protect picnic table from grill heat. And the list goes on.

Be flexible and you too can get level. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Best thing about the yellow Camco ramps: shorter and lighter than the red ones. Thus, easier to use on a dual-axle trailer, and easier to carry around.

Worst thing: steeper ramp means they want to slip as you roll up on them even more than the red ones do.

To misquote a famous movie, "We're gonna need a bigger roll of friction tape."

OTOH, we still have our three bags of Lynx blocks and flat caps for them. We mostly use them for stabilizers and the tongue jack, but they have always worked well for most anything at all. May eventually go back to the blocks for leveling and toss *all* those ramps.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Is anyone interested in aluminum levelers?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3302.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	309251
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
Attachment 309251
now thats a leveler!

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
Attachment 309251

Now where'd you find those??????
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Now where'd you find those??????

They were made in the 70's I believe. I looked in to casting new but am looking at about $200 per pair retail.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I assume the pegs are needed to keep levels 2 & 3 from sliding around, right?

I’ve been thinking of doing something like that.

Would you have a picture? I seem to be short on visualization.
The trailer is in storage. I will be pulling it next week and will take pictures.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've been using my pressure treated 2x8's for 12 years. They still work as good as new. As to being heavy, Naaaaa. Cheap and easy to replace should I forget them somewhere. Personally I don't see the need for anything else.

PS: I think I have a set of those aluminum things too. Never used them. I forget I even have it

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I wish I had seen these before buying the plastic Camcos.....

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...saAi6HEALw_wcB
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
http://https://www.amazon.com/Beech-...rds=beech+laneI just learned of these today. I think I am willing to take a closer look.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Guessing your link meant to lead here?

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ca.../dp/B078TMK6ZD

Your link did not work, but this one says "unavailable."
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #37
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
I'm weighing in favor of the wood scraps.

I enjoy making stuff out of my own junk, and do not wish to incur unnecessary expense..

Mine are treated plywood with round-over edges, painted alkyd black. They were cut to fit an old metal milk basket that carries all the “outside gimmicks” pertinent to trailer.. The flat boards multi-function, and can even support automotive jackstands. The milk basket can be a step, seat, jack safety, and heighten me when threading the rope 'n' pole awning into its rail.

Yup, sneak preview... I'm building a '68 K10 Suburban “companion” for the '68GT.

It may be different for tandems and tridems, but no board slip issues leveling the 3000 pound, single axle GT. Various board heights and ramp angles are achievable.

Re-purposing wood scraps works OK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0797.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	309373   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0798.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	309374  

Name:	DSC_0799.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	309375   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0758.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	309376  

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I would like to replace the Andersen leveler also, due to the Corona Arch issue.

I have a single axle trailer and have parked in some very uneven locations, once in a state park in TN the tire had to be lifted about 7 inches to find level.

I made beveled 2x6" layered wood blocks, have the Lynx blocks, and have 6" wood blocks (painted). I have a hard time judging how many blocks to use and kept having to roll back and forth as new blocks were added.

I also have the BAL 28050 Light Trailer Tire Leveler (Amazon). I may go back to using it. It is heavy and requires a block under the 15" wheel to raise the wheel enough to fit the thing under the tires. A bit hard to turn the racket that comes with it but a longer handle wrench does the trick as does an electric battery drill.

Much prefer the Andersen levelers, but may try the Camco 44423 or the Beech Lane Camper Leveler. The metal Blaylock is a bit too heavy and may damage the wheel well. I have had the Andersen flip up into the wheel well and get wedged between the tire and the wheel well. I shudder to think what would have happened with the big metal Blaylock. These types of levelers do slip sometimes, but overall work have worked well.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:40 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Interesting suggestion regarding the Beech (from the Amazon description) when using with tandem axles:

"TWO LEVELERS CAN BE USED FOR DUAL AXLE TRAILERS, BUT UP TO 4" MAY NEED TO BE CUT OFF THE END OF ONE LEVELER DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH SPACE IS BETWEEN TIRES- For dual axle trailers one leveler may need to be cut to length to fit, up to 4" can be cut off the leveler with no adverse effects. The amount of space needed between tires to fit without cutting depends on tire size. Typically it is about 2.5" to 3" of space, but this varies with tire size."

People use these in place of a jack when used with tandem axle trailers.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Guessing your link meant to lead here?

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ca.../dp/B078TMK6ZD
The listing notes up to four inches mohair to be cut off to fit between tandem axles.